Menopause - emotional wreck

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies, I'm 48 and no period for around 8 months now. Struggling with emotions being all over the place. Last three weeks, I'm over reacting to everything at work and home. Feelings of impending doom, catastrophising and certain someone's going to die or something bad will happen. Anxious about all these intrusive thoughts. I'm not someone who ever had anxiety or panic attacs or any mental health issues. I have however had bad PMS before. Been thinking about changing job, going bacl to uni, fighting the urge to make a massive change just to get rid of these symptoms but know it's not the answer. Keep thinking job stressing me, in fact everythings stressing me ang again I'm a pretty unflappable person normally. Eat a good diet, not overweight.  Plan to start excercise routine as been off that following core surgery, don't think its helpful not excercising. Can't bear the thought of CBT talking therapy or going on anti depressants.  Apart from excercise - any ideas? Thanks ladies, I feel sure I'm not alone. Wendy

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am still menstruating and for the past few moths I have the same thing. Constant urges to kill myself because I cant cope with anything. Constant urge to run away, to change as if this could help ease the anxiety. Horrible depression, few hours of sleep a night only, afraid to be and sleep by myself. Feeling of dread and a catastrophy coming. Feeling as if I wont be able to bring up my teen daughter. early morning panic attacks and burning. how long have you had these symptoms?

• Posted

Hi Anetta, i know how you feel!! I completely sympathise with you. I didnt do too bad to start with on my hrt but then it was changed and I have had a horrendous month . I haven't been this bad for a few months but now I could run away, cry, scream and even the unthinkable has gone through my head again but I keep trying to tell myself it's just hormones and it will do 1 very soon, the sooner the better 😠😠lol

I'm struggling with my son, work and just every day life, everything is a mountain.

Fingers crossed this will end soon for all of us fab ladies.

Think of you xxx

• Posted

Youre not alone Wendy. 14 months since last period. Had increasing anxiety over past 18 months, palpitations, panic attacks, morphed into looping panic disorder over xmas. Like you, no history of anxiety or depression. Betablockers have stopped full on panic attacks, im on sertraline AD for anxiety tho it takes time to work and on HRT patch, which may be making palps worse. What you are going through is menopause hormone related. Ive been telling my docs this for the last year n theyd just hand me a lets talk leaflet! Had to wait over a year before theyd test my hormones, by which time im in full panic disorder, agoraphobia, health anxiety. Hope you are able to get help sooner. I tried various herbal things thinking i could tackle it naturally...didnt work for me. Palpitations is my biggest problem cos it causes me the most fear/anxiety. You are not alone, this seems to be so common yet so life changing and debilitating.
  • Posted

Hi Wendy the feelings you describe sound so familiar - i have found a meditation app i do for 10 mins in the morning which over the months seems to have made a difference to my thinking - i dont think im allowed to put a link to it but there are loads out there - my second suggestion is walking to work or a 30 mins walk at lunch time - having re-read i realise it sounds too simplistic for words but it mostly works for me - hope this helps! Good luck in yr quest x
  • Posted

Thank you ladies I've just had the intense symptoms for about a month. Probably had them to some extent for months but they've become more obvious and prolonged now. My twins are just 8 so not always easy to get an exercise regime going but think it's imperative I do it. Thank you I'll try the meditation, we do mindfulness teaching at work so I have no excuse. I've ordered some herbal remedies and maybe these three things together will help. Bottle of wine might have equally good effect! You've got to try and laugh but really it's quite devastating when it's at it's worst.thank you all x

• Posted

Hi WB!

I have had all the feelings you describe. The over-reactivity at work, the feeling that I am going to die and I can't get a medical professional to care, the inability to focus at home or at work.  You are not alone.

I have done what Julia Cameron calls 'morning pages'. You write 3 pages longhand of everything that is cluttering your brain. You just put pen to paper and goe to--a full free association of everything. The pages do not have make sense or form a coherent narrative. It's just getting rid of the pain. I do it whenever the noise in my head gets so overwhelming I can't bear being myself. It actually does not have to be in the morning. Often I do them before bed to try to quiet my brain. 

Some people save their pages and keep a journal. I find shredding them and saying "take that crippling anxiety!" helps me way more. 

It takes a solid 25 minutes or so--and with 8 year olds I understand how you might not have the time! But it has worked for me way better than in -office therapy. 

• Posted

Hi maddysmom, this sounds like a very good idea! There's definitely something about getting it all down and then throwing it away! I'm so opinionated and militant about everything in the news and I know its symptomatic of what's going on with hormones. It'd be useful to have such a strategy to get rid of some of that emotion. Especially so it doesn't spill into work and make me sound like some kind of militant on tiny issues! Thank you very much for the suggestion! Hugs x

• Posted

Hi there - you sound just like me!  I'd seriously consider HRT.  I have quite a bit of worry over the course of my adult life and now at the age of 47 feel I need some support from medication.  You need to speak with your doctor, a good doctor, preferably female who will be able to help you.  I am on Femoston 10mg which is a combine HRT meaning I still get periods.  I did try another HRT but I felt it didn't suit me so I came off it and had a short spell where I didn't take HRT.  Worst idea ever as I ended up very anxious, aches and painful joint so decided quite recently to try Femoston.  So far I feel a lot better but I do also take mild antidepressant which takes some of the extra anxiety away from day to day living.

Good luck with your pursuits.

• Posted

Hi Morri, I was going to post about femeston answer do try and find out how people have got on with?

I was on Elleste duo but my consultant changed it as he wasn't happy and I did start to feel like it was less effective even after 3-4 months on it. I've just gone on to.my second month of femeston and feel like crap. Yes my period didn't last as long but my emotional state of mind is horrendous

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.