Menopause

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies , this is my first post ever on anything so a little nervous 😬. I'm 49 and  going through the menopause , I thought I'd gone through it as last year as a male dr told me I had , so I thought great ????I've sailed through this , now fast forward & I hate to admit it but I ended up on Monday at doctors an emotional wreck 😩& came away with sertraline instead of the HRT that I planned on , has anyone else had this drug & has it helped ? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Nikki,

I haven't been on that particular antidepressant, but I do take one, completely unrelated to menopause, I've been on it since my 20s to deal with anxiety issues, it's also an SSRI. But I think it helps my crazy emotional meno symptoms somewhat, my anxiety levels have risen since my hormones are nuts. I've read some women seem to need something along with the HRT to get them over the hurdle. Whether it's right for you or not will be up to you and your doc..

Best Wishes!!

Gigi

• Posted

Hi Nikki. Yes I am on 50 mg a day of it and have my life back . My doctor gave me an article that research was done and it is even prescribed in small dose to alleviate  severe PMS. It takes a while to the medication to get into the efffect but once it does you will see changes . It took me about two weeks to start feeeling relief and up to 3 month to get back to my normal . I have all 66 perimenopausal symptoms but am very blessed with my GYN. I also read an article a few days ago written by GYN about perimenopause admitting that it is a very hard time for women and that we need to sick a doctor who will be understanding. She also recommended a small dose of antidepressant . I hope that I help you some . Good luck with everything but people say that there is light at the end of tunnel . At least for now my attitude towards my symptoms changed and my anxiety got much better . Take care 
  • Posted

Hi Nikki, yes I have been on those meds and stop it after 6 months because of feeling strange and weird..but hope it helps you good luck.
  • Posted

I was put on citalopram. Took a while to work and side effects were quite unpleasant but once they settled it seems to help.

I have also started HRT.

• Posted

Yes Iv been on setraline for bout 4 years 100mg. It's made me feel a bit unemotional like my emotions have flat lined. The side effects were terrible but after a couple of months I could function again, my anxiety was awful and depression meant I could not go to work. Hang in there, go walks, laugh with friends or watch you favourite comedy programme. Write down how you feel too I found that helped a bit. Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.