MENOPAUSE...DO I REALLY NEED HORMONES???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I am 48 and had a TOTAL hysterectomy back in 2012. They removed everything, I have nothing left due to heavy periods causing severe anemia, endometriosis, etc. My ovaries were "chocolate" meaning they were very diseased. I feel so much better now with no periods. Post surgery, my OBYN gave me samples of HRT cream/patches because I was to enter menopause instantly...and I took them home with me and even used them for a few days...until I began reading side effects. I quit taking ASAP. My question is...I have not taken ANY hormones of any sort (HRT or bio identical). I have a face flash occasionally and noticed that my hair has gotten a just bit thinner. Do i NEED to begin taking estrogen/progestorone...both or what? I do not want synthetic HRT but would appreciate some advisement. I inquired about BIO IDENTICALS but they are SO expensive. I have not been tested because when i asked my OBGYN if i should get tested, they told me that my levels are going to be low because all has been removed.

Should I just keep on not taking anything? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Mary 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, I think you should take the HRT , the scares of HRT have changed now. I take HRT & will not come off it until I really have too! I suffered for only a year & tried evrything natural, which helped but didnt last, after a few weeks all my symtons came rushing back but not with HRT!
  • Posted

hi mary,

its been so many years for you without needing hrt so why now for just the 2 symptoms you mention ? things wont get worse for you ...you sound so confident ....so many of us are in a worse mess.

• Posted

Thanks, you do have a point...and I know that many have it much worse than myself. I just have been uncertain as to what to do. I didnt know if my body NEEDS hormones. Just been a bit confused on this whole thing. I would rather not take anything...lol.
    • Posted

Hormones generally are what makes us feel well, and if an imbalance occurs we know because it makes us feel unwell, and this is why people when they get older suffer with illnesses its as a result of being down on certain hormones, so, yes we do need them in our body, you couldnt survive physically or, mentally without them, however, not all women lose amounts after becoming post to warrant needing to take in extra, but a lot do, its really down to how your feeling generally, if you feel you could do with something to make you feel better then, consider HRT, but dont take it if you feel its not necessary because of the risks involved in taking drugs of this type, drs wouldnt give it to you if it wasnt necessary anyway, and he wouldnt advise you to take alternatives either if he felt you didnt need it, some women are lucky in that way that they dont need it, and only you can answer that, you know your body best and how the menopause is making you feel!
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

I think if you don't have a uterus you don't need Progesterone as it is used to prevent build up of lining.

I don't know where you are. I'm in UK and get a bio identical one on NHS.

I think from what I've seen they like women who have hysterectomy to use HRT until you are at an age where you would have had natural menopause.

I'm not 100% about this as I have not had the op.

I have just read loads online during my research into HRT and found some useful information from some ladies who have had hysterectomies.

• Posted

Thanks for the info, I am in the United States.
    • Posted

Hi Mary, I'm the same as you I had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago leaving one ovary and had an oophorectomy two and a half years ago so like you I have nothing left. I have been having a hell of a time and feel lousy most of the time but can't have HRT due to migraines - so I wish you well in whatever you decide to do hormone wise, some of us suffer more than others so at the end of the day it's your decision , maybe see your doctor again for advice but if you're doing ok then I would stay as you are. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks Lou! Good to know there are others in the same boat as me...lol. yeah, the only problem with seeing doc is that she wants to give me synthetic hormones HRT and i am not touching those things. I think (for now) I will just stay on my own. If i need to do something in the future, I will cross that bridge then. Thanks again.

• Posted

Bless your heart - try not to worry too much, if you are dealing with things fairly well then I say ' if it's not broken don't fix it '.........I myself have terrible anxiety and health anxiety, but lots of other things have happened to me which amplify things and I can't put it all down to surgical menopause, but like I say it can be absoloute hell for some and not quite as bad for others, I'm not sure if it wasn't for the migraines that I would take HRT, I'm scared of it and would be more frightened of what might happen if I take it, but then I'm a massive worrier anyway. Use your instincts they're usually right. Take good care x
  • Posted

I think you really need hrt mary. The new research indicates that it's not as bad as what we were led to believe.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, I will keep options open. Trying to weigh everything out right now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.