Menopause and ME/CFS

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I'm post menopausal (4 years now) and the hormonal change has unfortunately caused relapses with the ME/CFS during that time. I'm currently going through the 4th relapse now. They last quite a while and I'm bedridden for around 5 months at a time and it's driving me nuts!

I'm trying the HRT again Oestrogel and Utrogestan, a lower dose of the latter spread over a 25 day period per month, as I've struggled with this side of the therapy before.

Are there any other ladies out there with ME/CFS who are going through the same thing? I have had blips before but nothing like this since the change.........

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Polly, Its funny you bring this up today,, I Think i am currantly going from peri to menopause and my CFS AND HASHIMOTOS just showed up again, I have not had a flare for sometime, Im having sever fatigue and memory, consentration problem etc.. I have relapsed many times, My first bout was 15 years ago when the doctors did not diagnose my Hashi's, was sick in bed for about 3 YEARS! Now when i relapse it usually lasts about a month,, I do multiple natural treatments for candida and ongoing things that go along with CFS, im worried that this bout will last longer because i can feel the transition to meno.. is coming the symptoms are changing...I also do bio hormones and i find they help but is so complex,, i add them and take them away as needed, i find that works the best for me, they are in the form of a troche... right now i'm really unsure if i will be able to do my job and I'm scared as I own my own furniture store and interior designers talk to people all day....

• Posted

yes these things pop up when hormones drop im one year in with EBV at 52

• Posted

Bless your little heart girlie,,, THIS ONE IS A TOUGH ONE TO DEAL WITH!!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Beverly. The combination of everything makes the menopause symptoms worse. I'm basically bedridden again. What type of HRT is a troche?

• Posted

HI, most people get them in pellet form injected into the hip,, but that was to permanent for me with my autoimmune and CFS I also had epstein barr like Lori and there are so many symptoms with this alone as you know, the troche goes under your tongue in the am and it can be stopped by you if you feel the symptoms get better or worse,, as women like us are usually very good at reading our bodies, MAYBE TO GOOD!!Igot the perscription from my natural path MD,, I Have noticed alot of women have gotten it so i dont think it is as hard to find someone anymore... IT is considered bio-identical... They have worked for me,, Taken them off and on for 5 years usually at 6 month intervals, you also take a progestrone capsule at night at bed with tends to calm me down...Let me know if that was enough to help sweetie???

• Posted

Thank you for all the info Beverly. I'm really struggling at the moment. The symptoms are quite bad. I too had mono which is why i went on to develop ME/CFS when I was around 30. I've heard it can reactivate at menopause. The symptoms aernt the same as when i got mono at 20 though. Anyway, thanks for all the info x x

• Posted

By the way, what is the name of the progesterone you take? x x

• Posted

alot of us on the forum are having such a hard time because of having EBV/MONO I really am pretty sure it makes our meno/life during this transition much worse... I to also got Hashimotos when i got mono...😞but we have to deal with the hand we were dealt,,, at least we have all these lovely ladies to help us out sometimes!!! The progestrone in capsule form it is mixed in a compounding pharmacy, which there are more and more around now, It is 100mg/just straight progesterone, the trouche is in alittle square and you can cut in half and take half if you feel you are getting to much by your symptoms you are currently having, its not really so much a one size fits all like tradition HRT..But essentially the same thing.. the troche I take is 2.5 estro...

• Posted

hey Polly,, forgot to ask I posted yesterday but they have changed somethings and i can't see it....If you do give me a shout out, trying to get use to the new stuff on the forum,, Also i got mono when i was 37 from my school aged daughter ugh!!! HAD IT BAD! Im now 53 have been in peri about 5 YRS...

• Posted

Thanks so much for all the info. Yes, I did see what you posted yesterday and thank you. Did you get theHRT from a GP?

• Posted

I have a GP and also a natural path but he is also an MD...I have had him since i got mono,, so i still see him for natural therapies, vitamin drips etc he helps me alot to stay healthy with the autoimmune stuff, he prescribed the HRT it might be more difficult to find bio-identical through just any GP, they may not have the knowledge... You may need to ask around.. Some gyno's will prescribe it or a good natural path maybe a GP...... maybe ask! my girlfriend here just got on them and im not sure who gave them to her, she got the pellet form...

• Posted

yes pellet seems the way to go as long as it doesnt make you gain weight

• Posted

no i was on 5mg patch estrogen and 50 mg progesterone ..

• Posted

has it put weight on you ? i gained about 40 lbs on the patch and progesterone 50mg

• Posted

alittle bit lori,,, but sometimes i feel like my estrogen is just to high, so I stop the troche for awhile then i kinda take as needed... i think maybe the hormones are winding down alittle but we will see i'm supposed to start again in a couple days, just wish the peri would stop to see if meno will maybe be better then this....xx

• Posted

Hi Lori,

just to say thanks for trying to post something but it got deleted for some reason....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.