Menopause and acupuncture

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies.

i a. On the second session of acupuncture to help with my menopause symptoms, first treatment last week was fine, no pain. Had another session yesterday and felt a lot of pain, didn't sleep much last night as the pain in my breast were they inserted the needles is very sore, even today, my shoulders and back hurts too from the needles. I feel tired too. I've contacted my acupuncturist and she says it's normal. I'm not sure if it's another meno symptoms that's causing the pains in my body. Didn't go work today as I feel very tired. 

Any ladies have tried acupuncture to help with peri symptoms? 

Kadija

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've not tried acupuncture and would be interested how you get on and any other ladies experiences but quite frankly would try anything to cope with this hideous menapause.

• Posted

The first treatment was great, stopped the headache and other peri symptoms, but yesterday my second session made my body hurt, not sure if she put. Too many needles t once? But No meno symptoms, just body aches an pains.
  • Posted

I get wiped out from acupuncture sometimes too. I make sure to take it easy the rest of the day and drink lots of water. I can't say I've ever had needles in my breasts though! Ouch

Acupuncture helped tremendously with the frozen shoulder I developed. 

Make sure you research your acupuncturist. I see an older Chinese man, he's fantastic. Had some bad acupuncture once, she went right through my clothing! 

• Posted

Hi Kadija

I went to two sessions of acupuncture and it helped me some . I am 51 and struggling with all possible peri symptoms. I also walk and exercise a lot . Long walks are really helping me the best . I had an old Chinese lady and she was wonderful . Very caring and really trying to listen and to help . To be honest I did not have any pains after my sessions . But I have different body aches and burning sensations . I have severe neck pain and stiffness . Sometimes difficulties to swallow . I have hip pains . Pins and needle sensations and burnings like an sinsect sting. I have been to many physicians and had many tests . All came back normal . Good luck with everything . I also mentioned in one of the forums that I am drinking sage tea every day . I just  buy fresh sage dry it and make tea. I read somewhere that researched showed that it helps to alleviate hot flushes . 

Regards . 

• Posted

Hi gema

i am 51 too and am still in peri, my periods are every 3wks, not heavy anymore. 

my first session of acu was  last week, it was pain free, helped all my symptoms and I felt like a new person, this session  yesterday really hurt when she put the needles in my shoulder and back muscles. Everywhere else was fine, she did mention my shoulder and back muscles felt like stones, it hurt when she pressed on it before applying needles.

after she left me to relax  It was really painful and I told her about it, and she added another needle around that area. I'm new to acupuncture and it seems like the pains is subsiding this afternoon, had a hot bath and scrub, the good thing is the headaches are nearly gone and my blood pressure is in normal range as I have high bp and on meds. I don't have anymore joint pains, it's also help with my gastritis.

hopefully tomoro the pains will have ceased.  

Kadija

• Posted

I've had lots of acupuncture done in the past, but never for peri symptoms. What worked for me and it was suggested by my doctor was Arnica. She said, used it whereever you feel sore or have breast pain. I got I would used Arnica and almost like magic it went away. I had arm pain too and it took it away. Put it on at night, and in the morning you will feel better.  My pain subsided after about 2-3 nights of putting it on. 

• Posted

Hi there,  I have been going to acupunture for several months now.  I know the first couple times I felt good, but after the third sesson, I was like you I didn't feel great!  For several days........I will say what I started going to her for has lessoned, but I have started up a new symtoms of something else, I am not sure if it has to do where she put the needles or it is just in fact something new related to another year of peri menopause.  I too was told it is normal, your body has to heal and when we feel weird sensations or even pain it means that your body is healing.  I have never had needles in my breast though...yikes.....she usually sticks to my feet, knees, wrists and forehead....once she put some behind my ear.....that is when I started getting a weird symptom that has lasted well over a month.  I still plan on going to her for a while longer as I do feel very relaxed after my treatment and I deal with stress and anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.