Menopause, indigestion & acid reflux..... the list goes on

Posted , 55 users are following.

I am about at my wits end!  Anyone else suffer from bad acid reflux?  I have been on omeprozole for a few years now, but the past 2 months have been so bad with burning upper abdominal pain which spreads under left breast and sometimes I get burning between shoulders, doc ordered urgent endoscopy which showed up nothing, so the diagnosis was non ulcer dyspepsia ( in other words indigestion)  I was prescrbed zantac to take along with the omeprozole, this seemed to help for a couple of weeks but last few days has been really bad, also my stomach looks as if  I am about to give birth to a baby elephant!  This is on top of all the anxiety/panic symptoms for which I was given mirtazapine 5 weeks ago, (menopause was only confirmed last week, even though I had suspected myself I was going through it)  I am sure those pills are making me worse, before starting them I was able to go out, now I can't even go to work (which is on my doorstep) without having 5mg diazepam, only took a 2mg tonight as don't want to get addicted and felt as if i was going to faint!  I often feel more anxious after eating, and I never have really big meals.  Can anyone else relate to any of this?  Got doc on Tues and on Jay's recommendation I'm going to ask for B6,  Have looked at red clover, black cohosh and other stuff, don't want to spend a fortune on things that might not work.  Had my B12 tested 6 months ago and that was normal as was CBC and thyroid.

Hugs xx

4 likes, 122 replies

122 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Can't even wear clothes today as anything that puts pressure on that area makes pain ten tomes worse, ie bra, trousers!  Good job I don't have to go out today!

PS  I am not sat here naked btw, I do have pjs on, haha!

• Posted

Hi cheekygal, Sounds like we have exactly the same problems!!!  My periods ended about 4 years ago, I was determined to go through it naturally, I've been able to put up with the hot sweats and sleepless nights and recently I've had the stomach problems and diarrhea but what I'm really struggling with is the anxiety, feels like I'm losing my grip on life!!!!  

Ive been taking vit B6, Soya Isoflavones and Maca powder, I exercise daily and have a healthy diet. The tiredness has improved, hot sweats reduced but the anxiety and now low mood is awful!  I'm desperate to know what to take to help as I don't want to use anti depressants.

to end on a positive note there is a couple of self help books I've read that you may find useful : Women who think too much by Dr Susan Nolen-Hoeksema  and Self Help for your Nerves By Dr Claire Weeks

• Posted

Hi Susan,

The stomach pain I have is upper abdominal due to acid reflux, nothing seems to be helping at the moment.  Yeah like you say the anxiety is my main issue also, there are so many natural remedies out there but it's knowing what will suit, as what's right for one person may not suit another.  A lady on here, Jay swears by the B6, what strength are you taking?  Not sure if we are allowed to mentioned brand names here, I took the local high street one, but maybe there are better brands.  I was agorophobic many years ago, and managed to overcome that, I even worked for a national help line and often promoted the Claire Weekes books to callers! The general anxiety never left me but never thought I would find myself in this situation again.  I had a few bad experiences with anti depressants back in the day and vowed never to try them again.  I gave in 5 weeks ago and took mirtazapine, gp said it is different from the older ones, I must say it does help me sleep (too much) and had lifted my mood but I'm not sure if it's making my anxiety worse as I quite often feel as if I am going to faint, nevet felt that before starting them, and also feel like I am plugged into something, it's like inner vibrations, then again that could be hormone related.  Magnesium is good for sleeping and many other things, i was using the transdermal stuff which doesn't give the laxitive effect but again unsure if that was making me worse, gp and online research says it's doubtful.  I guess we will just have to try things to see what works for us.  xx

• Posted

Hi, cheekygal.. life is hard indeed. I can relate to much of what you write about, altho I am 63 next week. The anxiety is the worst, the fear that something awful will happen or you cant cope with things. I do meditation to help this. Also I mess around with the tin whistle or my keyboard to distract me from focusing on my health. Its not easy, but what is the alternative? Give up? Jayneejay introduced me to supplements and they really do help. You will have to choose carefully if cash is limited, but Multivitamin or B vits, good starting point. Diazepam may help short term, as do really good herbal teas with valerian, passionflower, etc, they are easily available, not expensive. I got addicted to diazepam when I was about 30, and it was bad, so be careful. Eat all the right foods and this will help, fruit, veg, nuts, try natural yoghurt-not good for everyone, porridge, water-lots of it. There is so much advice on food available, and it is really important to eat right, altho we all need treats, and I still like glass of wine and find it relaxing, some people would disagree with this! Processed stuff is so harmful, and could cause your bloatedness. Its a case of trial and error too. Like I cant eat seeds but nuts are ok. Wheat is really bad too, I eat hovis wholemeal small loaf. Cant eat apples, pears great. I have IBS and Diverticulitis and gastritis (on and off) but choosing food carefully has really helped. If your problem persists however in spite of taking care, do go back to your doctor. Wishing you well. Hope I havent rambled too much smile
    • Posted

Hi Anne

I agree that food plays a big part in how we feel, must admit though I am not a big veg fan nor porridge, but I do like those new mcvities breakfast biscuits wite porridge oats, they are also a good source of vit b & D, I have activia yogurts too, and eat a bit of chicken, but I found that salmon makes my acid reflux a lot worse.  I like that warburtons 5 seed small loaf and peanut butter.  Sadly my downfall is chocolate, will really have to try cut back on that.  I am going to ask Gp about B6 on tuesday, last time I took B complex I got bladder pain, will look for another brand maybe.  xx

• Posted

HI, like you I also have gastritis which seems to cause lots of the other symptoms you mentioned.  When did your menopause start? How long do you think it will last ?
  • Posted

Hiya, I think Its really worth trying to get used to veg and cereal. Not sure what the Ingredients are in those biscuits, but I bet theres sugar and you always want more and they wont keep you satisfied as long as a bowl of good cereal will. Plus a vitamin pill. My partner loved lots of bread, fries, cakes etc, but now can enjoy a meal of just protein and veg, and there is such a variety of them. I agree salmon may not be helpful unfortunately but theres other fish. Could you maybe try swopping to dark choc and nibble a square each day. I buy Tesco 85%, its only £1 for 100gm. Believe me if it makes a difference to how you feel it will be worth it. I would love to eat a big box of chocolates, melted cheese on toast.....I could go on, but my body feels better without it.
  • Posted

I think I have been lucky, judging by some of the horror stories I hear from other women as they go from peri menopause to full menopause. I'm 55, on low dose HRT and can't really say I am having much trouble with the passage into menopause with one exception - digestion. Like you I get horrible reflux, tummy bloat, belching, gas (real lady-like...not). I tend to be fine for a few weeks, then I have any where from a couple of days to a week of constant problems. Ranitidine helps and I have an Rx for Lansoprazole which I take prn. I haven't had much luck with dietary supplements, but I do know to keep spicy or fatty foods, alcohol and (sob!) chocolate to a minimum because they only make matters worse. I was interested in the comment about the "plum stone in the throat", which is exactly what reflux feels like, being connectd to hormonal imbalance. I take some comfort from that because it isn't going to go on for the rest of my life.....I hope! Good luck girls and remember, one day we will look back on it and laugh. Maybe. Or not ....
    • Posted

Hi I know this is an old post but I am very interested in your experiences.  Exactly like you I never noticed any menopause (strangely) but have been suffering from debilitating gastritis and dyspepsia symptoms.  Do you still experience these digestive symptoms ?  
  • Posted

I get pain under my left armpit when I eat and been told its indigestion. If I don't have breakfast and rushing I get it too it's so awful and scares me when it happens.  Drs don't seem concerned but freaks me out
    • Posted

I sometimes get it under my left arm to,  while I agree it's scary It's also easy to over analyse to, try not to worry, as i'm pretty sure it is indigestion, yet another horrid symtom of peri. xx
    • Posted

Thank you :-) have to say I'm more tired too yet wake up during the night which is frustrating.  I'm trying not to over analyse like you say. 
  • Posted

We are what we eat as the saying goes. I've found paying more attention to what I eat and omit, to be crucial to so many health problems. Plenty greens, cooked (just enough to kill unwanted bacteria); carrots, tomatoes, salads, many other vegetables (experiment with taste); wide range of non-acdic fruits; berries are good, particularly blueberries; whole grains;soya (non-GM, if you can find it), eat as much vegetarian protein as you can cope with; otherwise, chicken breast and a range of different fish is more advisable than red meat. Given acid is already in situ, seasoning and oily foods are definitely unadvisable. Try cooking with fresh herbs (in moderation) such as thyme, corriander, basil, sage, rosemary etc, (but just enough to taste)> Be careful of salad dressings with various seasonings. Drink lots of milk and soothing fruit drinks such as Ribena; drink as much water as you can cope with; for example, 8 pints daily is advisable but not everyone can cope with this. Check side-effects of all medications prescribed and use your initiative. One thing you need to guard against is being prescribed more medication for a problem which is simply a side-effect of current meds your taking.Finally, remember the advise of a doctor writing on the internet; the medical profession would not be so rich if people eat healthly. Good luck with righting the problem. Sylvia
  • Posted

I have been experiencing acid reflu and indegestion  the last week or so. I suffered with it for years and realised I had a wheat intolerance, so I stopped the wheat and started having a lemon and ginger tea first thing in the morning and everything was fine until just recently. Just before Christmas I had really bad pain in my tummy just under my breast bone, in my right side of my chest and between my shoulder blades. I had a ecg, chest ex ray and a scan of my gall bladder and all was clear. My dr said I could have had a small gall stone which I passed! That seemed to dissapear as fast as it came, until last week. Does anyone else suffer with period pains, without the period as this is another thing I experience while having an IBS flare up and reflux. I was also diagnosed with ME and fibromyalgia last year too. I have managed to control the hot flushes those though. sage tablets and meno pace vitamin  Supliments. My mood does seem to be getting lower and energy zero dreaming loads, so Dr said to go on antidepressants, but I'm not keen on taking them. I feel for you and hope we will all get through this as quick as possible. Hugs x
    • Posted

hi there,

just thought I would mention that I have responded to cheeky gal and forgot to mention that like you i had suspected gall bladder issues- scan came back clear, I thought it was my menopause and told I may have cfs, fibromyalgea, givenant depressant which I didn't take. Now 3 years later Vit D deficiency dagnose dand missed by previous drs. 

• Posted

Hiya I read yor post "Just before Christmas I had really bad pain in my tummy just under my breast bone, in my right side of my chest and between my shoulder blades" and just had to write to you as I have been having these same feelings! I have been so anxious about it and am terrified its something awful. I have been checked by severla doctors (but not had any tests or anything) and they are quite happy all is well but I seemto get it most fo the time now and its constantly on my mind.

i am goign to acupuncture which has helped but it does feel like lumpy throat and then this constant uncomfortable niggles in the same areas you  said.

MAybe I should ask for an ultrasound or something? I can't stop worrying about it -which I know makes things worse, but I just can't stop worrying. It wakes me at night sometimes and I feel l ike I have a small balloon or something stuck below my breast bone or like I am starving hungry!! When I burp it eases but it stays most of the time. Grrr just need peac eof mind really. I have another appointment at Docs in 2 weeks to check again.

Any other advice you can offer to relieve this would be much appreicated - many thanks Hun :-)

• Posted

Hi Louise. I am not too sure what it could be but when you say you burp and it relievers your symptoms that sounds as though it could be reflux. It can cause tummy pains and chest pain. I have read up on it so many times and it's amazing how many symptoms it can give you.

I even have a slight problem with breathing at times which is also caused by this. But asmittingly if you are worrying this can cause other symptoms and make them worse.

I had like period pains without period as somebody else mentioned and I pushed for investigation as I kept being fobbed off. After a laparoscopy it turned out I had bowel adhesions! So what I'm trying to say is please try not to worry. I worried it was more sinister and was shocked when I was told that.

I also think pre menopausal has a lot to do with these type of problems but doctors never seem to know or bother investigating them.

Wait until u see your doctor who hopefully can reassure you. Let me know how it goes. Try to relax if u can. I know it's hard but thse forums can be really helpful in the meantime smile x

• Posted

Hi lisa thank you so much for your reply, kind words and reassurance! You have realy helped me. I agree these forums are a great support from lrher women who really KNOW how each other feel. It is such an anxious time isnt it?!! The mood swings are immense too. Sometimes i think ive cracked it and it all goes well but within minutes Everything can change and I end up in tears in my room wondering if i can get through the day!

I will let you know how i get on at the docs. I have a few things im gonna try i.e no eating after 8pm and replacing tea with ginger based drinks and see how it goes.

Im hoping to sleep better tonight as your support had really helped today so thankyou so much.

Hope you are feeling ok and things are improving for you? We can get through it eh? Take care hun and chat soon Lou x

• Posted

Hi Louise. No problem. I know how it feels. Have been on this forum many times with different things. I've read that manuka honey is great for reflux. I looked at it in the supermarket and it was anything between £10-15! I'm sure u could get it cheaper tho. I have also ensuites on Vogel website as they have lots of natural remedies smile

I saw doxtor yesterday and again gave me PPIs. So I'll take this last prescription and if there's no different I will insist on further investigation.

Ginger is good so worth a try. If u can try eating bland food until u see the doctor see if that helps smile

Good luck and hope it all goes well xx

• Posted

Hi Louise. I don't know if this helps but I went on to the Vogel website questionnaire and asked about natural remedies for acid reflux. There is something u can bug on that website called digestisan which they advised me to take. I may give throat a go with the PPIs and then hopefully can wean myself off them using it smile x
    • Posted

Hi lisa ooo OK i'll take a look thank you! My disgestion is more like painful trapped wind if you know what i mean? I have recently noticed a change after eating like food based indigestion so ill look up your suggestion and give it a go before it gets worse.

Let me know how u get on hun and ill let you know too. Ghanks hun hope you have a good weekend and feel better xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.