Menopause and paresthesia?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I would love some input on my strange symptoms. 

I'm 50 years old. For many years, my periods have been very close together, very long, and with 2-3 days of exceptionally heavy flow. I know this weird period stuff is normal in peri menopause. Then, after one of these "normal" (for me!) periods in April, I didn't have one for 60 days - and when I did it again, for the first time in years I didn't have the heavy days. That was over 60 days ago and so far I haven't had another one since.

My FSH level in a blood test two weeks ago was very high - 117.

I tell you all this just as a little background - I already know I'm obvioulsy in peri menopause and nearing actual menopause. 

But here's the reason I'm posting. Starting mid-May, all of a sudden I started having very consistent paresthesia in my feet and legs - a mixture of tingling, pins and needles, slight burning, static sensation outside skin, pricking... no numbness. It has been with me every single day since then - 3 months now. It's worse at some times than others, but always present to some degree (and usually very annoying and concerning). It is definitely in BOTH legs and feet. 

I'm slightly low in B12 and hoped that was the cause - however, after 10 B12 shots over 5 weeks, I have no improvement. I've had various other blood tests, all normal. I had an MRI of my spine (all 3 sections) yesterday and it showed nothing. No MS lesions, no transverse myelitis lesions, no compression/stenosis, no disc problems, no tumors. Now I need to get a brain MRI and of course I'm concerned this one could show MS. However, doctors have told me - and my research confirms this - it would be most unusal for MS to present with paresthesia equally on BOTH sides, stay around consistently for so long without going away even briefly, etc... And I have zero other MS sypmtoms.

So assuming (hopefully!) that's NOT what it is, then it's becoming a real mystery. I've done some reading that suggests these weird tingling sensations CAN be caused by menopause - due to extreme hormone imbalance. Also, my hormones could have been out of whack for a long time what with all my irregular periods, AND about 12 years ago I had my hormone levels checked and supposedly at that time I had the estrogen level of "a post-menopausal woman." At the time my doc said that was a little odd, but ok, no cause for concern. Anyway, I say all this as a way to say perhaps I've been a little bit of a unique case as far as my hormones.

Does anyone think these symptoms COULD actually be attributed to menopause? Or has anyone had something similar happen to them? I've asked my doctor a couple times and she immediately says no, menopause couldn't cause this. I realize it's not typical, but is it possible? So far I have no hot flashes or night sweats, thank heavens, but maybe this is my own personal type of menopause hell?! 

Any insight would be so very much appreciated. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but it DOES seem an interesting coincidence that all these issues have come up right as I'm going through this different timing in my periods, obvious continued hormone changes, etc... 

Thanks in advance for any help people might be able to offer.

I think I'm going insane. If this could be blamed on menopause, I would be SO relieved and could deal with it!!!

12 likes, 501 replies

501 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Molly

I'm no expert but I am sure it is. Someone I know who is menopausal is having the symptoms you are talking about. It just seems coincidental.

• Posted

Michelle, thanks so much for replying! Do you mind telling me a little more about the person you know - you say she's having the same symptoms. Do you mean specifically she's having consistent "tingling" (and other sensations in her legs/feet? It's encouraging to think there might be someone else out there with this same condition, caused by menopause!!

• Edited

Hi Molly. I am very close to meno so my levels say and yes I have those symptoms and more. My body gets numb off and on but my left hand has had persistent numbness sometimes better sometimes worse but pretty much hasn't went away. You are not alone!

• Posted

Wow, I must admit it's encouraging to hear you're experiencing something similar - not that I wish these weird symptoms on you, of course! But just that someone else is actually experiencing this. So besides your additional symptoms, do you mean you have pretty much constant tingling and other sensations in your legs and feet?

• Edited

Hi Tonilynn

My body also gets spots of numbness... my legs at bottom for the past night and today has been numb just about the whole time... I hate it and then my mind goes to bad places like ..oh you must have MS and then my anxiety level shoots up and I get all hot and bothered... I don't know how to deal with it anymore...

Sending hugs to all

Tams

• Posted

sorry you are feeling like this but its so nice to know i'm not alone with my crazy thoughts i am just the same as you keep strong the menopause is hell

• Edited

Hi Molly,

I have had the same tingling, numbness and prickly feeling all over. There are months when I bleed very heavy for 2 weeks and other months where it is very light for a few days. I've had every strange symptom under the sun and all of my blood work is normal . No one ever told me that menopause would be so bad. I am on Prozac and bio identical hormones which both help a lot. You are not going crazy I promise.

• Posted

Peggy, does that include having the tingling etc... in your legs, and does it pretty much stick around all the time? My doctor says my symptoms can not be blamed on peri menopause/menopause, but I'm beginning to wonder! Sounds like there are others with these same types of things going on.

• Posted

hi Peggy,

wondering if you had success with your treatment? im experiencing what MOlly wrote above and trying to see if she ever found the root cause! its frustrating, scary and a bit lonely when talking to docs about these sensations!

• Edited

I too get left hand numbness around 7-10 days before my period starts. In only happens during the night - it feels as tho I've lay on my arm. I have to dangle my arm out of bed to get the blood flowing again. As this occurrence is cyclical I just assumed it was a peri symptom. X

• Posted

Donna, that's a weird symptom, too! It sort of goes along with mine, since I get the general pins and needles feeling. I really hope this all could have hormone upheaval as its root cause!!!

• Posted

Molly hi,, i see this was two years ago.  Did this resolve for you?  i am just entering menopause and I get the numbness in arms and tingling in lower limbs  mainly left side and again doctors not relating it to menopause, this is interesting and wondering how you are doing now?
    • Posted

Yes 

Is monopause

I am sufffering for one year

I cant use any pants

My skin burning me

Itching me, and I feel like i have a enemy inside my body putting needles on my skin

I made all exams and the only thing i discover was a menopause

I started a hormonal replacemet sintetic and i did not became better

Now I doscover the real problem is the progesterone

We start to loose our progesterno around 35

And this is cause everythin

I discover a doctor in internet

John lee who is the first one who discover the solution to menopause

Progesterone natural

Try to read about this

I started with this about 2 months and i am getting better and i took off the hormonal replacement sintetic

I hope if this can help you

• Posted

Hi Marcia

Yes, I have heard about progesterone cream.  Are you in menopause or peri-menopause?  What is the name of the natural progesterone cream you are using can I ask?

thanks for replying

• Posted

Is a progesterone cream bioidentical our body! In usa you can by easily

In amazon also

Here in Brazil my doctor prescribes me and laboratory made to me. Is not a sintetic replacement.

You need to find a doctor that follow Dr John Lee.

Look for him inthe google

And read everything about this

• Posted

Hi.. I have been in Peri for about two years and in the last three months there has not been a day go by that I haven’t had pins and needles numbness and burning in arms hands legs and feet.. 

it’s driving me insane and wondering what to do about it

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, i been in peri also and have the sensation all the time mostly hands n feet.   We are trying  to all figure out if this is related to hormonal inbalance.  I’m starting to believe it is.   I think the first step is finding a doctor to evaluate the hormones and see if there is any hormone replacment therapy that is needed.  Every doctor that I have seen has not made any correlation.. they say hormones can cause it but never treated me for it.   By the way just started reading the book by dr John lee 

Someone one here has mentioned it.  

Very interesting.  Keep me posted ! 

Good

Luck 

• Posted

Hi Jannap and Rebeca

I am suffering everyday since I entered in menopause

Last year

I cannot use any pants, because my legs starts to iching me, burnnjng me and it is really like a Have a insect inside my body.

This is terrible

Nothing help me

i took too much drugs, antialergic, started hormonal replacement and getting worst day by day

I discoverde Doctor John lee

And I stopped with the hormonal

Replcement conventional

And I start use the progesterone natural

Today is completed two months since I started this kind of replacement

The doctor says to me that I need to wait 3 month at least

So I am doing it and I really hope and I really believe this is the treatment for all of us.

Without progesterone our body doesnt produce the others hormonal we need and it is the cause about our unbalance hormnonal

Try to find a doctor that can follow Dr Jonh Lee and prescribe to you the progesterone natural

Let me know!

Regards

Marcia

• Posted

Hi Rebecca I've been having tingling in arms, legs, hands, feet with some minor numbness stiffness in my finger/toe.  I am 44 going to be 45 soon.  My family doc tells me I'm too young to have the issue be from Perimenopause, but I've had all kinds of autoimmune bloodwork and checked Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, etc. (all ok) and I've had an MRI of brain and cervical spine.  I have even been to a neurologist.  The only thing they said I had was 2 bulging discs in my neck that were "not bad" and that were not compressing any nerves.  I wonder if my symptoms could be peri?  Am I too young?  may I ask how old you are?  Did your symptoms start just all of sudden?  Mine seemed to happen overnight after a pretty bad headache that I got right before my period started. I still have regular periods in a sense of recurring but they seem to be lasting longer and can be pretty heavy at times.  Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated  

• Edited

Hi Tara, I’m 42 and because I want to have another child I have been seeing a reproductive dr.   So I frequently get blood work done on my hormones.   Some months I’m I have no estrogen.  I have regular periods but I can tell  when my body is just off balance.   

I been to  2 neurologist  my primary physician and back speaclist. No one gave me an answer. Only one agree with me that these symptoms were related was reproductive dr.  The reason I believe this is the issue is because all other symptoms came with it the tingling  both feet the ache joints panic anxiety and depression 

I’m on low estrogen patch and it seems to be helping. 

We aren’t to young mensoause takes place at 50 they say 10

Years before your body started to prepare well we are in our 40’s and everyone is different. Many women go into menpause early even at 20’s n 30’s 

The reason I believe it is 

• Posted

Thanks Jane.  I have an appt with my obgyn on the 29th maybe he can run some bloodwork and shed  some light on this for me.  I was thinking the worst case scenarios imaginable and it’s causing me more anxiety than I already have! 

I also get little muscle twitches.  Is that a symptom for you? 

• Posted

Hi Tara I'm very interested in your post as this is exactly how my tingling started it was overnight and day before I had terrible headache ,do you have it it none stop mine started 11th Dec 16 I started with tingling feet within hours spread to knees then into hands fully symmetric it's been none stop for 17 months now I've had numerous bloods mri of brain and cervical spine numerous nerve studies all normal saw another neuro end of April he wasn't happy and I had a full spine mri last Fri and also an emg test and another nerve study I don't know what this is but I describe it as holding an electric toothbrush feeling none stop in all limbs

• Posted

Tara I also have muscle twitches too I do not think mine is peri menopause I was 40 when it started and conceived 3 months after it started I had my baby in Nov I had the tingling none stop throughout it got much worse 8 weeks after having her and spread from wrists to upper arms I'm looking into a mild form of guillen barre syndrome that attacks only small fibres as my Dr told me she knew someone it happened to that started with headache

• Edited

Hi Tara and Jane,

There is no rhyme or reason we go into Peri and for a Dr to state that there is no way because you are too young is a joke.. Without us realising we are starting Peri in our early thirties with different hormonal symptoms which is the fact that our hormones are becoming out of balancing and with some depleting to fast that our nervous systems go into a spin.

My experience is.. I woke Jan 25 this year with pins and needles in my feet and legs and felt like I also had the flu.. Prior to this my periods had been extremely irregular and also had been experiencing joint and muscle aches that came and went but I put it down to working out..

Anyways I was very unwell as the numbness spread coupled with headaches and lethargy and bloods showed I was b12 def.. Besides this I thought this isn’t right oh and was gettinghor flushes., I researched and researched to find so many menopausal women suffering just like us.. high or low estrogen and little to no progesterone..

One blood test is not enough to show what our hormones are doing as that is a snapshot of that day.. in fact you need one a week for 6 weeks on the same day to see what your hormones are up too.. mine showed dominance in estrogen and very low progesterone which is our good feeling hormone which is only produced when we ovulate..

I have been on Bio Identical Hormones for two months now and am feeling so much better..

Hot flushes nearly gone and pins and needles just about gone..

Find a Dr that will listen to you..

That’s what I did!!! This is all hormonal as it throws our nervous system into kaos!!! 

• Edited

Tara, I had it all !!!  muscles twitch  I still get them can be in my back  mostly and my eye  but not to often.  I experienced pins and needles daily  all day long. First it was both feet then about 6 months later the hands.  I have gotten them in my legs and thighs.  I also had bad sharp pain come and go in my thighs.  

I was so nervous that something was seriously wrong with me which also made my anxiety even worse.  

I had all blood work done I have had nerve test.  It was all negative.  My primary dr never sent me for mri because she didn’t think it was MS because of the symmetrical symptoms and my balance was just fine along with my reflexes.  

It has to be peri menopause. If I’m having a good day I can do everything Normal as can be. I can excerise. I can bike ride. I’m a busy mom. I’m always running around all day long.  

My eating habits are great I’m not fatigue  

Just all these weird symptoms that I mention along with

Mood swings happy, sad, irritable, 

Panic attacks. 

Sounds like hormonal inbalance to me ! 

• Posted

Hi Dawn

My tingling is pretty much non stop but it varies in intensity but never gets really bad.  How did your recent tests come back with the new neurologist? 

• Posted

Hi Jane

Did any of your doctors say it could be a hormonal imbalance or what you could do for it? 

• Posted

Thanks Rebecca I’m gonna talk with my obgyn to start when I go on the 29th
    • Posted

Hi again Dawn

Is a mild form of GBS your diagnosis? I was nervous I have CIDP. If it’s GBS what is the prognosis? 

• Posted

My reproductive endocrinologist. She noticed my estrogen was low and she asked me how I was feeling and I told her all my symptoms and she said it can very well be hormones causing this. 

I’m on a low estrogen patch.  Seems to help 

• Posted

Have any of your doctors tested your FSH which is Follicle Stimulating Hormone. How high that is can dictate if you have any more time to have children. It starts really low in the teen years and keep rising until you finish menopause. So by the triple digits it is over. The FSH to level is suppose to be 136 but mine was like 146 in post menopause. Every time I go off HRT I feel like my body is burning inside. 
    • Posted

Hi Tara I'm awaiting results from emg and nerve study should be here today or tommorow mri results will be within the week ,I asked my Dr about cidp they said that effects muscles gbs does too and I would be much worse than Iam , I'm still strong can walk miles feel hot and cold just none stop tingling in limbs with it going on 17 months it's worse in intensity I'm aware of it none stop it's not pain as much as a feeling if you touch car door when it's moving the vibration is the same through my limbs it's also become where I press on my upper legs I can feel it intensify in my feet ,another Dr I saw mentioned the mild gbs said she's seen a man the same he had ivig and was cured lasted about 2 years ,I've seen 4 neuros over 17 months this last one in April mentioned gbs said due to the headache before hand it could be a reaction to a systemic infection if it starts in the feet symmetric stocking glove pattern spreading upward it's likely nerve damage the small fibres can only be seen on biopsy not on nerve study look up small fibre damage all 4 neuro said immediately not ms as symmetric and overnight to have in multiple areas likely in the blood but what I don't know I've been tested for near enough everything ,I could even feel this during delivery of my daughter after 2 morphine injections like I say it's not pain as such just none stop feeling I do feel like my legs are swollen under the knees slightly not ankles I will update my mri and nerve results how do you wake up one morning and never feel your hands and legs the same again it's very worrying I'm so sick of it dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn I totally understand your frustration.  I go back to Neuro on June 12th.  I also forgot to mention that I was a vodka drinker, not an alcoholic but drank more than I should have and I had a bit too much the night before this happened so I also thought maybe that triggered mine? Also my tingling started in my upper body? I haven’t had a drop of alcohol since it happened and I am taking alpha lipoid acid 

I also forgot to mention I’m hypersensitive too.  I also had soreness in my arms and thighs when it started but now mostly just tingling in my hands and feet and sometimes arms and legs.  I wonder if all GBS cases need the IV thing to get better or if steroids would help? 

• Posted

Wow i know exactly how you feel.you and i are similar in our symptoms ive been the same for 20 months now .im awaiting to see a neuro but i went to a amazing chiro last week he sure uts nit ms he giving me 4 sessions and reassess after that.i get glove sensation in my right leg just above ankle i use to get on right arm too .also my legs feel puffy though theyre not .i dont have pain but i constant tingle burn and cold sensations.the 10 days ago i put myself on B12 nuggets 1 a day coupled with the chiro i dont want to speak too soon but ive niticed a improvement in regard to the prickly burny feelings in my legs .is it B12 or chiro i dont know we shall see.i know how you feel it is so upsetting as its non stop my happened fast like yours and symetrical .im so over it all .i was diagnised with mild shingles on right thigh which basicaly was refered to shingles without rash though i did get a few blisters then post herpetic neuralgia but dr now not sure .i do get idd blisters at random times in random places that itch then hurt and last for weeks if not months .weird
    • Posted

Guillain barre syndrome and Chronic Inflammatory Demealiating Polyneuropathy.  They are thought to be related but GBS is the acute form and CIDP is chronic.  Both affect nerves.  Google on Mayo Clinic or Web MD.  It explains better than I can.  

I thought about a chiropractor too but my doc says to “let sleeping dogs lie” because I have 2 minor bulging discs on my neck.  I have been taking a multivitamin and alpha lipoic acid to help with neuropathy and it seems to have helped 

• Posted

Tara thanks for explaining that to me.i think the chiro or b12 buggets im taking have helped not sure if both or one or other as i started them both the same week.but my burnings subsided though i still get cold pops and cold knees ..sensations.
    • Posted

Hi Tara and everyone on here! I’m hoping to alleviate some of my concerns! I’m  in menopause as my periods stopped 2 years ago. I am 47 now. I am getting done if the complaints that I’ve read about particularly  tingles in hands and numbness .... and the muscle twitches too. It is DRIVING me crazy. I honestly feel like my body is falling apart and shutting down  !!! It’s scary. I’ve had my saliva and urine tested and other blood work. I’m getting my results on Saturday.  It’s causing my anxiety to be even worse ....your posts are helping though

Thanks cate  

• Posted

Hi everyone

Im so glad I found you all on here. I have been so worried for over 2 months about the sharp prickly pins and needles on my hands, forearms. Tingling on lips and face and today it started on my legs. I am 51 and started menopause and HRT around 3 years ago. I had been trying to analyse if I had a vitamin deficiency etc. My blood test said B12 ok but low ferritin a few months back and I took iron for that. I have had a few very sharp pains in my head. Also, today I kept getting goosebumps for a few seconds when my body temperature and the weather was warm. Then I felt really emotional and almost burst into tears. I think it was then that I realised it was probably hormonal in origin. Apart from all this I feel like I am fit and well in other respects (if I can say that with all this going on)!

Anyway, thank you for telling your stories here because you have made me feel a bit more normal.

Best wishes to all.

• Posted

Hi i know its so debilitating at times and scary. A log of women suffer with it frim menopause ive had my ladt period 7 years ago still get periods of hot flushed and prickly burney sensations and tingly on lips legs forearms etc 2 years almost .i had bloods done all fine but i take b12 every few days and vit D every day and fish oil and magnesium .i started yoga .2 weeks ago a vinyasa yoga and im noticing a difference .saw neurologist yesterday had complete check he said post hepatic neuralgia from dose of shingles on right thigh and it can affect both legs arms etc cos it the zoster virus that attacks nerves..so good luck and try to chill a bit go to yoga its not so much about the spiritual side its the calmness it brings
    • Posted

Hi Shona - Wow! You are the first person that I have stumbled across where you are still experiencing symptoms 7 years out from your last period.  I am 6 years out & must say that I didn’t really experience many symptoms until about 3 years ago.  I think that’s why I was so confused as to whether it was hormone related or something more sinister.  Someone pointed out that my hormones might not have crashed until just 3 years ago, hence now why all the crazy symptoms.  I did have insomnia & flooding in peri & of course weight gain, but that was it.  It appears must woman experience these crazy symptoms in Peri.  Last October the Naturopath said my hormones were low, but balanced....not sure what that really means.  All I can say is I feel like I have paid my dues, 3 years of totally feeling like this is enough....praying for it to end 🙏

• Posted

Debra i so know what you saying ..i spoke to my older cousin yesterday she said its over ten years for her and she still gets tingling hands and feet which i dont get ..each of us is different ah.Where are you im in Nz
    • Edited

Hi Shona - Oh boy! Not sure I can handle 10 years of this craziness - I might be ready for the funny farm by then OR my family will institutionalize me - Hah! I am in Santa Barbara, California - oddly enough, my hand tingling has lessened a bit, now I just get the burning back, chest, neck & sometimes calves & upper feet.  I just am plagued with digestion issues, a bit of shortness of breath, cigarette smell & feeling either foggy brain or that my brain has been sucked out.  Oh, and let’s not forget the irritability and the impatience & just wanting to lay down & be left alone. I actually used to be the “fun one”, now a movie on my iPad is about all I can handle - also, total intolerance to heat - 

• Posted

Haha you sound like my wacky sense of humour.we all different so dnt panic you may not end up that long lol.have you tried apple cyder vinegar .a tablesppon in hot water every morn with bit of honey you will notice a change in your digestion over a few weeks .i also have been going gluten free im so much better
    • Posted

Hi Shona - Yes, I was on the ACV thing for a bit, I didn’t notice a huge improvement, but will re-visit it - I just started on a probiotic & am trying to incorporate more fermented foods in my diet.  I also chew ginger chews & papaya enzymes like candy.  I have been trying to watch my sugar intake and probably should eliminate all dairy & gluten....a wheel of Brie & a crusty French bread is really all this girl wants, but I suppose I can find happiness in a veggie roll 🤣 I keep reading about how your gut has it’s own brain & nervous system, I just need my gut to get re-wired already! I swear I drink water & I have gas & bloating - Ugh!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. When this started a few months ago I was my usual measured self and kept saying to my husband, the symptoms arent precisely indicative of MS so its probably something simple. I maintained that approach whilst searching the NET for answers. Then yesterday as things symptom wise seemed to have reached a bit of a head I think I was 'breaking'. Just at my lowest, I read everyones comments late last night and sent a comment in myself in the hope of adding to the symptom list to help others. This morning I am back to my old self. Yes, I still have paresthesia but Im not constantly wondering what it is. As I have it pretty much everywhere I now see that it is hormonal from reading other peoples accounts. My doctor had said she didnt think it was MS because it was on both sides and I didnt have any weakness etc. I had been thinking of trying a bit of yoga, nice suggestion. Thanks.

• Posted

Cyclist 51 thats great to hear .im not sure what it is about the yin yoga whether its the stretching and the control of breath.its probably both but give it a go and let me know .i also think as we constantly think about it because its constantly with us that maybe we keep it going .anyway thinking of you and everyone else out there like me .its great that at least we not totally alone with this.
    • Posted

Yes .hay get a jar of saurkraut as well the one you buy at healthshop thats in cold storage is best as it keeps the live probiotics active .1 tablespoon a day is great with your food .its the best for gut.also try to eliminate coffee .and carbonated drinks .these upset my tummy terribly and creates enough gas to blow up a country l hahaha
    • Posted

Hi Shona - u r funny! ?? A good sense of humor! I never really thought about it, but you are probably correct, I do drink a fair share of sparkling water since it feels like a “treat” for me, but it’s probably adding to my already combustible gut.  Another thing to eliminate - Dang it!  I just allow myself one cup of coffee in the morning - I just can’t give that up...& herbal teas in the morning just don’t do it for me - Ugh!

• Posted

Shona - Yes, lucky for me I am a Sauerkraut lover - 
    • Posted

Alpha Lipoic Acid seriously depletes Biotin which when low can cause tingling in the arms and legs. A higher dose ALA will also deplete other B's thiamine, niacin and riboflavin so you should never take ALA without a good B complex with the active forms. It also can deplete selenium, copper, and zinc and so not something to take more then a few weeks. 

Alcohol lowers zinc, magnesium, copper, iron and some B complex vitamins. It also spikes your cortisol even more then a stress event, and over time can lead to adrenal issues. 

• Posted

Hi yes i dont drink for this reason and also it spikes my heart arrythmia
    • Posted

A lemon squeezed into warm water every morning and drunk before anything else goes in your mouth
    • Posted

Wow datadragon I didn’t realize that about ALA.  thanks for the heads up.  You’re a wealth of knowledge.  I’m going to stop ala and talk with endocrinologist.  A million thanks to you 
    • Posted

Hi Shona - I do drink lemon water...thank you!  Hey, I can’t remember if you are the one who also experiences “burning sensations” but since you & are similar in our age & post menopausal symptoms , I thought I would ask.  Last night I woke up to a doozy of an episode....burning nerves from my nipples all the way up to my neck & mostly upper back, but also down my spine.  Now this am I feel it in my lower face - This happened to me around the same time in April which landed me in the ER & again in May & June, but not as severe as the April & July episodes.  If you get this maybe you can describe what it feels like for you.  Mine just feels like a really bad sunburn, but last night my chest felt like all the nerves were on fire. Also I can’t sleep - my arms kind of feel weird too..is it hormonal? Anxiety? ???  Ugh? 

• Posted

I dont have problems with drugs or generally drink alcohol thankfully. I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose and was a bit bubbly...cheesygrin

I did go to a 12-step program to help support a date a few times. It was a 12-step program for people who talk too much... On and on anon!  

Alcohol does deplete Magnesium. Too much calcium and not enough magnesium can cause erratic firing of the heart. 

• Posted

I wonder if I ate only organic and went completely magnesium stearate free I would in turn find my natural pheromone levels to skyrocket and suddenly would become desired by millions of women like an axe commercial.   Going to try that and see biggrin

ALA also is a mercury chelator, so it will pull mercury out of tissues and dental amalgams. It should never be used by those with amalgams since its pulling out stored mercury into your body. So if you arent continuing to take ALA all day in smaller doses, when the ala will go away it leaves the mercury free and cause side effects. Our bodies are complex, but it does seem that b vitamins may be involved in your issues, perhaps the douglas labs b complex with metfolin would help.  Hopefully something will help improve your symptoms.

• Posted

Hi ive not had that but yes burning prickly legs and i chatter my teeth i notice these and my lower face tingly when my anxiety levels up .so could be either
    • Posted

Also prickly arms at times welk burning prickly yes like after sunburn.i get a thicker sensation at times on lower right arm and leg as well.funny cos this is also side i had rash shingles on my thigh which is wen this all started .do you have anxiety too?
    • Edited

Hi Debra

Ive posted before but not to you. Just letting you know that I experienced the burning sensations you're talking about which feels like a sunburn. It would wake me up almost every night and it was really scary because at the time I didn't know what it was. This happened last year after the numbness, prickling, muscle spasms. I had mri and blood tests but nothing could be found. My dr was puzzled and thought maybe it was anxiety and gave me valium but I would still wake up with the burning. After researching online I suggested to him that maybe it was hormonal. So he gave me hrt to trial and after a few days the burning was 1st to go. Then gradually the prickling went away. So yes. It was hormonal.

• Posted

Hi Shona & Stav - Thank you for responding - Trying to figure all this stuff is crazy!  I can’t help but think the burning & the hand tingling is hormonal, but then I never really know.  It appears that after I have a burning episode, (which always seems to come on @ night) then the next morning I feel anxious.  Sooo, I was thinking perhaps it was just anxiety causing it or perhaps chronic inflammation.  I wish I could go on HRT & get some relief, but I am 61 & too old to be put on it...I just need to start saying some novenas, & 🙏 this bloody nightmare goes away soon!  Thanks again ladies - appreciate the reassurance! 

• Posted

Ok datadragon now I’m confused on the ALA can I just discontinue it or am I going to kill myself with mercury? Lol.  I was taking 600mg daily since May and it didn’t seem to help anyway.  That said since I stopped the crappy multivitamin my symptoms seem a bit worse but I read somewhere symptoms can get worse before they get better? Something called “coasting” have you heard about that? 
    • Edited

Hi again Debra

The burning episodes only came on at night too. In fact they woke me up each time. My dr initially thought it was anxiety so he gave me valium to try. But even with the valium I would still wake up with the burning and that's when he told me that it wasn't anxiety causing it because the valium should have stopped that. I'm 56 by the way. I went on HRT last August at 55 so maybe I was lucky to have started on it before it was too late. I couldn't stand to have these symptoms day in day out like so many others on this forum. For me HRT has certainly improved my quality of life. Also one of my workmates who is in her late 50s was having the burning episodes, waking up with them like me. She figured it was hormonal. She also found it scary. Eventually it went away (she's not on hrt) and one of my friends who is my age told me that she gets the burning in her legs, again only at night when she lays in bed. So fingers crossed it goes away for you too.

• Posted

Debra I’m with ya on the novenas! Only God knows what’s wrong I think.  All 3 of my docs....endocrinologist, GP and neurologist told me that my vitamin B6 level of 39.3 was not causing my tingling?
    • Edited

Thank you so much Stav! Yes, I have also had the burning in the front of my calves & tops of my feet, but this back chest thing is a “doozy”.  Since no healthcare professional that I have seen seems to know wtf I am talking about, it’s very reassuring to hear that others have experienced it.  I have even been keeping a food journal thinking something I ate was contributing to it....it’s just so odd that it comes on at night....must be when hormone levels are low & possibly high cortisol kicks in.  I also feel really funky the next day, like right now I have a little burning in my back, but just feel “off”.  I can’t than you enough for responding and am sooo thankful for this forum!  Be well!

• Posted

Hi Tara - yes, I must say that thruout this whole journey I have come to question the medical community more - I think most drs are in the dark ages regarding woman’s menopausal health.  I have learned more from this forum and my own research than from any dr.   I have found the naturopath & acupunturist to have the most knowledge - 

• Posted

Tara stop the ala if you have mercury fillings it's the reason I don't take it look up all vitamins supplements before taking they can have side effects just like prescription drugs some are very dangerous if you don't watch what your taking

• Posted

Thanks for the advice datadragon.  I’m going to give it a try and see what happens.  One day army a time ...
    • Posted

Debra I totally agree that drs are still in the dark ages and I don’t think they are teally paying attention
    • Posted

PLease do not follow that book-it is bogus science. That book should be banned!!  Overloading your body with progesterone will cause other terrible symptoms.   I have only found 2 things that are a wealth of information. 

1) menopause Barbi-book and YouTube videos. 

2)A survivals guide to Surgical Menopause. -internet pamphlet-even though I haven’t had a hysterectomy-it is a wealth of information. I just found it and want to contact them and ask them to make a phamplet for us non-surgical menopause. 

These 2 items are extremely informative and not just that fluff on hot flashes. 

• Edited

Hi Debra - I have been having the “buzzing” feeling for 3 years now. Mine changes. I have it in my legs during the day and then moves to my chest at night. The doctors think I am crazy. I have been to 4 neuros. 3 of which suggested i see a psychiatrist. I Am not crazy. I have good days and bad. The past few months it had gotten really better almost gone until last week when it came back. I am not in pain just constant buzzing. 
    • Edited

Hi there Mddm - May I ask how old you are & are you Peri or post menopause?  Have you also experienced any burning body parts along with the buzzing/tingling?  Last night I had another doozy of an episode - woke me up @ 3:00 am with burning sensation in back (middle) bottom of spine, neck & then almost felt like it was in my stomach.  I felt nauseous & almost like I was going to start my period (been without one for 6 years) had upset stomach & just could not sleep - also had heart palpitations & pulsating Head.  Felt really off today with some continual burning but nothing like last night.  First time I experienced anything like the burning sensation was on the front of my calves in March, April was the worst which landed me in the ER cuz I experienced the chest/back burning - always comes on at night. May/June some burning, not so bad July/Bad & August not so bad, but Sept...a doozy!  I just don’t know anymore, is it hormones or lack of or anxiety causing this - I can’t continue like this...it’s literally affecting my life - I have lost days - Ugh! 

• Posted

for those of you who have had buzzing for several years, please confirm if any of you have EXPERIENCED muscle weakness in your hands

• Posted

Hello - No I have no muscle weakness only the constant buzzing.

• Posted

Debra, so sorry that i did not see this. For the past 5 years its only been the buzzing. I've had the burning pain start in the last 2 months. I am 49 and not sure where I am with menopause. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago. I only have some hot/cold flashes. I've really had no other symptoms.

• Posted

HI Shona

it is like you described my symptoms.. my right leg bottom gets all burny creepy crawly feeling.. I don't really feel any pains and needles but it feels kinda funny like cold but hot...at night though my body also burns ... keeps me out of sleep...!! I had vitb12 def and had two injections.... please can you tell me what you mean by 'you don't know if it is vitb12 or chiro'? lol..

Tams

• Posted

Hi Stav

That is the best news I have heard in a long time... that with HRT your burning went away! That gives me hope. My dr prescribed me estrogen patch... but I have to go back as he should have given me progesterone as well! I still have my uterus... I am so afraid to use HRT, but at this point I am so over this burning... I can't sleep at night... Thanks for sharing..

xx

Tams

• Posted

Hi Tamsin

Yes give Hrt a go. You will definitely need progesterone if you have a uterus. Don't be afraid of Hrt( unless you have problems with your breasts). Our bodies need oestrogen, that's why we have these horrible symptoms without it. Check out Menopause Taylor on YouTube, Barbara Taylor. She's a retired gynecologist and produces weekly tutorials on Menopause. I have learnt so much from her. One of my colleagues had the burning sensations and she went on a patch with oral progesterone and her symptoms are gone along with the hot flushes and anxiety. I've been on a medium dose of Hrt now for 2 and a half years and loving it. It's really improved the quality of my life...no paresthesia, no burning, no extreme anxiety which was leading to panic attacks, more energy, thinking clearly, as well as protecting my heart ,brain and bones.

• Posted

Oh you have given me hope Stav!! Thank you so much... Just today I am going back to my dr... will call at 8.15 for appointment! Have a wonderful day!

xx

Tams

• Edited

Hi Tara just wondering how you are getting on with your symptoms. I am also experiencing headaches with bad neck ache and pins and needle in hands and feet. the pins and needles seem to be getting worse, it was always maybe once a week or 2 were I would have to shake them back to life in the middle of the night, now its every night and sometimes throughout the day. Are yours still happening?

• Posted

Hi Stav

Was wondering how long it was until the paresthesia stopped after starting HRT. I have recently been put on Oestrogen gel and had the Mirena coil fitted for hormones. It's only been 2 weeks so was hoping it will still relieve symptoms, just take a bit longer??

• Posted

Hi Claire

It took a while about 4 -5 months to be symptom free. The prickling sensations gradually went away. The first thing that disappeared was the nightly burning sensations. This happened within the 1st week. I had 2 or 3 more episodes the last one being mild and then they were gone. The prickling took longer and at 1st I didn't think they would go away but gradually they did and they have never returned thank goodness as it was awful. It takes a while for the estrogen to be fully immersed in your body.

• Posted

Hi Stav

Well that's reassuring to know that they eventually disappeared. I was hoping you would say that! That's good news that it relieved your symptoms, it gives me a little hope as, as you say the pins and needles sensation is a horrible thing! Thank you for replying.

• Posted

I'm 47 and had sudden localized tingling starting on left foot. That soon spread to the right one. The next day period came with unusual headache and nausea. Headache passed but tingling stayed. Missed one month's period for the first time a few months ago and pregnancy test was negative. Talked to internal medicine doctor who suspected peripheral neuropathy. I also have autoimmune thyroiditis with Hashimoto's encephalopathy and active celiac disease. Doctor prescribed me gabapentin that I didn't take, as it doesn't bother much (feel it more when body is hot, then vasodilation on feet is noticeable. Now it reminds me of allergic reaction I had to pneumococcal vaccine times ago- feet, face and hands got red with tingling, but then that just lasted for a few minutes). Now waiting for intestine biopsy for chronic diarrhea and to see neurologist.

• Posted

Hi! I am a little late to this conversation, but so glad that I found this forum. I am Jumping in here since this looks like one of the more recent posts.

I am 60 and have been “post menopause” for 9 years. I started Peri symptoms when I was around 46-47. lot of the standard stuff – hot flashes, night sweats, moods, insomnia, but also lots of IBS problems and terrible vaginal pain. I powered through it without HRT and figured once I got to the other side, I would just deal with whatever old lady problems still remained. The only other health problem I developed then was this weird pins & needles all over my body. They were random and everywhere. This came out of nowhere and wasn’t very painful, just odd and scary. I went to a few doctors but none of them ever said it could be hormones; it was probably just "stress-related". I took that and just didn’t pay much attention to it as it came and went (a few times a year) for over a decade.

Fall of 2018, my paresthesia re-appeared and it was terrible! SO much more painful and intense and it didn’t go away. This time I freaked and over 8 months saw 10+ doctors of all different specialties. They all ran multiple tests (blood work, MRIs, nerve conduction etc.) and nobody could find anything wrong. They gave me medications that made me sick and didn't work. I also saw chiropractors, acupuncturist, homeopathic doctors, and naturopaths and spent thousands of dollars. Nothing helped.

Along the way, my endocrinologist suggested that hormones could be playing a role so I asked my ob/gyn about it. He touts himself as a menopause specialist yet he said he never had one patient in 25 years complain of paresthesia/neuropathy. But he put me on a low dose of Evamist and 100 mg of progesterone because in his opinion I was still in the age range to start and he thought it might give me other benefits. All I cared about was getting rid of the paresthesia. After that, I had some good days and bad days and was also working on the whole psychological mind/body relationship trying to heal myself by retraining my brain to not process pain signals. I was also working on managing my stress and anxiety because multiple doctors said that was likely the cause of it all.

About 3 months after I started the HRT (with no solid relief from the body pains) I developed Burning Mouth Syndrome too. Insult added to injury! I went down another bunch or rabbit holes trying to get a diagnosis on that with 5 different specialists. Nobody could really help me because there is no definitive cause for BMS. So since last October I have been living with both. I has been hell.

About 6 weeks ago, I decided to stop the HRT – I am trying to eliminate as many prescriptions as I can in an effort to reset my body. Weirdly after I stopped, my mouth got a somewhat better, but my body pain got worse burning, stinging etc. This made me think that the hormones are the key. I have an appointment to see a doctor about Bio-identical HRT. My other GYN never took a blood test or changed my dose or suggested a different kind of HRT other than the basic synthetic stuff at the lowest dose.

I am hoping maybe I need my hormones balanced differently or I need a higher dose. I am trying to be optimistic this might help because I do believe that hormones are the cause of my paresthesia which is getting progressively worse – it is now like bee stings and electricity zapping me all day long. About the only thing that helps is a few glasses of wine but sometimes not even that.

I can’t tell you how much it helped reading all the comments on this thread... I feel like I have finally found my people after all this time of others (doctors) looking at me like I am crazy when I describe what is going on in my body. It is strange mine got worse so long after my actual menopause, but maybe that was when my hormones finally crashed.

Sorry this is so long, but if anyone here has some thoughts or similar themes with their menopause-induced paresthesia I would love to the input!

• Posted

Hi Dale, I've been suffering with numbness and burning and pins & needles in my hands and feet for about 18 months now. and I'm 50 and can't bear the thought of this going on for as long as you have had it, I really feel for you. For me, it happens 95% of the time at night and it wakes me up. Sometimes I get weird sensations in my head at the same time and i'm so frightened when that happens. I've seen 2 different doctors who both looked at me like i'm crazy. I think I am going to have to try HRT and I definitely think you should ask about getting yours changed. i'm told it can take a bit of tweaking to find the right type and dose for you. We're definitely not crazy! like you I get great comfort from this forum. take care

• Posted

Wow Dale - you & i could be twins - i am 8 years post & all my crazy symptoms ramped up about 3 years ago & i am now 63. i like you, have spent a bloody fortune on every dr, naturopaths, endocrinologist, rheumatologist, obgyn, acupunturist, nutritionist, therapist, holistic chiropractor etc etc etc No body has helped - i got a lot of the tingling & electric shocks in the beginning of this madness, but now i primarily get the burning body parts which generally comes on in the middle of the night & stay with me until whenever it also accompanies anxiety as well - i thought at first it was anxiety related but i still believe it is hormone related even though there isnt a dr out there that seems to agree with me. i think after menopause that our nervous system is just spent & everything impact to it whether stress, toxins or ? impacts it - i was just prescribed bio identical hormones by my endocrinologist, but i am afraid to take them since i battle with high blood pressure & just reading the brochure scares me, plus i am not sure its really safe @ my age to start - ugh! so many issues to deal with - do you also suffer from joint, ligament, tendon pain?

• Edited

I wish you the best of luck in trying to get it sorted out. Frankly I wish I had gone on hormones when I was your age, because I probably would not be going through this all now. My mother had breast cancer and because of that my OB/GYN at the time told me I absolutely cannot take hormone replacement. But I have zero quality-of-life at this point so I am actually OK taking the small risk so i can feel better I have my fingers crossed that this new doctor that I am seeing in two weeks - I hope he will be able to find a mix of hormones that actually fixes this problem. The worst part is the doctors acting like you are nuts!

make sure you find a Dr who really specializes in hormones. Apparently, thyroid issues are a part of the mix

in finding the right balance Good luck!

• Posted

oh my gosh! Twins is right! You and I do sound like we’ve been on the same

journey to hell ! I understand your hesitation in trying the HRT, I have a history of breast cancer in my family so I am extremely nervous about taking them too. But I honestly have so little quality of life I’m ready to take a small risk to feel better.

it is truly weird that we would both get this after we were so far post menopause. I guess there is some thing to what you say about our nervous systems being spent at this point. Though my body was definitely giving me signals as I was in the perimenopause phase. I just ignored them and thought that I needed to deal with my stress and anxiety better.

I think the rule of thumb that is used in terms of starting to use hormone replacement is that it needs to be done before you hit 10 years post I guess ideally you should be no older than 60 but I think the 5 to 10 year post range is actually more important.

as I said in my reply above, I think the most frustrating part about this is that the doctors are all so uninformed. I literally saw at least 10 doctors and only one suggested in passing that this might be because of low estrogen. Then I go on the Internet and find so many articles about how this is definitely a symptom of menopause.

Anyway I wish you luck and I will post again after I see the doctor and fingers crossed hopefully get some relief. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Stav - I have been on BHRT for just about 2 weeks i am having a lot of side effects as i am getting adjusted. I was curious if you felt like things got worse before they improved. I know you said your burning issues went away almost immediately (I dont really have that- just terrible pins and needles and electric

shocks), but did it take awhile before you really started seeing overall improvement? I am having breast pain, stomach distress (constipation) and even more parasthesia it seems. No breaks from it at all where i used to have some not so bad days. I am trying so hard to be patient but this is awful!

• Posted

Hi Dale

Yes, it took several weeks before things got better. The pricking for example took a while before it disappeared and at 1st I thought the HRT wasn't working. I also had breast pain and and at one stage nausea. But all those initial symptoms have gone now. It takes a while for your body to adjust. But now it's all good. I've been on hrt for 3 years and feel great on it. No more prickling, burning, anxiety, fatigue, dryness, hair loss, brain fog ...the list goes on. It's really improved the quality of my life. So give it time because it takes a few months before it's fully in your system.

• Posted

hi! Thank you so much for your quick and encouraging response! I’m trying very hard to remain optimistic, but still I’m feeling so crappy and this has been two years of absolute hell since it started. I do wish I had considered hormone replacement years ago since my body was giving me signals on this paresthesia. I am fully convinced that the problems I’ve been having are hormonal, but because it started seven years post menopause, no doctor I mentioned it to would believe me. Thank goodness for this forum. Reading stories like yours and hearing that things can get better is giving me some hope! I will be patient and keep my fingers crossed that the HRT works. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Dale

my symptoms started 5 years post menopause.. the paresthesia. The hot flashes started well before then during perimenopause. And many doctors don't know much about menopause so they try investigating other things that might be wrong with you. I suggested to my dr to try hormones which he hadn't thought of and eventually they worked. I'm on a medium dose.. I take .625 premarin and 2.5 Provera . There's a retired gynecologist on youtube called Menopause Taylor (Barbara Taylor) and she posts weekly videos about Menopause. She's amazing. Check her videos out if you have time. Good luck.

• Posted

Wow! What a coincidence and how strange that your paresthesia started so many years after menopause as well. And I have watched that doctor on YouTube. Her information has been super helpful as well. Thanks again for your input!

• Posted

i am having the same issue with parastasia and bilatwral neuropathy. ive been stable on HRT fir 4 years but these symptoms started 7 mos ago. ive seen a rheumo, endo, gastro and some pcp's. Neuro soon.

ive had tons of labs. my endo thinks my high estrogen is causing. ive been hsong a bery high hrt dose to manage migraines.

Have you found your answer yet?

• Posted

HI there,

I am late to this game and reading all of these comments. Making me feel not alone. I too, have had 2 bad episodes of tingling buzzing in my chest. It was so intense I called 911. I have had every test as well and have seen many doctors. I am on anti anxiety now, and take Migrelief which has seemed to help. I upped my vitamin b12 and D and magnesium too. Have you had any relief? And did you ever get numbing in one eye after an attack that lasts for 24 to 72 hours?

Thank you !!!

• Posted

HI there!

I too have had 2 episodes of intense pins and needles across my entire body. Your post made me feel not crazy. I actually called 911. I have seen so many doctors and have had multiple tests, MRI, cat scan, brain waves, etc. All normal.I am on anti anxiety because it scared the hell out of me. I take Migrelief which my neurologist told me patients have had success minimizing peri post menopause symptoms, and it has helped. I also upped my B12, vitamin D, and some others. Did you ever get slight numbing under one eye after a tingling episode?How are you doing today, and what has helped you.

Thank you!!!

• Posted

i had the same tingling across my chest too and buzzing on my left side really worried me at first but i think its to do with nerve compression i notice i get mine when I'm bloated unless its a coincidence ,really freaked me out though kinda got used to it now and hoping it'll go when this HRT kicks in 😉

• Posted

hi Debra

If it makes you feel better, I am 16 years post menopause, which came at 50, with little or no symptoms. Suddenly a year ago, just a month before my 65 birthday, I started getting random fleeting stabbing pains in different parts of my body. I had several bouts of severe muscle twitching in my abdomen. However, the worst and scariest sensation of all was the formication (classed under paresthesia). Like marching ants in my head, face,.. the feeling that I had a hair on my face, or drops of water on different parts. slight twitching in muscle. Nighttime in bed was the worst, I would get heart palpitations just lying in bed (I am quite fit, as I do weight training, spinning, etc. with no problem). I naturally thought the worse, MS, parkinson, heart problems,diabetes...I also started having feelings of dread and a nervous stomach. I had a slew of tests, blood test, which came back normal. It was suggested it might be stress, anxiety and I should take a weak antidepressant. i resisted as there was nothing in my life to cause stress. I am by nature a very positive and happy go lucky person, i have been happily married for 40 years, great friends and family, no financial or health issues, and I never get stressed, not even in exams or work.

i had a thorough heart exam, wore 24 hour monitor, nothing showed up. MRI ruled out MS, Parkinsons. I feel fine generally and not fatigued. Traditional doctors have no clue.

I started researching and all my symptoms pointed to menopause hormone fluctuations, as I started finding forums with women in similar situation. One article was entitled "menopause and the creepy crawlies", explaining that this is one of the least talked about symptoms. I mentioned it to the various doctors and they all scoffed at the idea because of my age. I sometimes get spikes in my blood pressure when i am in bed for no apparent reason and I can feel my blood pumping and get a buzzing, fizzy feeling.

Despite all this, my symptoms do not affect my to day living. its just plain frustrating not knowing what it is. this has been going on for over a year. I am convinced it is fluctuations in oestrogen levels. I am going to try acupuncture as a last resort. like you, i am praying for it to end, but I guess I should be grateful it started so late for me and lived 15 years with no symptoms. But, I am still positive and cheerful.

• Posted

I am so glad I found your post! I am twenty months post menopause and I have the very worst medical anxiety. I can relate to your post. I have just had this itching and burning skin, not so much burning but like hot needle pricks all over my body. I have been suffering from regular styes in my eyes and extremely bad dry eye and went to the optomertrist who put me on Minocycline which made me lightheaded and gave me a rash under my breasts, over my stomach and around my groin. I stopped taking it. My digestion is shot and has been for a couple of years, it comes and goes. I have googled my guts out and have just made things worse for myself. I like you have spent literally thousands of dollars over the past 10 years trying to find something to help, none of it has! I agree, about the only thing that does help is a few wines but I have now done so much googling that I have convinced myself that my itchy skin is my liver packing up! I don't want to go back to the Dr because it always comes back that nothing is wrong. Just wish this would all go away!

• Edited

I'm 53 and a few weeks ago out of the blue I experienced numbess and tingling in my left foot and calf, and in my right hand. I believe I'm in menopause for other more common symptoms.

a little background....I drink alcohol daily, I have hypertension, i'm having marital issues, my oldest son just passed away at 31, his father my ex (and still my best friend) passed away 2 days later. Does anyone think my current symptom could be stress, menopause, or hypertension related. I'm scaring myself googling it. Thank you in advance.

• Posted

How are you now? Did you get to the bottom of it?

• Posted

My heart goes out to you. I think its hormonal, too many of us are having the same symptoms. Check out Dr. Louise Newson's website in England, she is amazing!

• Posted

I don't think it is worth seeing a male doctor, I'm not returning to mine. He just said 'deal with it.' I am recommending Dr. Louise Newson's website, she is a menopause expert in England, and is trying to educate the medical community on these symptoms.

• Posted

I am 60, had last period at 42, went through the hot flashes and mood swings of perimenopause after that some occasional dry eye, clicking in joints, and sore feet, but could handle it, then a couple of months ago I developed some type of urethritis it went on for weeks, urinating constantly that eventually stopped but overnight and after three nights of waking up soaked in sweat I developed pain in whole body, terrible pain in hands, tendons, muscles, extreme burning in finger tips, feeling of sunburn on arms at night, pins and needles in hands, lower legs, burning mouth, dry eye, twitching, muscle spasms, lethargy, very sore spots on muscles, I wake up in a panic for no reason. The gyne was cruel, said I was too old for HRT, and I was 60 and hormones continue to decline for life, I felt like I had done something wrong by being 60, I feel I need to be on a patch. Seeing a medical doctor/homeopath this saturday, the fact he is a man has made me lose confidence, I don't think any man could possibly understand this. I am on a waiting list to talk to the clinic in England run by Dr. Louise Newson, her info is really great, but I do need to talk to someone and not just read a website. The sensations are frightening and crazy making.

• Posted

I am 60 and 18 years post menopause although I got pregnant almost a year after my last period. I thought I had gone through menopausal symptoms but now I am beset with so many such as constant sensation of insects moving in my feet, hands, face, calves, terrible pins and needles. These symptoms began with a urinary tract inflammation that is gone, but the rest continue, total exhaustion attacks, waking up in dread (not caused by thinking because I was asleep). I went to the ER, and the young PA decided I was anxious (why wouldn't I be with those sensations), young people are clueless and so are men when it comes to this. The gyne (male) said for some women symptoms just get worse, and was annoyed I took more than 15 minutes and was rude to me. I left crying. He said I am too old for HRT. I went to a functional clinic last week, the doctor is booked for a year, so I had to see the nurse practitioner, a young Asian woman, who at one point suggested syphilis, it was so disheartening, I knew she also due to youth had no empathy, and didn't give any weight to hormone fluctuations, mind you the gyne said he thought I had a massive estrogen drop. I am going to keep searching until I find an answer. Not enough female menopause doctors around, maybe in the future there will be, needed desperately.

• Posted

i get all of those symptoms and im perimenopause x

• Posted

Hi just saw this post i have terrible pins needles numbness in legs and arms hoping to start HRT have you resolved this yet interested to know thanks

• Posted

Did you take a fluoroquinolone antibiotic for the urinary tract infection? Like Cipro? That class of drugs can cause neuropathy, among other symptoms. You could look up "fluoroquinolone toxicity" or "Cipro toxicity".

• Posted

Oh gosh - I'm so sorry for your loss!! I think it could be all of that really. I am 53 and having the numbness/tingling/pinching sensation but it happens all over my body. I also get electric shock sensation on my chest sometimes. I am hoping it is just perimenopause...I've read these things have been reported by women going through it, so it's totally possibly it is that for you, compounded by all that you are going through. I hope you are doing better.

• Posted

Hi there - have you had any progress with the tingling/buzzing, etc.? I ask because I'm having all of that, plus sharp head pains (acute), and electric shock sensation on my chest. I'm 53 and still menstruating...hoping it's all hormonal fluctuations.

• Posted

Hi Tara I know this is an old post but wondered if you're still in here? I could have written your post! Even down to mine starting after a really bad aura migraine on my left side?! Did you find any relief at all?

• Posted

i have all of this !!!! numbness, tingling , muscle twitching..... have had all the test run ... clear . All i can figure is menopause ... its miserable

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.