Menopause renal patient and have hyper parathyoidism

Posted , 6 users are following.

where do I start I feel I am dieing dizzy and lost lots of weight cause of acid reflux I have high pth and dialysis   I feel I can not cope ,is it my kidney problems or my pth or my menopause I have all the ,signs of  a menopause but not had any test but need to do something been off work for 4 week want to get back to normal . What medication  do I take l am on cinacalcet  for my high  high (parathoid) 

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

have you seen your doctor? Menopause won't be helpful all your issues. If you have lost weight due to reflux, which sounds odd really, unless you haven't been eating, you need something maybe like Omoprazole, but I don't think you should take anything without first checking with yr doctor, due to interactions with other drugs you take for kidney issues. I hope you can findsome help.  It's awful when you feel so bad. sad
    • Posted

I am on ranitidine for acid reflux  but just knowing what could be the problem I thought I was having menopause signs but with my dialysis I also got dehydrated and got dizzy but thinking I was dying I was having panic tack but looking at what people have wrote are all the sign I am having hope to see if medication will help will try chemist any one no what to get.  And how long can the menopause last for.
    • Posted

Everyone is different in the lead up to menopause. There is no one size fits all sadly.  i take after my mother, in that she was well into her 50's before her monthly stopped.  Unlike me, she breezed through it.  Take hope. Breathe. Get some good advice on what is happening.  If you need to go to the Dr three weeks in a row, then do it for peace of mind. smile

• Posted

Hello Kim,  Oh dear, there is too many things going on!  I am very familiar with that!  What are you taking for the reflux?  I was on the Prilosec for too long, had to have surgery, as my flapper was totally gone due to the acid.  I have been fine for 8 years, but began having problems again with my tummy.  My doctor put me back on Prilosec for a while, but it was not really doing much, as I was not having issues with reflux anymore, it was my actual stomach that was hurting.  So, now he has now put me on Protonix, as the Prilosec actually caused damage.  (you have to be very careful with Prilosec!) 

I also have problems with my adrenals and kidneys, and the reason my blood pressure has just been all over the place.  I am now on a medication for that.  The good news is, my bp is leveling out nicely, but the bad news is, the meds the urologist put me on for the adrenals/kidneys, do make me dizzy, one of the side effects.  Could the meds you are on for your kidneys be making you dizzy, a side effect as well?  What of the other med you are on, do you know what side effects that one has?  

I don’t always trust the doctors, they don’t always keep up with what they each order for us, so what I do is keep an up-dated list on my computer, and I make a copy, and take it to every doctor appointment with me, so that they all have a complete, up-dated copy in their file...so no mistakes!  Even my pharmacist has caught a couple of things that would not mix well, and had to call me, and the doctor to tell us, I could not take the two meds together!  Thank Heaven’s for my Pharmacist!! 

Our doctors, as good as they may be, are just too darn busy, and make mistakes!!  So, we have to be pro-active in our own health!!  If one doctor orders a test, I ask them to send a copy to my other doctors, so they too have a copy for their files.  If I were you, I would not wait, I would call your doctor, and tell them exactly what you posted here.  Something is obviously not right, or meds might need to be adjusted.  It’s so scary when we don’t know what is happening to us!  Especially when we already have health issues, and then other strange things start to come up!  If you can Kim, look up the meds you are taking on line, see what the side effects are, and google to see if there are any interactions you should look for if taken together with your other meds.  And come Monday morning, I would give your doctor a call for sure.  I wish you luck, “TRY” to relax IF you can.  When you are feeling dizzy, stay seated Missy!  You don't need to be falling!  Try to eat something that has a good amount of protein...like a good yogurt...something without too much sugar.  Have a nice cup of tea, and rest over the weekend!  Those are your orders from headquarters!  Bless You Dear!!

smile

• Posted

Hi deidra I love a cup of tea but cause of the reflux read that should not have l aI so have to watch what I eat cause of high phostate and pth I don't no if this reflux is menopause ?       The medication I am on prednisone atenolol (blood pressure ) Ranitdine (reflux) cinacalcet (hyper parathyroid ) may be cause of high pth levels I read that when you going though menopause your pth goes up but my is already high cause of kidney problems I so fed up feeling like this just want a pill to fix it all last week felt was this as good has it gets I have had my transplant for 19 years and was hard when had to go back on dialysis not good this time round and my friends said I depressed and get some tablet but don't want to start that also I have just lost my sister 7 months ago with kidney trouble I am normally strong but feel weak and don't want to leave the house is this the menopause ? How long dose it last for month years or what can I take for this and dose it help. 
    • Posted

What blood test need for the test for the menopause I am having blood take tomorrow 
  • Posted

Hi. I also had hyperpararhyroid disease that developed 18 months ago. I had to have 3 of the 4 parathyroids removed last July and this has solved the problem. Have they done an ultrasound and nuclear CT scan of the parathyroids, as if they are enlarged the only way to resolve the issue with them is to remove the ones that are enlarged. All 4 of mine were enlarged but if they remove all 4 you have to take high doses of calcium daily and due to having the majority of my bowel removed due to Crohns, that wasn't an option. So removed 3 and left the least knackered one. This has behaved itself.

The odd thing was that 10 days after the surgery my normal thyroid went nuts into overdrive and went massively overactive. Which surgeon was baffled by as this isn't a known side effect or complication for it to happen so late after the initial surgery. It made my metabolism, pulse and body temperature go through the roof. Felt constantly dizzy, terrible hot flushes and completely wiped out.

May be an idea to get your normal thyroid checked and also ask whether the parathyroids need to be scanned and possibly removed if not normal size.

• Posted

Hi I am seeing the ent Doctor 28/6/16 about maybe a parathoidecemy also to see about this reflux I am not eating I don't eat fatty thing no chocolate no sweets not eating any of the foods that cause reflux I eat small amounts and still get reflux even when I don't eat anything I get lump in throat and feel I can't breath
  • Posted

One of the symptoms of hyperparathyroidism is that it effects appetite and can cause acid reflux. With me it killed my appetite which was a massive issue as I need to eat 4000 calories a day as have so little bowel left I don't absorb most of what I eat. Also it causes joint and bone pain as the calcium is stripped from the bones.

Ask for your parathyroid to be scanned and nuclear CT as it will show which ones are enlarged and then they can be removed. That won't necessarily help with the kidney issues but should stop the acid reflux and appetite problems in its tracks.

If DR says wait then find a new DR as high parathyroid levels affect the central nervous system and left untreated can be very dangerous.

Are you in UK or US?

• Posted

U.K. I am on cinacalcet for my parathyroid but take week or months to come down I am also I think going into my menopause and that send your pth up 
  • Posted

Have they done ultrasound and nuclear CT of the parathyroid?
  • Posted

I had to fight and insist on scans as my pth was raised but my calcium was high but still in normal range. I also insisted on seeing a parathyroid surgeon not a medical consultant as wasn't going to put up with a medical consultant telling me that as calcium was only high normal we could just watch and wait. I found my own surgeon by researching the best online and then asked my GP to give me a NHS choose and book referral to him.

He wasn't convinced and even put in his letter that he felt I had decided I had Hyperparathyroidism but there was no medical basis for this as he felt my raised pth was just a glitch. So anyway he had to swallow his words when the scans came back showing all 4 were knackered and I told him I wanted an apology for saying it was all in my mind. He apologised.

End result 3 removed last July and appetite back to normal in a week.

Fight for what you want, research online who is best in your area and their field and get your GP to do a choose and book to them. Also is there a private hospital near you that does NHS referrals as waiting lists there normally much shorter and it us still on NHS.

• Posted

Hi my pth has come Down to 56.6 from 106 this is on cinacalcet I have a little reflux at time but still haven't got my appetite back but I am on dialysis and renal patient lose this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.