Menopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all!

Just came across this site.  I am 50,  was 50 in January this year.  I have 3 other friends all the same age in various different stages of peri-menopause/menopause which in a lot of ways is re assuring as can speak to them about it.  My periods have always been every 5 weeks thereabouts since i was 14, 3 years ago it all started to change.  I then went to 28 days like clockwork.  I have always suffered from quite bad PMT/PMS but when i have been to the doctors I have always felt they never seemed to take it seriously and listen to me about how i was feeling.  I have read all the posts on here and i feel exactly the same, one day ok, the next extremely anxious, weepy, forgettful, unattractive (not characters of snow white)! however they are all marching along side me.  This month i developed an eye infection i went to the doctors 4 times, eventually with her referring me as i was continuously getting an infection.  That day i felt slightly edgy, she took my blood pressure and not suprisingly it was high.  The next day i had another period, after 16 days from the last one!! i was then on for 10 days!.  I know its all changing. I have been to the doctors again and had to the 24 hour blood pressure thing and an ecg.  All this is compouding my worry and anxiety, now making me feel with the high blood pressure more anxious! I do not know what would be right for me, i am trying to eat healthy and excercise (have dog) so out every day).  I am thinking that i might be desperate enough for HRT although my head is really scared with the media reports about it causing cancer, the other alternative anti-depressents, all i know is that i cannot go on feeling like this.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I know exactly how you feel! !!! Im 48 been in perimenopause 8 years. Its been sheer hell.

I went on mirtazapine an antidepressant in Nov and it did help. Unfortunately I gained weight so trying to come off them but not sure im ready.uMy periods are every two months now. The depression and anxiety is the worst. Developed acid reflux as well caising shortness of breath!!!! Some days just yoo much to cope eith.

Just keep telling yourself this to shall pass. Im told you feel much better on the other side. God bless

Feel free to talk anytime it so helps x

• Posted

Sorry you are feeling so bad Nikiola. You are in good company here. Read over some of the posts where people are trying different supplements and vitamins first before anything else. May work for you. JayNeeJay has wonderful suggestions. Look her posts over as well.

I know and so do many others the point you are at right now. No consolation right now, but this will all pass, so please as bad as you feel right now, just keep in mind, it's temporary. This can be a scary time, but I can tell you it has taken me to kiss several toads (in this case visits different doctors) to find the right one to help me navigate through this time as well.  My first one wanted me on Anti-depressants, another said tried HRT patch........ugh.....the list is long. Now I've gone the way of Naturopath who picked up my thyroid is hypo now and adding to the "fun". 

Today I am to see Integrative medicine doctor to hopefully pull it all together. I am 56 and only in past 1- 1 1/2 yrs have really been going through the (what I hope is) final tail spin of perimenopause. I had period last December, so I won't be considered menopausal until it's been a solid year of no periods. Have had many of the symptoms you mention and do feel I am actually starting to improve, save for the new onset of hypothyroidism.

So welcome to this "club" you are in good hands here. You will be ok.

Annie xx

• Posted

Also Nikiola, if it does turn out that HRTs are what help you, please don't panic, some ladies do well with them. My godmother used HRTs way back and she's now 87 years old with no issues other than the expected aging process. Her mind is great. So provided you have a physician that is knowledgable in this area, don't let it scare you. If it should happen to turn out that it would benefit me (I already use progesterone cream ordered by MD on limited basis which has been helpful and that is HRT really) to use full HRT to enhance quality of life, I will.  Best to you.

Annie xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for you replies its really helped, was feeling very much alone in this! after reading your replies feel a bit more positive, am seeing Doc tonight so hopefully will get to the bottom of some of my problems, anxiety,high BP etc etc.  Im trying to keep an open mind on all that is available to me.
  • Posted

I would not do HRT if you have high blood pressure, HRT can cause more side effects  with anxieties cancer stroke if you have high blood pressure, and heart attacks. 

I have read that a lot of women who are on HRT have more problems than ever. 

I understand you can't go on feeling this way I would think of a small dose of an antidepressant for your anxieties not a high dose just a small dose to take away the anxieties and try meditating, exercising, and relaxation also learn some yoga these things can help relieve a lot of symptoms 

I am on an antidepressant zoloft 25mg and ativan 1mg 3 times daily and It calm me down at times then I take walks with my dog and I am praying to God. 

Its the stress and worry that is causing the anxieties because I am that way too I worry a lot myself I am working with a therapist to help me realize what I am going through with my worries and anxieties. 

Try not to worry think of other stuff get your mind on something else thats what my doctor tells me stay busy stay active everything will be fine you will make it through this you are going to be okay just tell your self that 

Good luck and hope everything works out

• Posted

I agree totally with this advice

If we just hang on and keep believing things will get better x

• Posted

I'm with Annieshaeffer on this one......don't be afraid of HRT if that's what's needed..its whatever works for you.

I took it for 8 years, am in my 60s now and FINE....raised blood pressure can just be stress. As long as you have the right Doctor who is listening to you and prepared to help you ( keep a diary of symptoms/ feelings)  there is help out there. We don't need to suffer anymore.

Good luck Hun.💕

• Posted

Again thank you all for really helpful advise. Asked Dr about anti-depresents, seemed very reluctant to go down that route!  She listened to me when i said that i didnt think i had high blood pressure just severe anxiety whichis affecting it!  I read somewhere that with falling estrogen levels it is replaced with adrenalin, well that was what i was feeling,  In answer to that yes am go to do Yoga and have just completed a self referral to talking therapy which the Dr seemed to think might help.  Have been told i have mild hypertension and was going to go down the route of bp reducing pills, however after explaining the anxiety bit i now have to go back in 3/4 months to check it again and see if it has changed,however i know my own body and talked with the Dr at length trying to explain that i think it is my anxiety that is raising it as always been perfect bp readings up until 2013.  She confirmed with blood tests that i am peri-menopausal which explains and confirms why i am feeling like this.  I have over the last 10 years off and on suffered from health anxiety again linked im sure with hormones as never had anything like that before.  Im a fairly positive person, i do worry but never to this extent i am now, i think as far as i know its a 10 years slide into the menopause, this started for me at about 40, which adds up i suppose  I just need to deal with it now.  Was stressed to the hilt yesterday getting results from Dr, was releived to hear that hormone levels in blood all over the place, so glad at least, that that feeling that you are going mad as to why i was feeling like that was explained. phew.  The 24 hour blood monitoring system was horrible, everytime it went awf i got more stressed, i was either driving or in a shop which was a bit embarrassing to say the least as it makes this funny buzzing sound, it goes off every hour at night, so thats a bit of a shock, in the end it got disconnected at about 1.30am!
    • Posted

Bless you. I totally get the anxiety! !!! Ive been in perimenopause for 8 years. Last two years I had anxiety on steroids!!!!! Lol. Not funny I know but if I dont laugh I will cry. Still on low dose antidepressant which helps me sleep but coming off them very slowly Due to weight gain. Will just have to see how Iit goes. Just keep telling yourself this too shall pass!!!! Because it will. Be kind and patient with yourself. Keep talking these sites are the only thing that have kept me sane biggrin.
    • Posted

Thank you, thank you yes, im so glad i found this site  yesterday.  Is helping massively.  I think now that even it if look at a BP monitor my stress levels go through the roof. lol. x  Will stay on here for sure.

• Posted

Hi ,I like you was 50 at the beginning of the year ,also like you I always had irregular periods could be between 5/6 weeks and exactly the same thing happened to me about 18 months ago periods started coming every 28 days which in a way was a bit of a novelty ! I too have always suffered from PMS , mood swings ( of the worst kind ) ,tearfulness, irritability second to none , tiredness ,aching legs ,sore breasts you name it ! Have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks and bouts of depression for years ,started taking Seroxat 20 mg about 15 yrs ago ,controlled the panic attacks wonderfully ,although did gain weight ! Just recently though have noticed that the anxiety has crept up a notch again especially when my period is due ! Will be so glad when this phase of my life is over but if what I read is anything to go by could be a while ! You are lucky in that your GP seems willing to listen ,first GP ( a woman ) I saw just told me to up the dose of antidepressants and would not prescribe HRT, the second GP couldn't get this weeping woman out of the room quickly enough ,after flicking through his BNF very briefly thrust a prescription for HRT at me think to just shut me up !! So far haven't made a decision as to whether to take it or not ! Anyway you are definitely not on your own , and think you should do what you feel is right for you ,you will always find people with differing views on HRT if it helps then go for it I say ,it is a personal choice ! Only thing that did put me off is that apparently once you stop taking HRT the symptoms return ,maybe something to think about ! Good luck x
    • Posted

Sarah,

I have to laugh when I read about the 2nd GP "couldn't get this weeping woman out of the room quickly enough..." That was me too, January 2014. I handed my GYN a list of my symptoms and a quote from some online forum of a woman who described me to the hilt! I couldn't even speak because I was busy blubbering aways with a bucketful of tears!lol! rolleyes 

My GYN went one step further-he slapped a Combipatch on me before I left the room and promised all would be good from the on.

Haha!-Not so much. That particular HRT did not agree with me and within 8 days I developed extreme fatigue (worse than I already had) a 3 cm breast cyst and all kinds of nonsense. I tore it off and went on a mission to find the best way for me since. Thank heavens I found this forum as it's been most helpful!

I agree.....use of HRTs are a very personal choice and what may work for one, doesn't always for another.  I say quality of life is most important these days. I haven't ruled it out all the way for myself yet. My godmother used them and came off them when the time was right for her (many years ago, no less) and never had an issue. Odd how it goes that way, isn't it?

Thank you for reminding me of where I have been and the laughs!

Annie xx

• Posted

Your welcome Annie !! , it is good to try and have a little sense of humour (when you can ) about these issues ! Life as they say is a journey unfortunately some have more of a bumpy ride than others !                                

Best wishes Sarah x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.