Menopause, indigestion & acid reflux..... the list goes on

Posted , 55 users are following.

I am about at my wits end!  Anyone else suffer from bad acid reflux?  I have been on omeprozole for a few years now, but the past 2 months have been so bad with burning upper abdominal pain which spreads under left breast and sometimes I get burning between shoulders, doc ordered urgent endoscopy which showed up nothing, so the diagnosis was non ulcer dyspepsia ( in other words indigestion)  I was prescrbed zantac to take along with the omeprozole, this seemed to help for a couple of weeks but last few days has been really bad, also my stomach looks as if  I am about to give birth to a baby elephant!  This is on top of all the anxiety/panic symptoms for which I was given mirtazapine 5 weeks ago, (menopause was only confirmed last week, even though I had suspected myself I was going through it)  I am sure those pills are making me worse, before starting them I was able to go out, now I can't even go to work (which is on my doorstep) without having 5mg diazepam, only took a 2mg tonight as don't want to get addicted and felt as if i was going to faint!  I often feel more anxious after eating, and I never have really big meals.  Can anyone else relate to any of this?  Got doc on Tues and on Jay's recommendation I'm going to ask for B6,  Have looked at red clover, black cohosh and other stuff, don't want to spend a fortune on things that might not work.  Had my B12 tested 6 months ago and that was normal as was CBC and thyroid.

Hugs xx

4 likes, 122 replies

122 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been about to go out of my mine I started menopause in April my reflux flared up my doctor put me on proteomic along

With the zantac I'm on after a week no relief and I start to have muscle spans so she took me off protonix because that was causing the spans. She sent me to ENT and GI. The ENT doctor said my reflux had flared up from menopause and keep my appointment with GI, My throat was sore I was in pain and it felt like I had cold in my throat I couldn't get out sad I went to see GI he ordered endoscopy and colonoscopy everything came back fine he did find a small hiatal hernia shock is causing me to have all these problems I can't eat much at all. I have lost over 20 pounds I now have to take a couple different bras to work to Change in my stomach fell bloated all the time . I have problems with chest back and breast I'm so tried of this oh yea my doctor had to give me something for anxiety it's really bad because of this

• Posted

Dear sebrina,

I can relate to you here, i have a small hiatas hernia and in peri reflux caused me to have gastitis. It was a horrible time, i lost quite abit of weight and was on omeprezole for a while but had to switch to zantac as the omeprezole caused alot of gas and discomfort in the stomach. It tooks weeks before it cleared up and i could eat and drink normally again!

• Posted

Dear Sebring

I know this is an old post.  I have exactly those symptoms you describe.  And I’m also unable to eat.  Did you get better ?  And if yes how long did it take? I would really be grateful if you would reply to this...

• Posted

Sorry predictive text .  I meant Sebrina 
  • Posted

I also have acid reflux and taking omeprazole for over a year now. everytime i take omeprazole it also gives me diarrhea. having acid reflux is the worst feeling, plus i had to eliminate coffee and chocolates.
  • Posted

Hi cheeky gal gosh I can defo relate to your symptoms. I know this seems a daft question but does anyone think that reflux is connected to anxiety? I've had the most awful panic attack symptoms and feels as tho I can't breath! Hence would this be due to the reflux 🤔 I get awful pain in my breasts to but put this down to anxiety maybe. I have a sore throat occasionally. At times it's been persistent but like yourself pain in the upper abdomen. I know they say cut out chocolate caffeine onion garlic and tomatoes all of which I have rarely and certainly not in large amounts. That's why I don't feel this is all related to food. I too was diagnosed with non ulcer dyspepsia few years ago. Been on and off PPIs off at the moment thank god. Hate relying on them but my flare ups tend to come on with anxiety sad going to doc next week to try and get it sorted once and for all. I know you posted this a long one ago but would be really interest as to where you are with it all now? 🤔 I hope it's got better for u.
  • Posted

Hi I get Acid reflux when I eat little or wrong things, it's not to bad but sometimes when I have it goes to my throat, I'm Laprazole as well only take when needed, I don't know wha to take I can't afford to waste money on things myself that don't work, I take flaxseeds but run out a while ago going back eating them in my breakfast very nutritional stuff some people get relief from hot flashes eating them.
  • Posted

Hi the first thing you need to do is not see any more doctors it will only make your anxiety worse.  Believe me I ended up in hospital twice only to have a heap of tests that just about made me completely bonkers they find nothing, it was all perimenopause.  I spent six months with nausea so bad I could not get out of bed.  Bloating gas reflux is all part of the journey.  Some people sail through with hardly any symptoms others like us suffer.  Unfortunately the medicos are not that great with the whole ordeal and have to rule out all other possibilities and even then are hard pressed to say that it is part of perimenopause.  I am in menopause now and have hot flushes and the bloated reflux comes and goes sometimes I will be free for three months then it will flare up again.  Best advice have half a valium when you are really bad I do I am not addicted as I only have them say 2.5mg once a month.  Exercise regularly lots of omega 3 foods camomile tea lemon and ginger tea.  Lots of greens and focus on a hobby of some kind.  It will pass eventually.  Good luck and no you are not going mad.

cheers

Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane. It was good to read your response to cheeky gal. I've suffered with reflux in and off for 2 years. Especially of late after I eat, I almost feel as though I'm ballooning and my bra presses on my upper abdomen 😳 I don't think it's any particular food in general which starts it off but one thing I suffer a lot with which I've not known anyone else have is I feel my breathing is restricted at times and get a very dry throat. Doctors just said I'm anxious and put me on ppi's. Do u really think this could b peri as my periods are still pretty much same. I'm 46 just 🤔
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

At 46 you could possibly be entering peri menopause the average age of menopause being 51 this phase can last up to five years before your period actually stops

I assume that doctors have taken blood tests to rule out other causes especially ovarian cancer not trying to scare you it's just that has similar symtoms etc keep a diary of your symptoms and especially when you have good days because then when it's bad you can look back and remember there will be good days ahead and remember exercise helps and peppermint tea and a apple a day

Cheers Jane

• Posted

Do you mean the breathing being symptomatic? I also get aches and pains in arms and legs. I don't get much pelvic pain unless it's around menstural time. I had pelvic pain cpl years ago and that said fluid in one of my tubes but when I had laparoscopic procedure it was ok and ended up having bowel adhesions removed! I'm due to have an endoscopy and seeing respiratory to rule out further problems. Haven't had bloods taken recently but a lot in the past which haven't showed anything. I do tend to get stressed easily so it's all bit of a mind field really 🙀
    • Posted

Lisa

I am not a doctor but the breathing can be a symptom but sounds like an anxiety problem to me it's a matter of focus and that's when you need to give yourself a break from all these ailments like try and focus on something serene and pleasurable hard I know but if you have a doctor you trust and can talk to just have a blood test to rule out anything suss I guarantee it's all hormonal related

I hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I think I will Jane. Once I've had these tests done at least that is something ruled out. Then I can ask for bloods again then if continues.

Thank you smile

• Posted

Hi Jane, 

I have all the symptoms you were describing.  I never thought that they could be menopausal symptoms.   Do you still have those symptoms today?  If not how long did those symptoms last ?  Months ? Years ?  I know this was posted 2 years ago but maybe you see my post and could answer .

• Posted

HI there,

Firts time using this forum, but wondering if anyone out there can help or is going through the same.. Im going through meanpause at the moment and a couple of months ago I felt a lump in my throat as if something were stuck and I needed to cough up. Bloods all came back fine as did the camera up nose and down into throat. Which I was happy abou but still cant get rid of this feeling in my throat, sometimes lump feels less but neck feels full and swollen even though when I look in mirror nothing there looks any different.... Could this be due to hormonal changes or acid reflux?

Thanks x

• Posted

Yes the lump feeling in your throat can be acid reflux. Also from experience it can be brought on through anxiety as well. If you are worrying about health problems at the moment this could also be a symptom. If you google feeling of lump in throat it will discuss the causes in more detail smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.