Menopause water retention?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All, just wondering if any of you are experiencing bad water retention in Meno? Im 19 mths in Meno, on sertraline for anxiety,evorel conti hrt patch 25mg and betablockers for anxiety attacks/palpitations. I think any one of these can cause water retention?! I have put on well over a stone and am starting to lose it through diet, but my weight/look changes drastically in a day! I get up and look and feel quite slim but within a short while the saddlebags above my hips have appeared and bloated stomach. I wonder if any of these drugs affect kidney function? I have decided to stop the hrt to see if that helps, but need to stay on the other things a few more months at least. I feel so much better in myself but its now the terrible skin (cystic acne) and bulges thats affecting my confidence. Also starting to get health anxiety back a little in case its something else!! Ive had loads of ecgs so it shouldnt be my heart, which ive read can cause this. I know i should go to docs but ive had so much testing over past 2 years for what i think is all meno related issues (cause nothings shown up apart from hormone tests show im in Meno) that it sent my anxiety through the roof, so i try to avoid the doctors! So, does anyone have this water retention problem on HRT/antidepressants such as sertraline or betablockers. Last 2 years ive been tested for stomach problems due to increased gas/burping to rule out sinister causes, i still have it and theres a chance that the gas and water retention could be down to a food intolerance, so ive read, so im cutting out wheat and dairy and sugar for a week to see if that helps! I seem to react to almost everything though, but especially sugar which ive already cut down on, bread which i rarely eat, potatoes which ive stopped having, bananas which i love but will stop. So its going to be a lean protein/salad/fruit diet which ive already started a week ago but only just stopping wheat and dairy today. I may have to see a nutritionist if i cant fathom it. Ive been caffeine free for 8 months and dont drink alcohol. Any idea appreciated ladies xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

yes Julie - my water retention has no pattern at all - i can literally be 2pounds heavier on the scales one day & 24hrs later drop 2pounds!! i do not know anything that would help except to keep your dietry salt to a minimum. you can get water tablets from doctor, but if its just water retention i personally wouldnt want to take a prescription med just for that. x

• Posted

Thank you, Im putting on a kg in a day but more than the weight its the look of me that changes so much in a day...from relatively slim to podgy saddlebags above hips and round my back and a larger stomach within an hour or 2 of getting up! I dont eat much salt, eating mainly salad and a bit of protein so i dont think too much salts the issue. What do you think causes your water retention?
    • Posted

i think its just part of perimeno & being a woman of a certain age unfortunately! i am under gynae at my local hosp for prolonged irregular bleeding (thickened womb lining) & due to have a 2nd attempt soon at ablation as the first attempt (they tried 3 times) didnt work as i have a smaller womb than usual, so don't know if this is contributing also with my hormones likely to playing up. my instinct is that mine is just water retention as on the days i am bloated i pee alot more. x

• Posted

Thanks Looloo, I'll carry on with no dairy/wheat/sugar for a bit and see if it helps. Sorry to hear of your issues with your womb lining, not much fun being a woman is it? Ive had menstrual migraines for 20 years now the Meno from hell, I thought it'd be a relief! Hope the ablation goes well for you.

• Posted

Sounds like you're doing all you can for the water rentention and gas. Both are on the list of menopause symptoms. Isn't this fun!!  smile  Lol! I have experienced both gas and water rentention myself off and on. Sometimes I'll wake up bloated and it will go away by days end. Sometimes it will last a day or two even though I take a diuretic with my BP meds. I also drink about  40 oz of water a day and that helps(it also helps me with vaginal dryness believe it or not). I have to watch what I eat because of stomach issues, so the gas has been more off than on lately. I've never been big on caffeine so cutting that out is not a problem. I am on the antidepressant Trazodone 100mg and that helps some. My dentist gave me Valium for TMJ(which I'm sure is anxiety fueled)and it helps tremedously, but I'm out and he won't prescribe any more. So, I'm praying, meditating, and trying to think positive. We will make it through this!!! You are being proactive and that's important! Take care!

• Posted

Thanks so much Juanita, yes its ridiculous! Because i put a lot of weight on on sertraline im on a healthier lower calorie diet now and i can see the difference a little each morning that im losing fat, but by the end of the day im looking huge again in a rubber ring around my middle and back! On a more positive note, the sertraline has really helped my anxiety and ive not needed diazepam for a few weeks, but my doctor has been very strict with them so i was really having to ration them, so i understand what its like to dread not being allowed more.could you ask your doctor for some for bad anxiety day? I managed to get some by saying i needed them for extra stressful event like job interviews, which is true! What a bad time to be looking for a job lol. Yes hun if we can get through this (and its the only option!) we are tough cookies! Take care x
    • Posted

Thanks for the pep talk Julie! My dentist won't prescribe me any more Valium. I have to get it from my GP. I have a new one I and can't get in until August 2nd. But after some research I found that the spice tumeric helps depression and anxiety. I've been spicing my food with it for two days and it has really helped! I It's also an anti-inflammatory so it has helped my knees and other achy joints. Since its a spice I can still take my antidepressant(but I have to wait two hours after eating). Do some research on it. But when I go to my GP in August I'm still going to get my Valium for the days when I can't stop my mind from racing. Stay strong!💪

• Posted

Ahh thank you, I have turmeric in the cupboard, I will try that. Its also good for infected spots and whitening the teeth!
  • Posted

Hi Julie, I had water retention through Peri and on and off over the years mainly in my hands first thing in the morning and sometime my feet too. Mine was caused by estrogen spikes and would happen as part of my cycle even when I didn't get any bleeding. I'd get all the symptoms with no period. Also too many carbs, or salt obviously will make it worse and if you don't drink enough water your body will hold more to prevent dehydration. I use pink Himalayan salt on all my meals and I eat 5/6 very low carb meals each day with no problem. Its a lot better for you than table salt. So from my experience for me it happens when my estrogen is high.

Hope this helps a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.