Menopause and hypothyrodism

Posted , 4 users are following.

I would like to know if there is a relation between a high FSH count and hypothyrodism.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think you mean TSH. There is a connection yes and your doctor will advise you what to do depending on how high.
    • Posted

Thanks Gillian.  The test is Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH). Apparently the test determines if you are in the menopausal phase. 

I don't have any menopausal symptoms and therefore was wondering if there is a connection and therefore the level is raised within the phase of menopause.

• Posted

The menstrual cycle depends on adequate T4 to proceed normally. Women with a lack of T4 may not be able to conceive. Low T4 can lead to increased menstrual flow and that in turn may cause you to become anemic. Get too much of the T4 and it causes missed periods. I would simply get  a diagnosis on your thyroid first, and dependng on your symtoms go from there. If your FSH ( elevated follicle-stimulating hormone ) blood level is consistently elevated to 30 mIU/mL or higher, and you have  not had a menstrual period for a year, it is generally accepted that you have reached menopause. Check with your doctor on all of this.

• Posted

Sorry about the emoticon. My computer did an insert on me.
  • Posted

Hello Rabiah

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I also have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

FSH is the follical stimulating hormone and it helps ripen an egg for fertilization.  When you are in Menopause levels can go lower but the medications like LEVO can still make an egg ripen up.  If the medication would stop, so does the FSH and then you would not see a period.

It can take longer to really menopause because of the FSH being effected by the thyroid hormone meds.  I am 55 and my sister is 59 and we both have thyroid disease and believe it or not it can delay full menopause, as we still tend to get our periods maybe not as often.  Also a good idea to check estrogen levels and see how that is going. 

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for this very comforting information.

I'm pleased to know thyroid medication does have an effect on menopause.  I suspected it since I'm also 55 and have no symptoms of menopause.  I also have older sisters who constantly complain about hot flashes - especially.  

This really is a bright side to thyroid malfunction!!!

I think I'm more comfortable with thyroid med than hormone replacement therapy. In your profession, I'm sure you more informed of the cancer risk...

I will check my estrogen levels.  Thanks for the advice.

Take care. 

Rabiah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.