menopause insomnia

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi ladies have been reading your comments with interest. I'm still knocked side ways with this severe insomnia. My most debilitating symptom as the rest seem to settle down and danger of losing my job at the moment. So looking for some advice any tips so far that we haven't discussed? i've ordered some dhea today to see how this helps... anybody else have any experience of that here? Thanks in advance and i hope that today is a good day for you mine not so good awake most of night if it not all night an all too common occurrence for me.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I totally sympathise with you!  I've also had problems staying asleep!  What helped me was meditation, I took it up to help with stress and anxiety but have found that the exercises have helped me get back to sleep when I wake it the early hours. I stared through a couple of smart phone apps, the first is Headspace and also Mindfulness Daily, when I wake I practice my breathing, relax and sleep,again.  Hope you find this helpfull. 
    • Posted

the weird thing is i actually feel quite calm when i wake up like i'm almost going to drop off but never do. I was monitored by a sleep clinic who said i have onset and sleep maintenance insomnia. when i'm running low on sleep and it keeps happening though i do get anxious and upset. I tried the smartphone apps as well they do take your mind off things. I'm glad that that's working for you though. Once i find something helpful for me i will try and share it on here. Useful discussion as well sharing anything that have tried and not successful. Over years i've tried most things period i was wandering if anyone have tried tht a question mark
    • Posted

oops i hit reply before i'd finished was wondering specificallyif anyone here had tried dhea?
  • Posted

I've had the problem of not staying asleep, first I was only getting between 2 or 3hours sleep.  This was in March,April and May of its year. (By the way I'm 50 in October) My Dr has agreed I am peri menopausal.  Since then I have suffered, irregular periods, health anxiety, dry mouth, right abdominal/ muscle discomfort,the list goes on....however, since prescribed low dose Fluoxetine 20mg once daily and Elleste duet 1mg and 3 months on with better diet including linseed and 1.5 to 2 litres water, Pilates, meditation, massage and music lessons I have progressed slowly to 4-5 hours and now 6 to even 7 hours sleep.  I feel great most days, although have the occasional set back of health anxiety...but when nothing else happens I relax.  Feel a it like an adult child!  If there's such a thing!!  I've heard almonds, almond milk can help sleep due to the magnesium.  Please be patient, it takes a while to find your way through this winding menopause journey...you'll make it..just keep on going smile hope all  this will give you and any other some comfort x
  • Posted

Hello sorry to hear insomnia nightmare! 😞, I've had it for years, my doctor originally gave me zopiclone I didn't realise how addictive they were!. Your only supposed to be on them for a few weeks, 7 years later I was still taking them! Awful addictive medication these are so please don't go down that route. I researched about melatonin and it's great wonderous work I got some and they are very good. You can't buy them in shops in the United Kingdom but your doctor could prescribe them or you can buy them on a site cooed Biovea. Also I take calcium and magnesium with my tea they are good for relaxing you. Ime 100% menopausal so this has caused insomnia! my doctor said I was to young last year at 45, but he's a bloody waste of time!(sorry all you fantastic doctors out there) but mine defiantly isn't one if them. I hope this helps and good luck 😊
  • Posted

I so get what you are going through ,i am the same way so tired but cant sleep,hot flahes,chills feellike i am losing my mind
    • Posted

my hot flushes have stopped mostly now. Have you looked at some of the vitamins the ladies suggest on here it may help you. Reduced some of my symptoms just not the insomnia.
  • Posted

Just wanted to update you all that I started my Holy Basil after the other herbs seem to have more of a stimulating effect. It was great and even though I felt buzzed before bed (a bad sign for me) it settled me right down (if you have excess progesterone it converts to cortisol and keeps you up and this is a cortisol settler) and I slept ALL night (I woke up but went right back to sleep not possible really before). I've researched more as it was so helpful and such an answer to prayer and it seems that it can be used in the long term with no side effects. So I wanted to share. I know we are all different so it may not suit everyone but it's low cost and has helped me so far. Worth a try, God bless xx
    • Posted

Hi.

I have high cortisol at three points. Can you tell me the make of your holy basil and where to get it from

I am in UK

Many thanks

• Posted

Also it's good for respiratory infections etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.