menopause and hrt with antidepressants

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi please help I am menopause and on everol 100 I am still feeling depressed after 2 month of starting then can anyone suggest the best antidepresants as I may need them

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Beverly,  There are a lot of good ones out there, but there are also a lot of them to be careful of too.  I also am on both, and thank heaven's for them!  I was 33 when I had to have a complete hyst, so I have been on hrt from a pretty early age, did well on them for many years...I am 61 now.  But about 3 years ago, "for some reason" I went through a very low period, health issues, RA, Sjogrens, back surgery, more back issues, and so on.  I was not able to do anything anymore, I was very active, did water aerobics at least 3 days a week, walked the other days, I was active with friends, my weight was good, and all that went out the window.  I had...and still do, walk with a cane, it's all I can do to go th the grocery store anymore, and to the doctor.  I was so deperessed, I couldn't do anything I once enjoyed, and I had gained weight, due to the lack of movement, not to eating.  I hardly eat, and still can't get much of the weight off.  My doctor put me on Citalopram, and I started feeling much better.  Still could do much of anything, but my attitude was so  much better, and I accepted my situation...I was alive and breathing, and that is better than most!  Until my GP decided I should no longer be on my hrt...so I gave it a try in January of this year...well, what hell that was!  It all started over again, I had never really gone through the complete meno because when I had my hyst, I was immediately put on HRT, I was so happy to be out of pain, I felt wonderful all those years!  Well, it all hit at once, and I had no idea what I was in for, then I found this forum, and was shocked there were others out there with the same things going on!  No one ever told me about this!!  Anyway, I went back on the hrt I guess about 3 weeks now, thanks to one of the ladies here, and ohhhh I feel so much better!  I am starting to feel like myself once again!!  I won't be going off those again!!  I have found there are some ladies that are in there 80's that will not go off of them!!  I can see why!! 

I wonder why our great-grandmas, grandmas, aunties, mothers never told us about this????  All I remember seeing is all of them dabbing their faces madly, and pulling at their blouses and dresses and having red faces, and laughing...well I am always hot...or was, now I am always going cold, and my feet are always frozen!  LOL  Some of that now is due to other health issues.  Our bodies are very strange for sure!!  I have a bone to pick with the BIG Man upstairs one day!  LOL  I fine He has a very strange sense of humor! 

I would give your doctor a call, and discuss it with your doctor, ask them about Citalopram, but like I said, there are several others that are very good too.  Here on the same site, there is a forum on Citalopram, I am on that one as well, lots of good info there too about it, as well as other meds that they have been on, or are thinking of switching over to.  You can just type it in the box to the right and check it out...I wish you good luck!  You are never alone here, we are all here for you no matter which forum you go to!!

• Posted

Hi Beverly before resorting to anti dep I would try a diff hrt. I have just also been given citalopram but did not need it at all when on the right hrt. Sadly the two that made me feel awesome also made me bleed so trying a third which has helped most symptoms but not mood. So back to the dr for me.

Good luck this a terrible time for women with the short straw meno wisesad

Loui x

• Posted

Sorry you are feeling that way. But why is it doctors are so hell bent on antidepressives? Mine offered them to me. I told him if he was suffering physiclly like we do HE would be depressed!

I really think good nutrition is the answer. Before you reach for the pills, try a change in diet. I did and, apart from some joint pain I feel great - and I have lost weight!

• Posted

Hi i just wondered what diet your following. Does you still feel hungry

• Posted

I am not on A diet, I have just changed the way I eat. No added sugar or highly processed foods (no take-aways) and much less in the way of bread and pastries.

I eat a diet with small servings of grass-fed meat and wild, not farmed, fish. I started making my own museli with spelt flakes and an assortment of seeds and nuts with some organic dried fruit for sweetness and some true cinnamon (not the baking sort) I avoid low-fat food in favour of full-fat organic (if I can get it) cheese, milk and yoghurt with probiotics.

I take Magnesium, B complex and Vit D, and have just started to take Vit K2 as research is showing it helps put calcium in your bones, where it belongs and not in your arteries where the inflamation it causes makes your body lay down cholesterol. Cholesterol isn't the Bogieman that we are led to believe. It is there to ease inflamation and is vital for brain function. Reduce the inflamation and you reduce the need for excess cholesterol. Your body will maintain that status quo if you give it the right fuel.

Since I have been eating this way - about 5 months, I have gone from 13ST to 11ST 10LB with little effort and no cravings. Happy Days!

Now all I have to do is get to the bottom of the joint pain I've had since the menopause started - more inflamation?

• Posted

Hi there Bobbysgirl, I agree re the nutrition, however I am still struggling with sad and depressed thoughts, despite my diet and exercise regeme being excellent. I am not overweight, and recently have noticed my appetite is decreasing quite a lot.

I know I can feel great again, because I did with Kliogest and Tiberlone, I just cant take them as they casue heavy bleeding for me. I am now taking Femoston Conti (2 months) and citalopram but not a lot better at this stage. Going to ask for a higher dose of HRT which I hope will work.So glad to read something has worked for yousmile

Loui  

• Posted

Hi I'm exactly the same and craving sugar!! I was always quite healthy! ! I find I'm having to nearly starve myself to keep at same or in and around same weight and feel tired and crap most of time just fed up!!! 😢😢😢
    • Posted

Hi there

me again! Sugar will give you a short-term boost, but a long-term crash. It will make matters worse in the long run.

• Posted

Hi i know😢😢 it's Monday am and as per, every week I start off with good intentions!! Lol.. um just eating my porridge with no Sugar and flaxseed with my fennel tea! Xx
    • Posted

I had porridge with a tsp of raw honey, cinnamon and flax seeds Yummy!
  • Posted

Hi Beverley. i have been on escitalopram for a few years at 15mg day as i have suffered with anxiety & depression on/off since my 20's (i am 45 now). I recently started peri menopause & although my depression/anxiety has been well controlled with the escitalopram, i started to experience erratic mood changes literally that could change from one end of the day to the other. this didnt feel like depression bouts i had had in the past as it was so on/off within hours or days & not constant. i also started to experience anxiety/panic/angryness on/off too but not constant. initially i increased my escitalopram to 20mg day to try & immediately control this as it was affecting my worklife. the increase didnt really help, just sedated me a bit & made my brain fog(with peri) worse. my gp started me on hrt: estrogen gel every day, then progesterone capsule days 15-26 of cycle. within 2-3wks my mood was MUCH more stable, my anxiety attacks MUCH better, so i came back down to 15mg escitalopram (my maintenance dose). i have now been on hrt since 1/4/16, & it really has made a difference to the mood & anxiety symptoms of peri, so like the other ladies have said, definately worth talking to your doc about a different hrt regimen. as the depression/anxiety that comes with peri is different to general clinical depression/ anxiety ie erratic & not constant, sometimes anti depressants don't really help for peri related depression/anxiety as it's hormone related. however i have also read a lot of ladies have found fluroxetine beneficial as it kind of "softens" the symptoms. everyone is different, but i really found hrt a big help (so far). hope this helps xxx
    • Posted

Hi huni. Thank you for reply.I have suffered on off depression since teens like yourself and found no real meds that work been on all kinds but only took edge of it. When started meno gp took me off antidepressants and put me on hrt I only get estrogen as I have murine coil in for 2 years.my moods seen to be getting worse and feel my gp is no good as she asks me what pills I want to go on.which I don't know as I'm not a doc .I am pulling my hair out .I got married in Nov and asked my husband to leave last week as all my feelings have gone for him could not bare being in same room as him I am a happier person without him but my mood is getting lower and lower
    • Posted

Hi Beverley. I am so sorry to hear about the breakdown of your marriage adding to your problems. Do you think this is down to how you are feeling, or just genuinely happier without him? (you don't have to answer this!! I only ask as it is such a shame if it's down to how you are feeling which could be improved with meds/different hrt..) I cannot believe your doc took you OFF antidepressants when you have suffered with depression on & off through your lifetime, right at the time you are starting/in menopause!!!!! if you need antidepressants without menopause, taking you off them at that pinacle time is just ludicrous!!! if the ones you were on were controlling your depression, personally i would ask to go back on them particularly as your mood in general has got worse since coming off them. everyone is different, & i have tried several different ones in my time, but i have been on escitalopram 15mg for a few years now with good control of "clinical" depression/anxiety. whenever you start antidepressants as you probably know you often feel worse for 3-6wks before they started to improve your wellbeing, & it is best to start low & increase dose gradually 1st couple of weeks to lessen any side effects. xxx
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I have been on many antidepressant over the years and none has made me feel better I think that maybe why doc took me off them before starting hrt I think being on hrt is making it worse I quit beleive if I was feeling happier in a way I would be able to cope with being on my own.I have 14 yr old daughter and she saw how unhappy I was with my husband .and thinks I am happier now but as soon as she leaves room or goes to bed I just cry.I feel like I have no where to turn I have my next appotment with menopause nurse in 1 month and I can't get earlier appointment as fully booked.and if I go to my gp and ask for antidepresants she always ask what ones I want as I think she not sure because I have tried diffrent ones.I feel I have to stay in this bubble forver
    • Posted

Hi Beverly

Hang on in there. I am just starting hrt and although I still feel like rubbish, I am sure something is changing just a tiny little bit.

I am also struggling big time with depression, anxiety, days where crying is constant. Body tremors. Sleeplessness. We have to trust it is a process and will get better. Some days it's hard to believe I know.

I am also on ads because initially noone even considered perimenopause even though I'm 51 and thanks to it being a taboo topic I had no idea of the devastation it can cause. All my senses and emotions seem to be on red alert, all at once.

Hopefully your GP will listen but if they don't keep knocking on their door. And keep posting, vent, let us know how you're doing. Xx

• Posted

Yes Beverley keep talking to us on here & let us know how you are doing. your gp sounds useless - they should know through experience which ones might make a difference to you. personally i get on well with the escitalopram but i do remember feeling worse initially for a few weeks, so listening to you on here, they may not be best for you. you could ask to try a low dose of fluroxetine if you haven't had them before as they seem to help many ladies on here, i haven't personally tried them. fluroxetine is also used to help patients coming off of other prescription meds too. keep your appointment with the menopause nurse & write things down you want to ask as well as ALL your symptoms as you think of them so you get the most out of seeing her. take care, be kind to yourself & try keep your chin up. xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.