Menopause and polyp

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a hysteroscopy yesterday and a polyp was found (quite large) so now I have to have it removed.  I'm 53 and gone through menopause years ago.  Anyone gone through same situation? 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I had a polyp removed years ago mine they told me was the size of a pea   

I didn't hardly feel a thing  and it only took a few minutes to do  good luck with yours 

• Posted

Hi Carina

i had a very large polyp removed 2 years ago, just had my mirena coil removed 8 weeks ago and they found another so just waiting to see gyno and see when they can remove this one, never suffered with them ever and then two in two years, I started peri about 2 1/2 years ago, does make you wonder if it's connected xx

• Posted

The very large one I was put to sleep to have it removed, do never felt a thing, this one is small do not sure yet how this will be removed, I will find out this Wednesday xx
  • Posted

Since I had my hysteroscopy on Fri, I am bleeding (like a period but a lot lighter), is this normal?  I just can't wait now to have my op and get it removed knowing now that I've got this polyp.
  • Posted

Did you all have a pelvic scan as well as the hysteroscopy?  My appointment has come through for my scan and I was told that although the hysteroscopy is a more detailed exam where they can see more, a scan is usually needed as well to look at the ovaries etc 
    • Posted

Hi Carina

firstly yes it is normal for the bleeding after the hysterscopy and also stomach cramps for about a week.

when I went on Wednesday he checked and he couldn't find the polyp, so he says it must of fallen off, so I am going for a scan and then I have to go back in three months if there is still no sign of the polyp and I'm still bleeding  in between periods then I have to have the hysterscopy again.

because I have had the mirena removed 12 weeks ago he says it could take another month or two for my hormones to settle down, so the bleeding in between could still be mirena related xx

• Posted

Hi Carina, I was diagnosed this past week with endometrial hyperplasia with a polyp...I have to have a D&C and hysteroscopy done soon.  I'm 53 was post menopause for yr and half aand then i was ovulating and had a period and now i'm having spot bleeding on/off every other day....some cramping and my uterus linging is too thick.  too much going on.  were you having any bleeding with the ployp?
    • Posted

Yes I am still having light bleeding with my polyp which apparently is quite large she said, taking up most of my cavity.  I am now waiting for my pelvic scan next week.  I am set to have the polyp removed under local anaesthetic and just waiting for my appointment date to come through - I just want it over and done with.
  • Posted

Does anyone know but would a polyp make you bleed like having a continuous period?  I am wondering whether there is more to my problem than just a large polyp.  I am waiting to have a scan in a few days.  I saw my GP today and my biopsy has come back ok so not sure why I'm bleeding non stop. 
    • Posted

Hi Carina

yes it can if its a large one, my first polyp was very large and I was constantly spotting, I saw the gyno last week about a second one I have and because of spotting again nd when he examined me he couldn't find it, so it looks like it may of fallen off, I am going for another scan and then I have to go back in 3 months, if it's still not there and I'm still spotting then I have to go in and have the camera up, I'm hoping it won't come to this, as I have had it done before with the other one, and it means general anaesthetic. Don't worry if your other stuff have come back normal it could all be down to hormones xx

• Posted

Hi Carina, I was diagnosed last week with endometrial hyperplasia and a polyp ...not sure how big it is....i have to have a D&C and hysteroscopy ...first to prmary doctor for pre surgery medical work up then schedule the D&C....i'm nervous about it also....have not had a period in yr and half...i'm 53.....scared....i am phobic about being examined even to the point of not being able to have a pap smear ....i have had continuous spotting for the last two weeks ever so light some days but still there.  I want to be put under GA b/c I dont think i can deal with a local only.  I'm hoping for a positive outcome with my biopsy but nervous about it.  i'm also very overweight and obviously making too  much estrogen b/c of the excess fat.  i'm hoping it too is just my hormones and not something sinister like the big C.  Good luck with your procedure.
    • Posted

did you have hysteroscopy and scan at the same time?  If not, which did you have first?
  • Posted

I told my GP that I was scared it might be ovarian cancer as 11 years ago I was diagnosed with a small cyst on one of my ovaries and fibroids so after going through menopause I didn't think I would ever have any problems like this.  I asked for a CA-125 blood test (supposed to be a tumour marker for ovarian cancer) and thankfully my result was normal however my HCG level (the pregnancy hormone which can also be a tumour marker) was borderline ie level should be 5 mmol or below, mine was 5 but my GP said that I may be re-tested for this in a couple of months time and providing it doesn't rise, it should be ok.  I am waiting for an appointment to have my polyp removed under local anesthetic (I have chosen local) and just want it out now but now want to get this scan over and done with on Sunday so that I have more of an idea of my symptoms.  I am also very overweight.
  • Posted

I am getting really nervous about my scan on Sunday after having a hysteroscopy 2 weeks ago.  I was given the choice of either having the hysteroscopy first and scan later or vice versa but I chose the hysteroscopy first as she said they can see a lot more with this .  Just wondering why she didn't remove the polyp there and then instead of me having to now wait for an appointment for my removal.  Anyone else had same? 
    • Posted

Are you in the UK or USA?  I am in USA ...i'm having a D&C and the hysteroscopy at the same time..and the biopsy  ..my doc told me the polyp will come out when they do the D&C....I understand your nervousness.....I'm sure you will be fine...i'm trying my hardest to be positive also.  I thought I might have one day of reprieve from the bleeding and I did ...about 21 hours and then tonight it started up again.  has been continuous pretty much for the last 3 weeks almost a month.   but its not heavy just when i wipe myself or some light spotting on a pad.  grateful for that i guess.  i do know that my hormones are out of whack w/out even being tested.  for lst couple days when i wasnt actually bleeding just brown discharge i was having hot flashes ....now that i'm bleeding the flashes have gone away. this used to happen to me all the time in peri .....and meno but so odd now that i've been post meno for yr and half.  please keep us posted about your outcome and how you are feeling.  i check these comments all the time and find comfort in knowing there are so many other women out there in the world that have a similar problem.  God bless.
    • Posted

I live in the UK and have my pelvic scan tomorrow, this is just a follow up routine appointment from the hysteroscopy I had.  I am also waiting for my appointment to have my polyp removed which should be in a few weeks.  She said they can see a lot more with the hysteroscopy and take a biopsy from the uterus, the scan she said is to look at the ovaries and lining of the womb etc.  At least for now, I know I have a large polyp which needs to be removed and nothing sinister has shown up from the biopsy so that is reassuring for now, am just a bit nervous of the scan tomorrow when they will look at my ovaries knowing I had a small simple ovarian cyst and fibroids when I had my last pelvic scan 11 years ago.  I read on the internet yesterday that a woman should have annual pelvic scans and check ups every year after the age of 40 - why wasn't I told this by my doctors? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.