Menopause

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello All

Feeling a little low at the moment having been dealing with LS for almost two years now. Seems like the menopause has hit in big time. Night sweats, flushes, feeling extra sensitive downstairs and so dry! I have appointment with my gyne next month. We did touch on trying low dose HRT on last visit. I definetly feel im not just dealing with the LS but now also the symptons of the menopause. Im 55. Has anyone deal with both and will a low dose HRT help in your experiences?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi SuO2,

I have been hit with both as well.

I don't have much insight to offer as far as the LS other than coconut oil does really help with dryness.

Also...caffeine was a HUGE trigger to having a heat flash. If I ate chocolate or had a coke...it was would always lead to a heat flash. I chose to have heat flashes every morning with coffee...love my coffee! Other than that...I stayed away from caffeine the rest of the day.

As you are learning...they hit regardless. Tips from my friends that actually helped

• Run your wrists under cool water during a heat flash. It really helped me.
    • Sleep with a fan and different blankets...lightweight to heavy so you can change them throughout the night if you are in a cold climate. During winter, I would be cold...wake up and be too hot...grab a different blanket that wasn't so warm. I also had a tee shirt on under a warm PJ top and would be able to just pull the warm one off. When I woke up drenched...I had the fan by me to cool off if I was still in the heat flash.
    • Summer is my enemy for the last 3 years. If it is above 75 degrees...I am pretty much in a heatflash. So hang around the coolest places...do outside work during the coolest parts of the day if that is possible or you need to.
    • They have sheets that are geared for heatflashes.,,.they stay cool. My sister loves them...I haven't tried them yet...

That's about all I know to do...and all that I have tried other than the sheets. Good luck with it all. It's not a pleasant part of life...but hope you find things that help you. Caffeine, warm temperatures and during night was and is the worst for me.

• Posted

Deep breathing relaxation techniques are supposed to help with hot flashes. Just heard a nurse discussing it recently on the radio. Meditation with deep breathing is supposed to help just about everything actually. Can't hurt to try. I haven't had much of an issue with them, but I do notice I sleep much better and wake less often with an overhead fan on the lowest setting. There are also many herbs that are supposed to help with menopausal issues as well as foods like yams and tofu that contain phytoestrogens which are naturally occurring compounds.

Good luck. Let us know if you do end up taking oral estrogen and if that affects the LS.

• Posted

Anything is worth a try! I will endeavour to share how the HRT works for me

• Edited

hello

i really do sympathise i have had a real bad menopause and i have LS.

i wont take HRT as have cases of breast cancer in the family.

a friend told me to try Clonidine for hot flushes. apparently it opens the blood vessels have to say been taking fir about 3 months, whilst i still get the odd night sweat and hot flush, it is much better.

doctor prescribed estrogen cream to use internally.

i use alternate between coconut oil and vtamen e pessories and always use an emollient, touch wood it is under control at the moment.

good luck to you menopause and LS can be miserable

• Edited

This whole LS thing is so confounding. I see here that most of us have menopausal symptoms: hot flashes, sweats, dryness, atrophy, etc. I must be atypical because I have never had ANY menopausal symptoms, absolutely zero. (I wish I had hot flashes because then I'd be warm and not cold). Twelve years out of menopause and now LS shows up. Can't figure it out since girls (and men) get LS, estrogen deficiency cannot be the only cause. Used to be called "white spot disease," and while not a terribly sophisticated name, doctors knew decades ago it was not an estrogenic disease. If you find any doctor who claims to know it now, hang on to that person! Maybe I should go back to the old literature from the turn of the century.

• Posted

yes ladies - MENOPAUSE does change everything BUT this is something our bodies do understand and respect...it is US that have to adapt...slowing down (I am 68 and went through "the change from 48 through 52) is NOT necessarily a bad thing...I had one of the worst 4 years of my life with negative changes BUT weathered "the storm"....our mothers never talked about it (after all what did they really prepare us for 50 plus years ago) and we had to learn through "girlfriends"...everyone's path is different and through knowledge and education comes wisdom...do what your body needs and asks for...some foods might help, some med's might help...staying focused and strong u WILL weather the storm...HRT did help me...I stayed on for 3 years and then slowly stopped..was not easy and to me it WAS the "fountain of youth"....lets face it the 30's and 40's r 2 great decades for a women...BUT do not fear the 50's and 60's..it brings GREAT mental health also...menopause (unfortunately) is a natural part of life....best of love and luck to US all....

• Posted

Vickie- Great post here and a great attitude. Thank you for sharing. I assume you have supportive friends and family. This current problem is the very first problem i Have had. No menopausal symptoms at all and never problems before so all this comes as a rude awakening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.