menstrual cramps after menopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I am 57 and post menopausal for 3 years.  Over the last 2 months I have experienced severe cramping and pelvic pressure with a dropping feeling in my vaginal area.  I have an ultrasound set up for this month.  I have not had any bleeding yet (crossing fingers).  My doctor said as we age the lining of the wall becomes thin and I may have a prolasped uterus.   I did have numerous fibroids prior to menopause but didn't have any symptoms after menopause.  Just curious if anyone else has had the dropping feeling.  Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I was just wondering if your lower stomach has an uncomfortable feeling when walking and standing like pressure bloated and uncomfortablke feeling hard to explain.  I have some of what you mentioned
    • Posted

yes, the cramps are much worse when standing or walking.  I do have the bloated feeling and also back pain.   What kind of symptoms are you having? 
  • Posted

Well i thought i had a prolapse until my doc said it wasnt as i didnt have children and that it was pressure of fibroids pushing fown on pelvic wall. It feels like a drppping feeling.
    • Posted

where did you feel the pressure was it in your very lolwer stomach or vaginal?
    • Posted

Hi, thank you for responding.  Did you have fibroids prior to menopause?  What kind of treatment did you have? 
  • Posted

Hi Golddlocks,

i too have that dropping feeling, i had very large fibroids, in 2011 i suffered from prolapsed uterus and bladder. had a hysterectomy in june that year. All went well, since then i have regular physio on a chair that sends electricL impulses to my pelvic floor muscles. Recently i had hemerrhoids banded 4, and the feeling fo pressure is back in my vagina, drs have checked me out and said no bladder prolapse hasnt come back yet. 

I know bladder prolapse can return ive been told to make sure im not gummed up as straining can cause prolapse also hemmies. At the moment i feel quite uncomfortable down there with odd sensations under skin around vagina and buttocks. Also very dry, feels like that heavy dropping feeling. I have read coconut oil may help dryness in menopause and its a natural antibiotic, antiseptic. Look at the many uses of the oil, even for dry skin and hair. Drs can tell if you have a uterus prolapse its easy to identify, so im surprised dr hasnt told you if you have or not.

good luck with it all, its a very common womens problem, fixable, my fibroids needed to come out so i didnt hesitate about having my hyst, but only you can decide, many women just live with prolapse.

best wishes to you sweetie,🌺

• Posted

Carol, thank you for responding.  I did have an exam and pap smear in September and then in December I had the dropping feeling.  I am not sure why he didn't examine me again and instead opted for the ultrasound.  Does the coconut oil cause any reaction when you put it on? 

• Posted

Hello,

i used the coconut oil without noticing any reactions, i have decided to go back on vagifem low. I had good results using it before, i wanted to see if it helped with the dropping feeling. I know that prolapsed bladders can re occur, especially from straining too much on the loo, lifting heavy things is a no no. As is jogging, which ive never been fond of. Ageing has so many pitfalls for women, seems menopause hits some of us worse than others. I hope your ultrasound goes well, keep in touch!

🌺

• Posted

Hi Carol, Thank you, for the well wishes.  I will keep in touch. 
  • Posted

Hi, the ultrasound was a wise decision on the drs part. It will be able to tell a lot more than just the exam. Will keep you in my prayers. Sounds like you have a good Dr that will find out what is going on down theresmile

• Posted

Hi Lotti, Thank you, I really appreciate your prayers.  I will update when I know more. 
  • Posted

I'm 53 and went through menopause 2 years ago.  I suffered endometriosis with severe cramps my entire adult life. I found relief upon going through the change until I started using black cohash for the hot flashes.  Now I have less severe hot flashes but the cramps are back. I just read that black cohash could have enough phytoestrogen to flare endometriosis symptoms.  Perhaps this is happening to you if you are taking a supplement? I have exactly what you describe including the "dropping" feeling.  I've decided to stop taking everything and power through.  Hot flashes are better than this misery.  I wish you well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.