Menopause and Tonsil Stones

Posted , 11 users are following.

Have any of you ladies had an increase or developed TONSIL STONES with post menopause?

I have always had them but never bothered me.

About 3 months ago I had this itching in my ear, like pokey feeling near my right tonsil. Doctor could not see anything, lymph nodes were not swollen nor were my tonsils.

She put me on antibiotics and didn't help.

I finally took a long q-tip and a flash light and they started falling out or me having to pop them out daily and this has been going on for about 2 months

Still have the pokey feeling but they are so deep I just have to wait until the work their way closer so I can get the little buggers.

Anybody else???

I swore I had some type of nasal-ear-tonsil cancer.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What do you mean pop out they that easy to remove do they bleed any when you pop them out never heard of this before .

• Posted

Hmmm I wonder if this is what I've had too, was it just one ear that was itchy deep inside? They actually come out? I've never tried to see, how deep do u go? Sorry for all questions. I don't know if this is what I might have, it's like a tickle deep in one ear and feels like i have something on the same side back in my throat..

• Edited

These are the grossest things on the face of the planet, and yes very common. Basically its accumulated residue of food that has collected in the lymph (pockets) of the tonsils.

If you have tonsils then you will to some degree have these periodically

xoxo

• Posted

Thank you for sharing xoxo, I will try and see if I can find these stones and maybe that will stop the weird feeling in my left side of throat and same side the tickle in my ear deep almost like it meets up with my throat same side..

• Posted

I would also mention this to your doc

and let them know that you think this is contributing to the weird feeling on the side of your throat. Maybe they have some way of getting them out more efficiently!

xoxo

• Posted

I know this seems gross but my daughter was telling me about this too. She has taken a q tip and put pressure on her tonsil pushing it to the left side and then to the right .. she says it makes some of those yucky things come out. I had no idea what she was talking about until she explained to me.

• Posted

Hi there,

I know exactly what you mean. However, I had this in my early 20s and at 26 had to have a my tonsils out. I was told they hadn't seen tonsils like it as they had "rotted".

No one has mentioned the smell! It was disgusting!

I am presuming it will go for you lovely ladies as I've never heard of anyone our age having their tonsils out.

It was suggested I gargled with water after every meal - made no difference for me as I believe it wasn't food causing the problem as GP suggested but came from the tonsils themselves.

If it is affecting your ear as well and GP is no use I would definitely encourage you to ask for referral to a consultant - just to be on the safe side.

Hope it gets sorted out!

• Posted

HI yeah tonsil stones are awlful i too get them out with a cotton bud i have to do it nearly every weekjusta push on the tonsil and there they are they have got lots worse since menopause i always know when i need to get them out as my throat becomes thick like dry and sore after ive got what i can out i gargle with mouth wash .... im sure the more i do it the more they are there ...

• Posted

I have these as well. I use a Popsicle stick. Sometimes they bleed. I have had fewer since going through peri-menopause, but still have them off and on. Blessings

• Posted

Hi Leisa,

I know this is an old post but I am having this same issue and I've convinced myself that I'm dying, yet again. I have severe hypochochondria and every new symptom, especially during these perimenopause years, causes me so much anxiety and worry over what it could be this time.

I have that same pokey feeling you describe on one side of my throat, the itchy ear sensation and also what I believe is silent reflux. That tonsil is a bit larger than the other but no soreness, swollen lymph nodes, feeling sick or anything. It seems that food pools between my tonsil and ear canal and then turns into tonsil stones that I can't access or cough up. I know they're there because of the horrible smell/taste when I yawn. If you've experienced them, you know what I'm talking about. I've had them every so often all my life but they were tiny and never caused any issues. Its been two months of this and it's driving me nuts . I'm hoping you can tell me that your similar situation resolved and it was nothing more serious. Hope you're well, thank you for any info you can provide me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.