Menopause (Peri) or Neurological

Posted , 7 users are following.

I posted sometime ago that I had a brain cyst and intense burning in my head and I was waiting to see a Neurologist. At the time I wondered whether the burning sensation was hormone related. I've since seen a Neurologist who had advised that a cyst can just be a space in the brain filled with fluid, not necessarily a growth filled with fluid. In my case it appears that prior to birth I had a stroke which killed off part of the brain, left a gap which fills with CSF fluid. None of this has left me brain damaged (although my husband says this is questionable). But all that said the Neurologist didn't really know what the burning was caused by, he thought maybe a combination of anxiety and menopause and it should disappear over time. Anyone had the same experience?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi nicola

Ive a burning sensation in my head especially when im tired or stressed anxiety ect can also bring it on its horrible i used to think I had a brain tumor.

Im peri still have lots of different symptoms with it.

im glad i joined the forum cause so many symptoms i am suffering other ladies have them so im not going crazy lol

• Posted

Hi Missmacca, you're so right it is definately worse when I'm tired, not sure if it comes on when I'm stressed. I have it now and I'm at work - I work in a Call Centre until 1am in the morning. I am tired as I flew back from a busy time in the UK last night. I feel like I could just take nap. It is horrible, very disconcerting and as you say "thank God" for this Forum as the Doctors don't get it 😊
  • Posted

Dear Nicola

I have read someone once put about electric shock sebsations in head as a peri/meno symptom, that said do you suffer with sinus problems bec when i had sinus infection i had what seemed like burning sensations over my head. I didnt really think about sinuses in top of head but once in the height of the sinus infection i was coming out of a warm shop into the cold air and had this burning type pain in the top of my head and thought that's it i had a brain tumour, that was many years ago and i'm pleased to say it wasnt. The sinus infection also affected my neck and temples, just a thought it could be this x

• Posted

Hi Pinkcatfairy, I don't suffer from sinus at all so no connection there. But I've never had this feeling before and as Macc says it does come on when I'm tired. It's sort of like a burning/fizzy sensation. I'm actually taking tablets for it - Neurontin - because it got so bad I couldn't work. At the moment I'm taking 6 a day. I did think to reduce them down and eventually stop taking them, but to be honest as I'm still getting the sensation with them (but not as bad) I'll probably need to stay on them otherwise I don't think I'd be able to work. I hate the Peri/Meno it's so unsettling 😟
    • Posted

Dear Nicola,

Oh it was just a thought, I know it is such a horrible time for us x

• Posted

Yeah when my flashes are coming on, I feel like my brain is on fire. It's like a hot flash. Everyone feels them differently though. My one friend immediately breaks out in a sweat around her hairline. Weird feeling these flashes.
    • Posted

Hi Didi, I thought it was the hot flashes at first - they seem to start from my neck and work their way up my face to my head. But the head sensation feels like pressure, burning, rawness - just weird and it comes on without a hot flash. The Neuro thinks it will pass with time, mind you he was male so I'm not sure how much he knows about the meno, I may as well be talking to pig 🐷☺️
  • Posted

Hi

Menopause does affect you neurologically, as our periods  in part, are controlled by the brain, part of the brain sends hormones to start our periods, ovaries i think keeps you on for a certain length of time, so brain kick starts it off, ovaries finishes it so to speak.

The electric shock symptoms, are caused by fatigue, which knocks our body clocks out, which, then affects our sleeping patterns, this is another reason why we get neuro symptoms, another symptom is what drs call  hypnogenic jerks, this is when your starting to relax, and about to drift off asleep, you feel like your falling, and then kick out, and thats what these kicks are! this started happening to me during the day, as my body clock was out so much due to fatigue, that my brain was telling me, i should be asleep, and i had not long since got up, so i was getting all these neuro symptoms during the day, whilst at work.   I was kicking out whilst sat on the bus, i got electric shocks during my shift, i had heat in my head, but not burning, my migraines got worse, and i started to get a kicking feeling inside my head, drs said this was deffered pain as my migraines had changed, and these symptoms happened in a cluster, which is how my migraines use to happen dont always get the pain now, but still get all the different kicks, and shocks but a lot milder nowadays as im post!

• Posted

Hi Elaine, thanks so much that information is so helpful - our bodies go through so much. I think the reason my head has been so bad is that I started a new job in January which means I am working until 1am. Therefore I'm not in bed until 2am, so along with the meno, my body is craving sleep but not getting any at the normal time. I was sort of getting used to the different work pattern but I've just come back from a weeks holidays so I'm probably back to square one now. 😩😩
    • Posted

Hi nicola

Yes that will be it, people who work, notice when they have been off for a while, it knocks our clocks out, and we have to go back to work to start all over again, our bodies need routine, harder to do when not working, but it still can be done, you just have to keep re training our bodies to put our clocks back in sinc, you may hear people say, im better working, i feel much healthier, its the routine, routine will help you control your meno symtpoms, but DONT overdo the exertion either, its gentle exercising, and know when to stop, otherwise your fatigue willbecome chronic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.