Menopause plus at 46

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi am 46 and getting hot flushes for the past year and some palpitations.  Nothing too bad went to my GP just to make sure that it wasn't anything sinister.  I have had the merena coil for 3 years so haven;t been getting periods with it.  He took blood tests and it came back yeserday that I am menopause plus plus.  Can't believe it am in shock.  Any body else in the same situation am worried I should be on HRT as a nurse friend of mine told me before that you should always go on HRT as if you don't you could get osteoporosis.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

There are also a lot of side effects to synthetic hormones and not everyone is a good candidate for them.You have to decide what is best for you.
  • Posted

Hi 

HRT is not the answer for all, it carries other risks, 

The nurse who told you that needs educating in the field of menopause. It may help bones but may cause alot more problems. 

HRT postpones menopause reboots the declining hormones and one day when you have to stop you have menopause again, so needs considering, 

I never had HRT i am 50 and like many women we take calcium and vit D, Maca etc for bone health.

Its all personal choice 

HRT is too high risk for me 

Do your research on it hun, make your own choice

Good luck

Jay 

• Posted

Ah thanks Jay that's exactly how I feel don't think HRT is for me.  Dr says I'm nearly at the other end of menopause so I guess if I have survived so far without taking anything.  I will start taking calcium for bone health.  Is there anything else you can recommend.

Ali

• Posted

Hi Ali 

i am age 50 ... 16 months post meno

had a 10 year peri, for me i chose natural as family history of HRT was rather bad..

my Doc said Calcium and Vit D a must, i have taken it for 10 years, in form of Natecal ( both in one) 

as well as B6 (150mg) which he also gave me ten years ago at first.

i didnt realise back then just how good it is for anxiety and menopause so stopped taking it, but now i take it daily and i feel great.

i also take Chelated Magnesium, Vit E, Maca capsules, and otther things

good luck hun what ever choice you make 

jay xx

• Posted

Hi, Alie.  I agree, this nurse is not quite well informed. Unfortunately it is not proved the hormones are not cancerigenous, and that is the reason many women avoid to take them.  Only the one that have hysterectomy at early ages have no options, as much as I know.  All the others have options. Bones and heart are the major issues for the ones that decide go natural. So, decide wisely.  Hugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.