Menopause and HRT - Looking for advice for my wife

Posted , 10 users are following.

My wife is 54 years old and started menopause roughly in the last 10 - 12 months. She has the many of the usual symptoms of irritability, lack of interest in sex (its too painful) but her most pronounced issue is her hot flashes. She literally has 20 - 30 hot flashes a day and the worst come at night. She has to change her pajamas at least once a night and usually leaves our bed to go to the couch because her side of the bed is too wet to sleep in.

I have begged her to consider hormone replacement therapy and to at least speak with her doctor so she can be informed of any options to give her some relief. She has no interest. She is convinced that taking hormones will give her breast cancer. From the research I have done on WebMD and the Mayo clinic website, there are safe options and that much of the concern about hormones causing breast cancer is misinformation based on synthetic hormones. Am I correct about this? Looking for a friend!@

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

we all have different symptoms of menopause.

she is suffering a lot, if she sees her doctor and asks about HRT patches. they are less likely to cause cancer, I put them on my bum, away from the breasts.

She does need to go and advice.

I hope she gets better soon .

Mandy

• Posted

i know just how your wife feels. I use to have 30/40 hot flashes day and night. Still get them but not so many. I use sage tablets they might help her. HRT will help but as soon as she stop taking HRT the hot flashes will return.

• Posted

Hi RH2020, First...I feel your pain & hers too....its awful watching your loved one suffer & I am going through this now(only I took Estrogen HRT for over 10yrs) my symptoms are lighter....There are many options for HRT, there are topical ointments, patches, pills(estrogen-synthetic or bio-identicals) also there are homeopathics and other meds for side effects....peri & menopause cause things to dry out, she can use personal lubricant for daily dryness & other lubricants for sex, a good moisturizer will help with wrinkles, and she should do Kegel exercises, it keeps strength of pelvic muscles(that weaken during menopause)....she needs to give her Dr a family history and they can give her the TRUE risks of using HRT(it can actually decrease certain types of breast cancer but, increase chances for certain other female cancers & blood clots) using topicals can reduce those risks. So she needs to see her Dr. if she has pain during sex, not from dryness, this she NEEDS to tell her Dr...multiple reasons for that....For hot flashes.... I had to start wearing lots of light layers of clothes, use silky/cool sheets, I sleep in a tank top or light sleeveless summer nightie, cool packs on your neck, chest, belly, use a fan aimed at your core area, cool room, cool bath/shower before bed, I keep my feet out of the blankets uncovered, no socks, gel pillow, have a spare bed already made up, so you can just move at night & get back to sleep quickly, drinking ice water...sounds funny but, if they get really bad, keep a night shirt in fridge/freezer in a bag....this part hubbys dont like but, another person or pet gives off heat, have your OWN light layered blankets and keep from leaning on your mate/pet, if your hair is past shoulders, try keeping it off your neck or get a cute new do!!...I have no doubt you will get some amazing advice on here, so keep reading...good luck to you & your wife!!!Best Wishes๐Ÿ’’โ™พ๐Ÿ’žโ˜ฎ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿ€

• Edited

Hi, I went on to HRT after a couple of years of bad headaches, hot flashes etc. and the HRT relieved all my symptoms. I was only early 40s and I am now 72. Each time I tried to go off the HRT the symptoms returned and I went back on it, so all in all I have probably had 25 years on HRT with no cancer/heart disease. I was taking two tablets, estrogen and progesterone. I remember joking with my doctor once that suicide was a side effect of menopause so please give me the pills!! I feel for your wife and for you too.

• Posted

She needs HRT. End of story. Give her time. She will get to the point where she has had enough of living this way.

• Posted

RH , your wife should look into Bio identical HRT treatment .. a good alternative is pellet treatment - my wife has been on pellet with testosterone treatment for several years and it has been a life saver for her.. Your wife at 56 has a lot years ahead of her to enjoy life so continue to encourage her to seek help through some form of Bio identical HRT . Good Luck

• Posted

Thank you for advocating on your wife's behalf you are a saint. I just started HRT and am hopeful that this will help. My Ex Husband has been fantastic in his support of me going through this. I really hope there are more husbands like you reaching out.best of luck to you both

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.