Menopause and HRT

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am comforted to have found this site as I am going through peri/menopause and having it mentally and physically tough for the better part of this year. A recent blood test showed that my hormones are very depleted and so I have started HRT as of 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting to feel some difference...For those of you who are taking HRT how long did it take before you started to feel better? 

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rosie like you exactly .did u have bad sweats and feeling anxiety and depression as I did? If so this is what prompted me to see my GP as I had missed a few periods too and was also very moody each month. I started combined hrt pills 10 days ago but also take an anti depressant. I am starting to feel better slightly but now worried about risks and side effects but trying to put to back of mind. We don't want any negative remarks do we.

• Posted

Hi Debi, yes I sweated a lot at night and have been in an extremely depressed mental state. Have had a complete loss of "self" and been in a hopeless, joyless tunnel of gloom...just awful, very hard to get out of bed and cope with even simple situations. I wouldnt mind if it was just the night sweats. I have no idea where I am with my periods either because I have had an iud for 2 years to controll what were awful periods. It was so nice for the first while and to have no periods but I suppose my hormones were dropping all the while and I began to feel worse and worse (mentally). I changed anti-depressants twice to no avail. I eventually blamed it on my iud after reading other online discussions and had it out. As I told my doc I was constantly tired and very depressed he ordered a blood test to cover those bases and so here I am. He also put me on a very powerful vit D supplement and calcium. So its a lot of pill popping that goes on but I will do whatever it takes to feel better and find my happier self again. So yes like you I am hoping that it works without any horrible side affects. Before I had this crash I was also moody hence the first change of anti-depressent..its a tiring process hey and I do try and take some comfort from fellow sufferers who say hang in there you will come out the other end. I do hope you can leave the awful symptoms behind sooner than later with your current treatment.

• Posted

Hi Rosie, I was on HRT and it took 2weeks for it to work but unfortunately I stop it because I was worried being on it....I'm still going through peri myself and trying to cope with it daily not nice I think I could be nearing menopause my doctor give me hormone test but said it was high don't know what that means, anyway good luck with your HRT.

• Posted

Thank you so much Maria for your reply, I really do hope the symptoms improve for you.
  • Posted

Hey there , I was going true hell about for a year had really bad nausea headache , waight gein , depression to do point I have to take 1 month of work went to GP who give me Prosac and primique 003 mg low dose of HRT and take a month to kick in x thank god I feel normal again no hot flashes or nausea which kill me x I also take magnesium for mood sweengs B6 is well x hope you feel better soon honey xxxxx Zoe 
    • Posted

Hi i just wondered what magnesium you take and wht dose. I'm feeling quite low tearful and woder wud the magnesium help with that also mood swings xx

• Posted

Hi Tinaarena, I dont take magnesium on a regular basis. I am trying an anti-depressent for low mood. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hi Rosie, I went through more or less the same as you and I have been on the patches for 5 weeks best descision I've made I feel so much more like myself. I feel like I've wasted a year of my life trying to decide what to do. I'm sure it proberly isn't for everyone one but it seems to be working for me. Ps I'm on a low dose and everyone is different, my doctor said she would go on it if necessary.

• Posted

Hi stephanie did u find u gained any weight on patches? I know it's early days reason am asking is that I too hv bn given estradiol combi but hv bn reluctant hto take them among other reasons I don't want to gain any more weight am constantly hungry and feeling so low.. My mood swings hv got worse and my sleep pattern nor gr8 so always tired. Iv tried the all the vits but don't seem to be working any more. I hvnt had a period in 11 months xx

• Posted

Thank you Setpanie, I too feel like so I am wasting so much time! Thank you for sharing and giving hope. 
    • Posted

btw Rosie, after reading other posts on here, for the first 3 or 4 months, i gained about 4-6pounds in weight, but this settle down & dropped off naturally after the first 3-4mths. also i am on the lowest dose of my hrt - i pump of the oestrogel nightly & that is enough to eliminate my peri symptoms except for the the night sweats, although they are less frequent now. x

• Posted

Thank you Looloo for so much helpful info. My hrt is in the form of a tablet called Tibolone... so between that and an anti-depressant I am hoping to find my old self again. Will have to wait and see what gives over the next months, I guess we are all in for the long game with Menopause!
    • Posted

You're welcome Rosie, & sincere good luck to you with your hrt hun. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.