Menopause, Anxiety or Cancer???!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all....

I've listed about this before but is seems like my saga continues. I'm 49 and after having streaky blood in my discharge for about two weeks I decided to go to the doctor.... my usual doctor wasn't available so I saw a different GP.

I've been on citalopram for 8 years now for my health anxiety that came after the birth of my second child. Anyway, I explained the problem to the GP and she immediately said we better take a Pap test, I said I'd had one 5 months ago and thought it may be menopause related, she stated that as my periods have been regular to date, it can't be that, and she was more concerned about cervical cancer....so of course that sent my health anxiety in in to total overdrive!!!

I then explained to her about my increased anxiety and mild panic attacks... and the feeling of being detached, unable to sleep, she then said my anxiety was worsening and I had to see a psychologist...

So, my periods started yesterday ( 5 days early), not quite normal, they seem to be starting and stopping... but I have the usual cramps and sore back etc.., however I'm now in a state of constant anxiety as I'm convincing myself I have cervical cancer ( even although I have a pap every year and they have always been clear) and its not the menopause .... !!

Any advice please ladies!

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So, Pap back, all all clear... my periods have also started after weeks of spotting .... BUT they are so heavy with load more clots than ever.... is this'normal'... 😫

• Posted

So glad your test came back normal.

?I am going through a similar thing, with the main symptom being spotting on and off, sometimes after running or exercise. I am so scared. Just submitted my first post on here but it's awaing approval. Hope everyone is ok. This is such a stressful time. I am supposed to be on holiday but I spent my days sitting indoors and researching stuff like this. Not usually like this but I'm getting really depressed and scared sad 

• Posted

Hi,

Ohh I feel your pain, I still get so uptight thinking about it andwhat it might still be!

Strange you should mention exercise as I started noticing it after I'd been to the gym, to the extent that whenever I'd do my sit-ups the spotting it definitely worse later on.

My periods are now finished but the spotting continues... 😞, please don't stress... although I am a total stress head!

Xxx

• Posted

If you Google spotting after running or exercise you will come across loads of results. Still scary though.

I went for a 5km run last night with my girlfriends and they all wanted to go longer. So did I but all I kept thinking about was the spotting coming back. I was fine when I got home, such a relief. I hate how this is now affecting my life. Exercise makes me happy and helps me keep the weight off but i am scared to go on case I start spotting again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.