Menopause Sge

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 58 years old and had a hysterectomy when I was 30. Can I still have menopause ?

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, if all they took was your uterus and you still have your ovaries. Your ovaries are still producing hormones. Even though you are not bleeding anymore, your ovaries will eventually start the decline in hormone production at which point you will enter menopause. Medically speaking, they say that after you have a hysterectomy you usually achieve menopause in 3-5 years. Having a hysterectomy will automatically get the wheels rolling in that direction. You will continue to have menopausal symptoms and probably even more so now since they removed the uterus. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Didn't you go into early menopause after getting your ovaries taken out? Most women experience it immediately following surgery. My mom went through it at 59 after having a hysterectomy in her 40's. She was put on HRT pills to regulate with her hormonal fluctations. If you're experiencing hormonal fluctuations why don't you go see your gynecologist rather than to be asking in a forum that can't provide you with answers to your questions? Just wondering.

• Posted

I'm only 42. I had one of my ovaries removed at age 26. I started having symptoms immediately after surgery. My older sister is 47 and is already done. She hasn't had a period in almost 14 months. So age really doesn't factor in. When your body decides it's time then that's when it happens.

• Posted

I got this from a menopause website:  I get dry eyes.

When women go through the menopause, they experience significant hormonal changes. In simple terms, as oestrogen drops, this reduces moisture in the mucous membranes. This is why many women who experience a dry mouth can also experience dry eyes.

• Posted

I don't get dry eyes. But boy this dry mouth is brutal. And everyday. Does Anyone have this chronic issue?

• Posted

I had it for a short time, later it became my eyes. I just kept drinking water then started chewing gum which was suggested by doctor.
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing. Was your dry mouth as bad as mine where I can't function?

I have yet to see anyone like me. It's totally altered my life. How long did yours last? And we're yourr saliva glands working? I'm at my wits ends with this. Any cure for this?

• Posted

Have you tried the gum? I was also given a mouth wash to help promote more saliva. It didn't last long because I was at my doctors like every week with something new.

• Posted

Are you on medications?  A lot of meds can cause dry mouth.  I also have Sjogren's and Lupus, and especially Sjogren's Syndrom causes dry mouth, and the saliva glands get involved.  My glands get very swollen at times, also get hard...right now I can massage them...it's painful, but it breaks things up in there.  Some time we have to have what they call stones removed from the glands, as they get so bad.  NOT fun, but you might want to have that checked out.  It is one of the effects of Sjogren's you could have it and not know it yet.  I don't mean to frighten you, it's a auto-immune thing.  Do you have any kind of arthritis?  Something to look into maybe?  Aside from meno, the dry eyes, and mouth can also be a sign of the Sjogren's, especially if your glands are an issue.  For most people, that is all it is.  I just happen to be one of the un-lucky ones, with much more advanced issues.

• Posted

Not so much, they have some things out you can buy, tooth paste, and mouth wash.  I have tried everything I can find, and it will work for about 15-20 minutes, then it's over.  Really, the only thing is sugarless gum, and water.  So darn annoying!!  You really have to stay on top of it, as you can really have a huge problem with your teeth.  Without saliva, one can lose your teeth.  We need the saliva to kill the bacteria, that is why I always at least have gum in my mouth!  AND I floss like crazy!!  My dentist calls me his Flossing Queen!  LOL  That is the only way to keep our teeth.  A lot of people with Sjogren's end up losing their teeth.  I refuse!  LOL  So, between me and my dentist, we are making sure!  He says mine are in perfect condition, so I have to keep them that way.  I see him twice a year. 

• Posted

Is yours as dibilating as mine?  I can't work, got fired from my previous job because of my speach impediment (caused by dry mouth) is there an end to this?frown

• Posted

Deidra, I suspect that if she's having a speech impediment with her dry mouth there is something else going on and not just a peri-menopause symptom.

• Posted

My speech is due to dry mouth. When I speak a lot my mouth dries so much it affects my speech.
    • Posted

Oh it can be awful!!!  If I don't have gum in my mouth, fresh gum, you can't talk...you can't swallow!  You can't even lick your lips.  I constantly have a bottle of water with me...in hand at ALL times!!  It feels like your mouth is glued when it is like that.  I Know what you mean!!  I can't imagine you got fired for such a thing!!  That would be considered a

disability here in the states...under the ADA, American Disability Act.  The employer would be in BIG trouble for that here!!!  They "can't" fire you for something like that.  They can move you to another position, but they can't fire you.  That's awful!  I am so sorry they did that to you!!

• Posted

How long have you had this? If it's been more than a month then you should have it looked at seriously by a professional as most peri-symptoms come and go, they don't linger around for a long time unless there is an underlying condition that maybe associated with it.

• Posted

Yes, but you have a condition that goes with your dry mouth as part of the symptom.

Estrella says she has a speech impediment and is blaming peri-menopause. I would be drinking tons of water, and chewing gum like crazy which is what my doctor recommended when I had it for a short time, like a week or two.

• Posted

Yes...me too, for being that dry, something else has to be going on else where in the body...like the Sjogren's to start with...but there are so many other things too.  I would go see a Rheumatologist, as they check for so many things that a GP does not.  All the auto immune stuff. 

• Posted

For sure...I don't think it has anything to do with meno or peri/meno.  It sounds like something else going on to me...

I think I must own part of the mentos gum company by now!  lol

• Posted

That's way too long and since it's getting worse, I would contact my doctor and find out what's going on.

• Posted

I've been to every Dr. You can think of and none of them know how to treat dry mouth.

• Posted

I'm sure they have it, for those with a disability, since she didn't claim it to be a disability, the employer could fire her at will.

• Posted

You need an Endocrinologist to find out where the problem is coming from. Deidra suggest a rheumotologist but if you're not having joint pain I would jump to an endcrinologist. They would do all types of testing to see where the problem is.

• Posted

Estrella...no joking...we really don't think this has anything to do with meno, we really do think you should see a doctor...I think you should see a Rheumatologist to be tested for the dry mouth issue.  What you are explaining to us, sounds much more than like a auto immune issue.  Especially as it has gotten worse over the last 3-4 months.  It's not something you should let keep going.  If it is a auto immune thing, you don't want to mess with it, and let it go too long, the sooner it is caught, the better for you.  And IF it is, and they put you on meds, those meds will help with the dry mouth, it won't go away, but it will help.

• Posted

I agree Deidra, she needs to find out what's causing this ailment, that is getting worse rather than better. This is not a peri-meno issue when it goes from bad to worse. I suggest she see an Endocrinologist, he will do all sorts of testing as well.

• Posted

Yes...I think I agree with you.  Better idea.  The Endo can find most things quicker than the others.  And he/she will sort out the hormone issues too!  They are much more reliable than the GP's when it comes to that, for the most part. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.