menopause - aches and pains - knees -

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi - thought i was going mad sad - went to my docs and was sent 4 a x-ray and blood test - was sure i had arthritis - over the last 12 months my periods had gradually become irregular - turned the dreaded 50 in feb :wink: - but didn;t feel depressed about that - i suprised myself - then wow - my knees over the last month having been killing me :cry: - anyway to cut a long story short my results came back - no arthritis smile thank goodness but my blood showed menopausal? my doc was quite unhelpful after initally giving me confidence she was going to sort me out lol - so what was her advice - exercise - believe me i don;t need any more - very active - she said :!: that i could only be offered pain-killers for any relief - no way i said - i don;t believe in popping pills - occasional paracetamol when really needed - so basically has anyone found a solution which me help me - i;m thinking maybe of herbel substance i.e cod liver oil capsules or similiar - no mention of hrt but i briefly looked into this and found alot of people actually ended up worse - and as its early days yet don;t want to jump in the deep end - thanks 4 taking time to read this smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, suse. I made it to 55 then had a surprise bakers cyst (fluid builds up behind the knee joint caused by things like a cartiledge tear or arthritis). Doctors did physical checks and tests but couldn't get down to a specific cause. So what has helped me with my knees, that might help you too - I take cod liver oil capsules every day and I saw a physiotherapist who gave me a stretchy band and a list of exercises that focus on strengthening the muscles around the knee joint. That was the medical advice and help. What I also decided to do for myself was buy a joint cream that I rub in to my knees twice a day - made with arnica, lavendar, ginger, eucalyptus and cammomile essential oils from The Little Cornish Soap Company.

Maybe something like these things may help with the pain in your knees? I hope so. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi suse

I am 50 and was having had a terrible time with joint pain in peri menopause...not my knees at all, but shoulders, elbows and hips. It took me ages to get a GP to listen to me, because blood tests showed no inflammation which is of course correct...because menopausal arthris is not inflammatory. It is all due to having no or low estrogen (estrogen usually helps to cushion the joints, keep cartilage and sofft tissue supple.)However, considering my GP is supposed to be the joints and rheumatoid expert of the practice...it beggars belief that he had never heard of menopausal arthritis!! I finally saw a young, keen female GP who listened to me and didnt make me feel like a silly, over anxious old lady.

My pain was ruining my life, affecting everything I did from dressing, to walking. I could not walk let alone exercise, I could hardly get out of bed and was in severe pain. I seriously could not cope with it so when my bloods showed FSH levels this young GP said it was all hormonal. I could not believe hormones (or lack of them) could do so much damage. So.....I decided to try HRT. I know this is not for everyone, and I dont like popping pills either...but I felt I had no choice.

I do feel I made the right decision for me.

For natural apprach, Glucosamine chondriotin, and and eggshell membrane is supposed to be wonderful for joint pain...you can get both from healthspan in the UK.

I hope you feel better

Lesley

• Posted

So sorry for all the typos.

I am on an iPad, and it is awful to type on...or it changes all my words!!!

• Posted

suse....just realised I did not mention what a difference HRT made...within three days the pain had subsided and I knew I had my 'cure'. Early days for me yet, but I feel FABULOUS in other ways too, I feel ten years younger and will be sticking to this for as long as they let me...(God willing no side effects)
  • Posted

Hi I'm 53 and menopausal. I suffered from hip and knee pain to the point it was keeping me awake at night, my GP sent me for arthritis tests, which came back negative smile. I heard of the revolutionary FitFlop foot wear and after purchasing one pair and wearing them day in and day out I can honestly say I no longer suffer from these pains. I also purchased a cheaper version and they have worked just as well (the FitFlop winter boots are extortionate!) I wear the boots all winter and the FitFlops all summer, with the occasional high heels when the need arises.
  • Posted

They put me on high Vit. D for aches and pains....joint stuff

LIke 2000 IU

every now and again i cut back on it,to 800 IU , and i do this myself....Rhumetologist doesnt know....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.