Menopause

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a question about periods and eating disorders. I haven't had a period for about 10 years but I am only 31 and I have been underweight or exercised excessively when of healthy weight since the age of about 19 years old. I know this isn't healthy but it is what it is. Anyway, my questions is - because I don't have periods and haven't had them for so long have I gone through the menopause or will I still get menopausal symptoms at a later age? Many thanks for any experience or knowledge about this. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gabriella,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I would be reluctant to say this is menopause, but I would visit your GP to talk about this. If you're worried about approaching your GP, why not check out some of the resources on Beat's website (the UK's eating disorder charity) which include preparing for a GP meeting to talk about eating disorders. One of the things I would ask for is a Dexa scan, to see if restriction, low weight and extreme exercise have had any impact on your bones. Osteopoenia and osteoporosis are also signs of amenorrhea (period loss). I would also suggest requesting an ultrasound to look at what damage has been done to your body as a result of this.

It does sound like you need support in some way. I'd really encourage you to call the Beat helpline, which is open from 3pm-10pm every day of the year and is a free and confidential helpline. If you're reluctant to speak on the phone, there are plenty of other options such as online chat and online support groups.

All the best

• Posted

Hi Kat. Thank you for your reply. My gp already knows about my weight and I've already had treatment for the ED but I don't see it ever fully going away. I've had it for over 10 years and it's too engrained. Yes I've had a dexta scan and I'm borderline osteoporosis. My latest blood tests showed low calcium so I think that by my next dexta scan in about 2/3 years time I'll be in the osteoporosis category. To be honest I am so depressed as it is that none of this really bothers me. Thank you for your help x

• Posted

That's not a problem. I hate to be the person who "has had it worse" but I wanted to reassure you that actually it can go away. I'm nearly 29 and have suffered since I was 11. A couple of years ago I recovered, so keep the hope!

I don't really know much about menopause in eating disorders, but again, it would be worth speaking to your GP about this.

You mentioned about treatment - have you ever had any dietetic support, it might help with the low mood.

• Posted

I don't think so but I'm not a medic.

After 10 yrs of anorexicBulimic my periods stopped for ages (like 10 yrs) bit by bit (I diabetic) but I finally had reached a healthy weight and I conceived a 7lb girl.

My periods stopped for 10 yrs. I thought I'd never have children.

But it's never irretrievable .My body recoverad from diabetes, alcohol and anorexia.

Don't give up. Your body is built to bare babies. Just don't abuse it. . Please take care of yourself. Eat, take your vits and lead a healthy life.

You can't possibly bring healthy offspring if you don't do this. Xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Kelly. I don't want children anyway I was just rather hoping maybe I wouldn't get the menopause later on seeing as my periods stopped long ago but maybe I'll still get the hot flushes etc when I reach the age of a natural menopause. Happy to hear you were able to have children. I'm not at all maternal myself. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.