Menopause/health anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi iv posted a couple of times and once again wonder if anyone can help/assure me.

Strange sensation in left breast several weeks ago Dr confirmed no lumps however due to my health anxiety I ended up going to a private breast consultant who again checked me over & said nothing wrong. My left breast still feels strange and this evening I have been having a sharp like pain on and off. Took hrt for 2 months then decided to stop and on citalopram 10mg. My anxiety has calmed down, I think due to the citalopram & I also tried acupuncture this week.

Thanks All

X

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Had the same symptoms. Had a mammogram done, found nothing thank God. It's all part of our hormones going wacky. The sensations are now gone. Hang in there. Just remember millions of women are going through this. Health anxiety and panic attacks seem to be at the top of the list of menopause symptoms. (((Hugs))))

• Posted

I get bad health anxiety too which actually makes the symptoms worse as you are focussing on them.
  • Posted

Do you have fibrocystic breasts? I do, and for awhile it was very painful. Had mammo, u/s, and also breast MRI because I had myself convinced I had breast cancer. I just had very bad cysts that are made worse with estrogen dominance

Have you had any tests done?

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, I had a mammo several years ago due to having cysts which were drained, at the mammo they did say I had several smaller cysts, if I remember correctly. Interesting you mention Estrogen dominance I had no breast problems prior to going on hrt elleste solo (hysterectomy 6 years ago due to large fibroid) but my ovaries were left, I went on hrt in November and started getting the strange sensation in my left breast in January so decided to come off hrt. My elder sister did mention about Estrogen dominance as she put it drs appear to treat everyone with the same dose of hrt but not one size fits all - I am 5’ 3” and my weight is 8stone 5lbs so possibly the hrt was too much for my system! I go back to the drs tomorrow as I have been off the hrt nearly 4 weeks and been on citalopram 10mg. 

• Posted

Hi Ali, 

I think you should probably get an u/s, I have to do this once a year because of the cysts. It makes sense what you are saying about the hrt. I'll bet that's what's going on. The hormone doc I saw said that I needed much more progesterone and wanted me to take 200mg oral at night along with the 100mg that was in the bio cream. So if you were estrogen dominant and they gave you more estrogen and not enough progesterone I would think fibrocysts would act up for sure. I went off bhrt, it wasn't worth worrying about side effects for me. Every now and then my breasts will get really sore, but it's usually when I start spotting mid cycle as well. 

Let me know what the doc says.

XO

• Posted

Thanks Suzanne I will see what the dr says tomorrow. I only required Estrogen as I had a hysterectomy (ovaries not removed). I do also wonder if health anxiety is a lot to do with my symptoms I had problems last Jan/Feb worrying about a pain in my right side so reckon between the hrt/menopause and health anxiety I’ve just got myself anxious.

x

• Posted

I know that they don't prescribe progesterone if you don't have a uterus, but progesterone is the first hormone to plummet, thus leaving us estrogen dominant. It would seem like women would need progesterone regardless of having a uterus. 

Also, I know that anxiety can cause all sorts of sordid issues, but I kind of doubt that would be the reason for your breast pain. I'm betting it's cysts, especially if you've had trouble with fibrocystic disease in the past. 

I kept going back and forth thinking anxiety was causing all of my issues, but then I reason with myself and say, how could that possibly cause ovarian and breast cysts? And my symptoms seem to be cyclical, so how would that go along with anxiety as well? IDK, guess a combination of all of it. 

Good luck at doc. 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, seen dr last night and explained I was still having funny sensations in my left breast she did say she thought by coming off the hrt it might have settled down - possibly has a little so I am continuing on citalopram in the hope it is just all anxiety/menopause related. I also workout, although I have stopped lifting at present, the dr checked my back and suggested as she did the first time I seen her that she thinks this is muscular and coming from my back, she pressed areas in my back and on the left was a little sore she explained large muscle goes from your back to your breast area and found my muscle on that side was tight and in a spasm. So between acupuncture, citalopram and now going for a massage hopefully I will start to feel better and get these anxious thoughts out of my head.

xx

• Posted

Ali, I can’t believe she didn’t want you to get another mammogram and an u/s. And you haven’t had a mammogram in three years? I don’t know where you live, are you US? My doc gets seriously angry if I don’t make my yearly mammo, and then she was having me do 6 month u/s’s as well. It’s been over a year since I did either, but I had to give doctors a rest, as that was my entire life last year.

But I do think it’d be wise to have some tests to make sure your breast is ok, especially an u/s because you have a history of fibro. 

I still don’t think anxiety can give you a pain in one breast.

• Posted

Hi there 

I was just about to post myself to ask if anyone has breast discomfort in their left breast (which is raising my HA through the roof) I was confirmed peri about 2 months ago but being through this for at least 2years with differing symptoms x my pain is also in my armpit and around my back been to GP and he never considered peri but said it was muscular x I’ve also had CBT in the past x hope you manage to get through this stage x

• Posted

Dear ali, please try not to worry hun. At least you had your dr check you out and they found nothing as did the private dr you saw. You need, just like me, to get a grip on your health anxiety. My dr sends me for regular tests and they all come back as normal though I could swear I'm dying of something or other. You did not give the hrt long enough to settle your hormones. My dr said you need at least 3 months worth to really get the benefits. I also take a high strength menopause vitamin, Vit B complex, Vit D, evening primrose oil high strength which is good for touchy breasts, and crushed valerian in a warm drink at night to help me sleep. I take all this ASWELL as hrt and I still suffer a number of symptoms and quite severely. I am going to persevere with them all to try and make this awful process as easy as possible, but also I have the ladies on here to talk to and be reassured by. Your hormones are playing havoc with your mind and body. But thats all it is so you must try not to panic hun, that will just make things alot worse. Always here for you! XXX

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies they do reassure me that I am not the only one going through this crap. I try not to focus on symptoms but as you all know it is not easy. I keep telling myself that both the Doctor and breast consultant gave me the all clear so get on with it and try and distract myself by keeping busy. Hopefully things will settle down soon and I will feel a normal person soon. Hugs to all. Xxx
    • Posted

Hi ali i am 2 having the breast thing and went private to get it check all ok

So now i am having spotting so health anxiety is bad at the moment xxĺ

• Posted

Hi Ali how did you find acupuncture? I too suffer with health anxiety. 
    • Posted

Hi Amanda found the acupuncture relaxing and the guy I seen was very thorough. Took my pulse in 3 different places on my right and left wrist and also on my stomach. Went over my problems and he reckoned he could help. Had 11 needles inserted in my back which were left in for around 15minutes then he worked on my wrists where he inserted 3 needles just in and out quickly. I think you have to go into these things with an open mind and I must admit it certainly seemed to calm me somewhat. He also said at the end that nothing he had picked up on suggested I had anything serious going on so that also helped.

Anything worth a try and I go back for a 1 hour session on Wednesday.

x

• Posted

Hi Ali , when you say he said there was nothing serious he could pick up on what do you mean? How would he know? i am curious? xx
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, sorry for delay in replying it suggested to me that he could tell by my pulse that nothing serious was going on - true or not I don’t know however I assume your pulse rate means something and these people are trained in this things. What I will say is it certainly relaxed me and I am going to see him again on Wednesday. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.