Menopause & anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am after any advice please!

I am 50 years old & unsure when I started the menopause. I am on HRT which has helped with hot flushes etc, however I seem to have approximately two weeks feeling great & then suddenly anxiety hits & I feel terrible for a week or so & then it eases. Does anyone else have this? There seems to be a pattern....

Thank you so much.

4 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

OMG yes, I am also 50 and am on HRT and I feel good for 2 weeks and then bam all symptoms come back I thought that HRT took all symptoms away. I have been patiently waiting for this to happen . Is that not correct ?

• Posted

Thank you for replying. It certainly helps knowing we are not alone!

I have only been on HRT for a month - I know some women whose symptoms do go away, however, as yet, mine haven't - maybe I need to be patient......

How long have you been on HRT? Has it helped at all?

• Edited

Hi Lottie, I am going to be 52 in May and I am in perimenopause, no hrt yet. Anxiety is one of my worst symptoms, the one I find harder to deal with. It seems to be triggered by so many things these days, my mind is rarely at peace.

Things that help me are:

Being with people, whether it's colleagues, family or friends.

Keeping busy with work or a hobby (I am following a creative writing course, but it can be anything)

Going out for walks/jogging

Maybe there is more but the idea is to try and keep my mind occupied.

I too have good weeks. This is not a good week and that's why I am here tonight.

Reading other lady's stories helps. Thank you for adding your experience 😃

• Edited

Thank you for replying Moira.

I too find the anxiety the worst part of all of this. My body doesn't feel mine & my mind seems completely muddled with reality.

Thank you also for your tips. Really helpful. I try to keep busy - however when my symptoms reappear, sometimes I do struggle to do very much.

I keep having to remind myself that good weeks are just around the corner - as will yours!

I hope you feel better soon.

• Edited

i started HRT on Mar 13 increased dose on april 6 and then increased again on April 13 (1.25 estrogen) i do feel way better mentally now that my dr accepts the fact that it is menopause but symptoms are never gone

• Edited

Anxiety is HORRIBLE!!!! , but be patient : ) remember HRT can take six months to a year to work and level out. HRT does not replace your own hormones like birth control pills. HRT is much smaller doses of hormones. Anxiety can be caused from too much estrogen or too much adrenaline. Your own hormones are still trying to work so you're going to have imbalances each month until your own hormones finally give up and this can take a while. It can take up to 5 years once your period stops. Your body is in the habit of producing an egg and having a period every month for many, many years. Your body has been programmed to do this since you were a young girl. The average woman makes about 450 eggs in her lifetime that's a lot of eggs. So even when you stop your period your body is still going to try to produce an egg and have a period for a time. Many women will even experience cramps along with PMS symptoms though the first year or so after their period stops. HRT can help anxiety, but it takes time and your adrenalines have to calm down they are only trying to help by taking over the ovaries job by producing enough estrogen and progesterone to satisfy your hypothalamus. It is a mess specially when too much adrenaline comes charging in, but things will eventually calm down. Keep telling yourself it's not gonna last forever and pray the Lord will get you through this He is AWESOME!!! And with Him on your side what feels impossible is possible : ).

• Posted

i thank you all for sharing on this post. I was wondering if by taking any medicated HRT or herbal remedies to aid the transition into menopause and pulse menopause is a hindrance. because when I started taking a few over-the-counter supplements to help at one point in my 13th month post menopause I said wow I think things may be settling down but then when I started taking something to help me it appeared like the brain fog got worse, and I said maybe I just need to let my body ride it out.. is it better to let our bodies just ride through this transition And take nothing; and if so how long does it take before anxiety leaves & brain fog and other symptoms. has anyone took ever nothing and went cold turkey through menopause ....and have a timeline on what symptoms leave in which month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.