MENOPAUSE AND PAINFUL INTERCOURSE

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have recently been to see a gynaecologist privately regards constant burning, dryness and soreness around my vulva/vagina. and painful intercourse. She prescribed Vagifem, Yes VM, low dose Amitriptyline which were prescribed by my GP and have really helped.

She also prescribed 4% Aqueous lidocaine to be used prior to sexual intercourse to ease the pain but my GP was unsure how to prescribe this so sent a query to the surgery pharmacist who two weeks later prescribed Vagisil 2% medicated cream which I dont think is the correct thing.

Has anyone used 4% Aqueous lidocaine to ease the pain of sexual intercourse and if so how was it prescribed? and how to you use it.

Thanks for your help and advice.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynn seems like you have had lots of advice - which is a good thing.

I have just been prescribed Vagifem only. I trie dothe rover the counter lubricantes and gels but have yet to find anything at all that helped me.

Ive had this problem for around 2 years now and we'd given up even trying to have sex as it was just too painful for me - and a definite passion killer! I can't really describe the exact pain other than itwastruly awul and I had to grit my teeth just to stop me from crying from the pain - so not good really.

I also don't feel particulary attractive now in perimenopause anyway so that coupled with the terrible pain just makes me want ot give up that part of life really. I do keep trying though for my husband bless him. I have found that healthy eating, yoga and meditation have given me back some self confidence but other than that I just try and get on with it.

The Vagifem have helped me though and its around 80% better than it was but its not something I particular enjoy as it still hurts really. Its very sad and it does get me down at times.

I hope you are able to find that these work for you hun.

Take care x

• Posted

I understand everything you are saying. If you dont mind me asking how often are you using the Vagifem?

If you havent already tried Yes VM its worth a try, if you email or phone Yes they will send you samples of their different products to try to save you buying another product that doesnt help. My GP now prescribes Yes VM on prescription in single use tubes which is much quicker and easier to use than the large tube version which doesnt come with an applicator.

Take care and keep in touch.

• Posted

hi lynn i had to use 1 tablet every night for 2 weeks then 1 tablet twice a week thereafter. it has helped but wish i had some sort of sex drive too! i just dont feel it now.my husband is fab and so patient. im on hrt so night sweat and everything are much improved but no drive to do anything. ill try and find VM and give that a go.

thanks so much and hope you are all ok now? xx

• Posted

Hi. i have been having the same trouble and its miserable isnt it .I went to my Gp she prescribed. hormone pesseries they have to be inserted one a night for 14 nights then twice a week for 5 weeks .They have helped so much thank goodness i still use a bit of the vagisan as well .Worth a try .Hope it helps .

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, pleased the pessaries have helped, were they Vagifem.? I havent heard of Vagisan but will ask at the chemist.

Take care.

• Posted

Estradiol pesseries. 10mg Vagifem . from the Dr and vagisan cream which i got on Amazon .I have been suffering for months with UTI s so they thought this would help .So far so good worth a try definitely .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.