Menopause and insomnia

Posted , 13 users are following.

Went back to see my Dr last Sept....she is utterly useless....first of all when I suggested going down the HRT route to her a few months before as I was having such problems with joint pain/insomnia/over active bladder....she put me on Evorel conti something I shouldn't have been on as I was still having periods....anyway I had to stop them because of palpitations etc......next she prescribed Premique....again wrong medication as no break for me to have my period......I took them as prescribed and they did nothing for my symptoms other than stopping my periods all together........I should perhaps mention at this point that I don't have hot flushes,night sweats or mood swings as I take a high dose Red Clover tablet every day which works for me......When she gave me the Premique she told me to stop the Red Clover as the HRT would take care of everything......wrong....one week after stopping red clover the flushes night sweats started again........anyway eventually as the whole purpose for me taking HRT was to get back into a normal sleeping pattern....when that didn't work I went back to see her and ask to swap to Utrogestan ......she decided that she would take me off HRT completely as according to her there is no clinical evidence that HRT works for insomnia or joint pain..Wrong there is tons of information out there backing up my theory that my problems are hormone related......I have been without anything since then despite 2 further visits re my insomnia she refuses to do anything about it.......I'm at my wits end now surviving on anything from 9 hours to 16 hours sleep per WEEK.......I'm constantly up and down all night because as I'm awake I'm more aware of my bladder urgency....also my RLS has returned...something I've not had for years but I'm sure its linked in some way......I'm going to try one more time to get her to see that I need help and it is hormone based as OTC meds have done nothing to help....I'm convinced that if I find the right HRT for me then most of my problems will go away........any suggestions please as to what I should ask for

If she refuses to help this time then I'm changing my surgery as I simply cannot go on like this....I almost had a car accident last week due to the fact that I was so exhausted

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i have had menopause for five years, i find to combat bladder problems especially through the night i do not have a drink such as tea, night cap whatever after 7 pm, i find this helps and make sure i go to the toilet before i retire, and when i go out i reduce the amount i drink, i have had no help from the doctor and have had to go through the menopause on my own, i recognise my symptoms and have had to deal with them, you have to be half dead for my doctor to help you, they do not believe in just dishing out tablets as my mother died from liver failure because of long term tablet use prescribed by her doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara

sorry to hear about your Mum.. 

i too had sensitive bladder during peri and half way through peri is was very sensitive, constant urge, but yet no urgency... 

its all passed now though... i have to drink plenty i even take iced water to bed, with the heat here and my body needs fluid... 

i always visit the bathroom once in the night, not bothered by that ...

i am happy how my 9-10 years of peri has gone, not been perfect or easy, but i am menopause now and feel at ease and quite liberated, acceptance & positivity is the key... i am just age 50 .. so lots to enjoy ..

jay xx 

• Posted

I've been fighting insomnia for for years now. I have tried ambien, ativan, 5htp, melatonin,  and various vitamins. I believe I've finally found that my internal clock is turned around. So, Monday I stayed up till 530 am & then took a 1 hour nap. On Tuesday night I took 3- 3 mg of melatonin,  2 enhanced sleep pills from GNC & 1 ativan. I actually slept for four hours. Went back to bed and slept for another two. I am setting my alarm for six am to force myself out of bed even thought I could sleep longer. My internal clock is now being reset. Hope this helps. I also fasted for 15 hours. Stopped eating Monday at 3 pm and on Tuesday I ate breakfast at 8 am
  • Posted

hi tango bunny just found this post of yours. How are you finding this now as this is my main issue as well?
    • Posted

I just started this three days ago. But slept for four.5 hours. Then my dog wanted to go out. Went back to bed but it took me another hour to fall back asleep. I think I was anxious about possibly not being able to fall back asleep. Then slept for another three hours before my alarm went off
  • Posted

Try and change doctors. I went to see mine because I was hot all the time. Not really hot flushes but just generally hot.

She put me on an estrogen gel and utrogestan. Within a two weeks my awful insomnia which I have suffered with for almost 10 years now (so all through the peri) has suddenly gone. Sleeping like a baby again. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi. You are first person I've found alike myself I'm having severe insomnia perimenopause I've read about low progesterone or high oestrogen at peri and have a prescription for hrt asked for it but want to try the more natural creams with drs support asI know this can be complicated. Had melatonin prescribed worked for 8 days not working now. ? Are you finding anything now that's helping ? Jane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.