Menopausel antidepressants

Posted , 8 users are following.

HI I am 58, on escitalopram, thinking of coming of it, cannot stand the side effects of sweating, more anxiety, I am week 5, has anyone came of it with success then got on other, that helped, ie prozac, or something similar, thank you , going doctors tomorrow so would like to hear storys

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm on a very low dose.  I take it at night and believe that it helps me relax and go to sleep.  I don't feel as anxious as I once did but I also take other supplements that could help.   Good luck and do what's best for you.

• Posted

Mine is 10 mg which a therapist told me it's barely anything.  And then when I feel like I really need it like during X-mas- I take two which is 20 mg.   So far no problems..

• Posted

Hi Susan, I was on a similar SSRI antidepressant for 10 years. It took me 2 nightmare years to wean off and long term use has left me with some very nasty permanent side effects. An SSRI was responsible for worsening my late husbands schizophrenia. One day he listened to his voices and took his own life. If I were you, the lesser of two evils is an old school benzodiazepine ad if you really are suffering anxiety. I take diazepam as and when needed and would never ever take another SSRI again. They are addictive once well into your system and carry horrid and sometimes permanent side effects. Get an alternative if you can. Hope this is of use to you. X
  • Posted

Hi Susan I never got on very well with citralopram, I stuck it out for 6 weeks and decided to come off it gradually as instructed by other on another forum. I felt worse on it and every day o would think give it another day another day but not it was awful . Take advice maybe from your doctor but I would reduce it . Don’t go cold turkey 💕

• Posted

I think you need to take them a little longer they say you get worse b4 you feel the benefits ... I know lots of people who take these / are you on HRT? 
  • Posted

Hi Susan I'm on SSRI sertraline for 6 and a half weeks and although I've had good and very bad days since then for the past week I've felt so much calmer and happier please be patient a bit longer, some take longer to work and depends on the person bit my doc said at my 4 week review the longer your on it the better you'll get, he was right, I feel so much better now than 2 and half weeks ago, if it's not for you they could maybe try u with different one xx

• Posted

Everyone is different, but I can't take SSRI's. I was on Prozac and Lexapro. I had horrible side effects(loose stools, headache, horrible thoughts, etc.).. My doctor finally put me back on Trazadone(100mg) which is a SNRI. She also gave me Valium for the really difficult days(which I had yesterday and today). I normally only take Valium one or twice a week. My Therapist told me that Valium is a good benzo to be on because it's not like Xanax or Ativan which only stays in your system four to six hours. Valium can stay in your system up to 100 hours depending on how quickly you metabolize it, which means you don't have to take it as often and less likely to get hooked on it.

?SSRI'S are extremely strong drugs. Did you know that Lexapro was originally for people with sever bipolar disorder? I just cant see taking something that puts you through the wringer for four to eight week before you feel better. But like I said some people wear by SSRI's. I had a lady tell me they will definitely turn you inside out before you feel better. 

• Posted

Oh, I forgot, one Dr. put me on Zoloft. Within three days I was shaking, had the chills, no appetite. I felt like I had the flu only worse. My mind was going to bad places. missed a day of work because of it. I was not going to go through weeks of that.  Oh and forget sleeping it was like I was on amphetamines. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.