Menopause and bleeding after having surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I had my ovaries and tubes removed in November. So straight into surgical menopause. I started on hrt patch for first month. Then just as changed to tablet form I had a light bleed. Now after taking tablet for 3 weeks I've started to bleed again.

I thought I wouldn't bleed again ever.

Can anyone explain please why. Am I being stupid.

I'm also constantly exhausted but blood results I've recently had all came back normal.

Could the hrt not be agreeing with me.

I'm 45

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ok, first you are not being stupid.  But look at it this way.  We have periods because our ovaries produce both estrogen and progesterone.  The estrogen in the first half of our cycle creates a thickened lining for the uterus.  Then in the second half, the progesterone fluffs it up and causes it to shed.  This is the normal pattern.

So you had ovaries removed.  But your uterus is still there, absorbing and using the estrogen you are getting through hrt to create a lining in your uterus.  Obviously you are not furtile, and can never get pregnant.  But the estrogen is  causing the bleeding you are having.  And trust me, your GYN would want to know about this.  It is very uncommon that anyone would put a woman with a uterus on just estrogen, as studies have shown that estrogen alone will stimulate the lining and increase uterine cancer.  This risk goes completely away when you add adequate progesterone to the mix.  There are many forms and lots of ways to take prgesterone.  Orally, vaginally, creams, coil, etc. etc. etc.  And there is a differnece between CONTINUOUS vs CYCLICAL THERAPY.  Continuous = taking progesterone every day, no periods as the lining will be supressed.  Cyclical is for 14 days per month and then when you come off the progesterone you will have a bleed. 

So contact your doctor and let him/her know what's happening. I'm assuming you are feeling good on the estrogen?  So this can be handled by adding progesterone to protect your uterus.     

• Posted

Also want to add that at age 45, you probably weren't in natural menopause, and these hormones would be a good thing for your over all body till you get closer to normal menopause age (52-53).  

There are plenty of menopause symptoms you would avoid by having hormones.  

• Posted

Thank you

I am on a combined hrt tablet to take every day with no breaks.

• Posted

Dear lianne

I had my ovaries out two years this July and have uterus left, I remember bleeding for abit after but I didn't go on hrt or anything as I was 51 and family history and all that. It is worth getting it checked and like the other lady said about balancing the progesterone with oestrogen. If you ever want to compare notes with me about having just ovaries out I would be pleased to oblige, take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.