Menopause oh no!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just learned about bioidentical HRT. Anyone willing to share stories, good, bad or ugly greatly appreciated

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I find most women can discontinue use of BHRT once they really balance their hormones using Femmenessence.   Some do remain on low doses depending on their specific needs.  If you are going to use hormones, BHRT is the better option over HRT.   But I prefer all natural! ; )
    • Posted

I definitely want to go the most natural route. Have u used them? Are they safe?
    • Posted

Finally someone talking about Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy! I had posted months back about it but no replies. Im 46. Found out in Nov of 2014 im beginning menopause. Had gone 4 mnths no periods when I had my FSH tested. It was 111. So the big decision. Oh an I live in US. No insurance either. Husband is self employed so insurance would be more than our house payment! Anyway I also was having depression an anxiety an heart palpitations. So had hormones checked via saliva an showed very low progesterone an low estrogen. Testosterone was ok. So went to a compounding pharmacist an had my own rx made vaginal suppositories. Took them everyday but in March of this yr kept forgetting to take them an probably all combined missed a mnth n half. On exactly my 12th mnth of no periods, had a full blown period! Cramps, bled for 6 days. My pharmacist said it was a chemically induced period. Freaked me out. Ya know uterine cancer! So waited till stopped bleeding an started again. Forgot couple again. 21 days later bled again but less than previous an only 3 days. So now I haven't forgotten a suppository an no bleeding in 31 days. If I bleed again I will be going to Ob/Gyn. It's 52$ a mnth for mine. I get 40mg progesterone,0.2 estriol an 0.05 of estradiol. Hope this helps. Oh an on a antidepressant also rt now.
    • Posted

Wow that's alot of info, thanks. Well let me begin by saying I turned 52 this year and the s--t hit the fan. Heart palpitations, hot flashes, high Blood pressure and high cholesterol! My PCP put me on blood pressure meds and a statin which I did not want to take but I have family h/o cardiac issues, paternal side. I went to a local OBGYN today for a little Botox 1st time because I am in a menopausal crisis! He specializes in b
    • Posted

BHRT which I had never heard of. Everything he told me rang true. It sounds wonderful but I am hesitant because I don't know much about it. Ins will not pay so I will be paying out of pocket. What is a compound pharmacist? Doesn't your MD have to prescribe the meds? Are there any side effects? Is it safe?
    • Posted

Yes, I use it and I Use it in clinical practice.

Completely safe.  Of course you should always let your Dr. know what you are taking, but it can be taken with medications, sometimes with slight modifications in the timing or dosing.  

• Posted

Compounding Pharmacy's actually make there own rx's an also get fr pharmaceutical companies to. After I did my saliva test (spit into a test tube first thing in the morning before eating or drinking) $135, the compounding pharmacist wrote down what exactly would be put into the vaginal suppository (u can also get cream to rub into wrist area. I didnt want that) according to results fr my saliva test showing I was real low on progesterone an low on estrogen. I had my own personal suppository made just for me an with what Im low on. The only sideeffects I have with suppository is a little itching down there an I take them at night so no drainagesince not standing up. They melt into your tissue. This route avoids the liver unlike the synthetic one size fits all pills. My palpitations went away after a month. I did notice if I missed alot they came back. Also I started bleeding,as you read on other post, cause I missed way to much but that may be just me. So I took the recommendation for what to put in my suppository to my Ob/Gyn an he wrote rx. Your Dr has to be on board with Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. Some arnt. It wouldn't hurt to seek out a compounding pharmacy an ask if they do this an ask for a saliva kit. There will be instructions given on test. Call your Ob/gyn or even your M.D. an explain you think Bio-identical is something you want to try first. More natural approach. Hope this helps. I put on last post how much mine are every mnth.
  • Posted

Hi Shelly

I believe i am perimenopausal. I went to see a hormone doc and he did a full blood test and a saliva test. I have almost no progesterone and so im estrogen dominant! He also believes i have an underactive thyroid. I have been taking BHRT for about 3 weeks now and ive been taking Armour (dessicated thyroid) for 1 week now.

Just before i started the BHRT i had a very heavy period which lasted 15 days. Upto then id always had reg periods that lasted 3/4 days. I ended up having to have an iron infusion. I then had another period about 1 1/2 weeks later and now ive had another 13 days after the last? What is going on??? Is this the perimenapause or the BHRT causing this? I just cant afford to bleed this much due to my anemia.

Plus im feeling sooooo bloody irritable and angry. Im biting everyones head off at home. Im a nightmare to live with? Has anyone experienced this after just starting BHRT? Does it get better once the hormones have balanced themselves? I have lived with chronic reflux for 3 years and stress is the number one trigger. I cant go on feeling this angry!!!!!

Thanks dominique

• Posted

Hi. I'm not sure about the bleeding because I had an ablasion 5 years ago so I don't get periods. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to the hormones. I too had an underactive thyroid and take Nature Thyroid. All of my symptoms are gone and I feel wonderful!! I definitely know when it time to have the pellets implanted because my symptoms

Return. I get the pellets every three months and have been on the almost a year. It has been a life changer for me! I was very low in estrogen and progesterone. The pellets are estrogen and testosterone and I take a progesterone pill at nite. If u don't feel better soon I would discuss with your physician. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Shelly

Thanks for your reply. Im due to see the hormone doc next week so i will talk to him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.