Menopause scares me to travel. Raises my BP

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi ladies

Anyone have this problem, I use to love travelling, visiting new places. Since perimenopause I've developed high blood pressure, this past few years each time I fly my BP rises and I get anxious and worried I will die on the plane. I've had to seek medical help few times. My BP is not normally high when I'm not traveling. I use to travel alot with my job, Now I'm terrified to get on a plane.

Anyone facing this issue? Any advice?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kadija,

I also have noticed a mild anxiety while flying now a days, but it has not resulted in any higher BP...or nothing that I have noticed.

But I have heard that one can develop unrelated, non-rational fear / anxiety for things that were just ordinary / normal pre-preimenopause. Maybe it just that for you. But if you are experiencing high BP just during travel /flight maybe a mild sedative that does not knock you off be an answer? Not saying that it is good, but I know when I used to travel across several time zones (it was a few years back), I used to take a mild sedative - mainly to get to relax during the long flights that did not have any lasting effect and moreover non-habit forming.

It is a pity to not do the things that one like / liked just because our hormones decided to take revenge on us!

Hope you find a solution.... I LOVE traveling and it would really suck if I had to give it up.

• Posted

yes i started having anxiety every time i would go out of town. even just to visit my parents 3 hours away. sometimes i do have to take something

• Posted

Hi iKadija1966 ~ I'm 50 and on the pill so I have no idea if i'm going through menopause or not but suspect I am. I also now have high blood pressure (it's been as high as 179/110) and travel a lot with my job. I haven't had any serious issues with the travel...that doesn't mean you won't but I think

Pra_Adoni has a good suggestion when she mentions the mild sedative. Many people (those who are going through menopause or not) take mild sedatives to help them deal with anxiety when they fly. I hope it all works out for you!

• Posted

please don't let this thing take away your joy I was in your shoes at one time and I'm encouraging you to be brave just do it travel and you'll be happy with yourself after I also have blood pressure and I'm on medication but I challenge myself to not let anxiety riun my life and I've overcome my fears so take your trips and have fun

• Posted

Thanks Betty, I'm hoping to fly to Mauritius soon. Then next year to visit family in London. I live in Seychelles.

• Posted

Hi Kadija, I traveled the world in my youth even lived in Europe for 12 years on my own. Loved it. Over the years, it is my experience that air travel has just gone down hill. Today at 55, I'm pretty much done with traveling by air. Ask yourself if it is actually the flying that raises your bp and anxiety or is it the time crunches, delays, rudeness, filthy planes, loud noise level, fear of lost luggage (plus broken locks/bags), high prices, overcrowding, lack of space and complete and utter lack of respect for well, everything that gives you bad feelings? That's what it is for me. I have Global Entry so I don't go thru the lines and endure the shoes, belts, earrings, jackets off, etc and I still abhor airports and everything about flying. A recent trip inside the US on American Airlines was the end of it all for me. Unbelievably bad. Like with most things, if you figure out exactly what is bothering you, you can usually fix it. If you love to travel, a pair of noise cancelling headphones (I'm bothered by loud/lots of noise) and a good book may help ease your anxiety. Best of luck and warm hugs.

• Posted

you are not alone,last time i Traveled, it was just as if i was having a heart attack. i had anxiety through out my flight. it also happens when am in the car. i feel like someone passing out. i am really so afraid to fly and have been waiting for someone to say something here about it. it worries me so much and i just need help.

• Posted

I travelled to London In March, my trip was via dubai, on arrival at dubai I felt sick and went to the airport medical center, my BP was high, even though I took my meds. I stayed 2days in dubai to relax and I was fine. As soon as I board the plane I became anxious, scared. However I arrive in London OK. I went to see a private doctor and he couldn't see anything wrong with me. On the way back I was still anxious but managed the 12 hours flight back home. I'm supposed to visit my family again next march, but wonder if I can make it, I feel anxious just thinking about leaving home.

• Posted

I'm not scared of flying or planes, just that I fear my BP is gonna rise alot and I will collapse on the plane and no one to help me.. Lol.. My BP is well controlled with low dose medication. I'm fit and well, apart from the menopause issues now and again.

• Posted

That's pure anxiety. When you are enclosed on a plane or in a car, there's no way to "escape" (it's always the worst in public places) and that allows anxiety to turn into panic which makes our heart pound, sweat, nausea, feel faint, etc. It's not reality (it's our mind) and you'll need to make sure you put your mind onto something else, something good. Have something you like to think about and concentrate on that when you start to feel anxious. And breathe deep and slow. That's how I deal with it. I've had anxiety on and off throughout my life since I was a child. It's hell.

• Posted

is it possible to control it cos mine happens even when my mind is not there.

• Posted

I am right there with you. Loved to travel, did it alot for work by myself and multiple time a year with family. These last 2 years I am terrified. Anxiety gets in the way and it makes it an awful experience for me....and I am usually with my kids trying to hide it - which makes it even worse.

I hate this. I also have now been diagnosed with HBP and am on a low dose of meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.