Menopauseand hypothyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been having menopause symptoms for over 2 years now, not taking any meds. Had been trying to lose weight in preparation for an operation. Exercised regularly for months. Usually the weight would fall off, but nothing! Felt this was very unusual for me. Doc checked my thyroid levels and found Im mildly hypo, and gave me a script for a low dose of thyroxine. Has anybody had similar onset of hypothyroidism during menopause? Would be very interested to hear how you got on.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Debbie I can totally relate. Perimenopause and thyroid symptoms have such similar symptoms I went a year before going to the doctor and that was totally not smart but anyways I have a very underactive thyroid. I have never had it confirmed but I'm pretty sure I'm having Perimenopause symptoms as well. I use to be able to maintain my weight but now its so much harder it just doesn't go anywhere and it seems to be all in the belly lol.
  • Posted

Hi Debbie ❤️ I sure can't pig out like I used to.  It goes either straight to my belly or straight to my hips or both. 😤. I eat some Halloween candy treats and the next day it feels like I gained 20 pounds!  I do half sit ups each morning and that really helps I find cause I am not giving up my chocolate 😀😀. They say walking is the best for Menopuse to keep things moving.  It will eventually fall off its just harder to fall now that we are getting older. Waaaaaa  Take care dear 💙💚💜
  • Posted

Its so unfair! You could really get into a downward spiral. Going to get my tablets today. Also go this dragging feeling in my bladder. Doc checked my urine yesterday and said it was clear. Said this is also a menopause symptom! 😡 Thanks ladies. Havent even told my man, feel Im moaning all the time, so great to come on here and chat to those who understand.
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

im having the same problem.. I eat healthy , exercise, and have put half a stone on in 6 months.. It's driving me crazy.. I seem to eat less and put more weight on!,,

nothing I do seems to help or reduce my weight. I'm really depressed about it as all my clothes are starting to feel tight . 

Someome suggested I get my blood tested for thyroid... So I will go next week .. In a way I hope it is otherwise I will be 6 foot under !! Oh to be a man ! 

• Posted

Hi Julie

yes, I was over the moon to be told I needed thyroxine. It just remains to be seen if I actually start to lose weight and feel better. Just taken the dog out for a leisurely hour long walk and feel exhausted. However, off to Boots to get the pills! Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.