Menopause - facial hair

Posted , 7 users are following.

Any advice welcome. Since the onset of the Menopuase I am getting the fine hair on my face.......yuk. It is now at the point that i have a beard and it is becoming prominent under my chin too. I am not on HRT and as I am fair haired I cannot find anywhere that would laser them. I feel bad enough going through the menopause as it is with the ususal, night sweats, weigh gain, mood swings and everything else that makes you feel rubbish. Somehow I can cope with all that but not the facial hair. I get upset and the only thing I can see that will work is electrolysis, using the fine probe into the hair shaft. As the hairs is so fine and blonde I feel it will take a life time to slow this down,or get rid of it let alone the cost. I would struggle to pay for this treatment as I have read it can take yearsto destroy the hair root.  Is this normal to have so much facial  hair.  I am so unhappy trying to deal with this. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I can identify with the fine hairs but its probably only you that is really aware of it. Wait until you get the really juicy thick black ones! Lol
  • Posted

Sounds odd I guess but I have one of those little shavers and use it to shave the fuzz. No big deal and now I'm not so self conscious about it.
  • Posted

I had a little bit of facial hair all i did was shave it off it was under my chin and a little above my top lip 

All i do is just shave the hair off with a razor 

• Posted

Try electrolysis, on fine hairs it should work first time, on tougher ones you sometimes need 2 or 3 goes.  It isn't that painful either.
  • Posted

I use tweezers on the thick black ones and use facial bleach on the finer ones. Its quite depressing when your 4 yr old granddaughter asks why Im getting a hairy face like daddy!
  • Posted

I use electric shaver but not right up close to my skin. I hold shaver just a little bit away from my skin as if you shave really close up it tends to grow back thicker and coaser!  Oh the joys of menopause!
  • Posted

Hi there, Oh YES YES.  I have been having hairs on my chin area last couple of years.  Since I have been plucking them they got worse and corse-according to my electrolysis lady!  My daughter complained about my hair hurting her when I was kissing her. So I got fed up for 2 reasons and went to look for a lazer treatment.  But I was advised that electrolysi is better for it(?)  It wasn't all that fair. So fed up I was I accpeted it. Spend fortune on it. It has much much imporved and I have much less and softer hair but I cannot carry on with the treatments since it is far too expensive,  I don't know the answer.  Yes, it is painful. And yes it seems to be working but you need lots of money.  I will have my last session next week.  I will let you know what happens after stopping the treatment. Would I recommend it, I think yes if you have the money!  GOOD LUCK ladies...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.