Menstrual Migraine. Affecting my whole life now.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have suffered with migraines for years but now each month I have a severe migraine that lasts a week each time. I have to leave work and end up in hospital.

Sumatriptan do nothing. The pain starts in the right temple pulsating like something hatching in my head. 2 days later moves to forehead then a day later moves to right temple and lasts two days. The pain is so bad sometimes I question the point of being alive if this is my life. I need help.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know you said you tried sumatriptan, but have you tried the injection version that the drs can supply you with on prescription.  I say this, because I use sumatriptan and sometimes the tablet version does nothing, I have to use the injection else I dont get rid of headache.  If you are taking the pill, then maybe the dr can look at this and try a different sort to see if it helps.

Good luck and take care

let us know how you get on

• Posted

It breaks my heart to read of others suffering as I do.I too question life at my lowest ebb.

The only positive I can find at such a time is that it can only get better.

Don't let the b@#*#@d get the better of you.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi. I can really relate to you. I have a mirena coil fitted which I have had for 3 years. They fitted it as I used to suffer from severe menstrual migraines as well as weekly/twice weekly migraines the rest of the month. They thought that the mirena coil stops periods in 75% of women who use it and if this happened with me it would stop the hormone imbalance that can cause menstrual migraines. To cut a long story short my periods stopped and I didn't have menstrual migraines. However this year they have started again. I have no period but for the first week of every month I get such a severe migraine I too end up in hospital. I have ended up in hospital on other times of the month too. I self referred to the national migraine centre in April after being in hospital again and things did improve slightly after with their advice and guidance but my migraine diary shows a clear pattern of a severe migraine during the first week of every month. I am going to go back to the migraine centre and discuss and will keep you posted. I am thinking my age (47) may be affecting my hormone balance etc

• Posted

Oh Nicki you poor thing. It's just awful I know. It's as if we never get any real relief. I almost want to get my ovaries removed as I am 41 now. Although I was told that it could cause worse headaches due to lack of eostrogen? Can't win. I also feel that it would be immoral? Good luck with the Migraine centre and I will look forward to some good news from you hopefully x

• Posted

Michaela I have also just been prescribed 2 sumatriptan injections per month to use and they do work when my triptan tablets don't!!

• Posted

Thank you to all for replying. I used to have the injection but the UK do not seem to do it any more. I am so angry with most Gp's who dont seem to give a sh*t. They give you 5 mins and through the years just chuck different meds at you. Is a migraine sufferer classed under the disability act?

• Posted

You can get sumatriptan injections here in UK as I have them all the time from my dr.  I know what you mean about them not giving you any time and they dont seem to care much either, although I have to admit my GP is good,  Try nagging them about the imjections, it could be a case that it blows the practice budget
    • Posted

Couldn't agree more about GPS,waste of time in my opinion.

Currently trying magnesium supplements.

• Posted

Magnesium supplements? I will google it now. Seems to be all the GP's do!

Thanks Richard

• Posted

magnesium and melatonin  are both supplements that potentially can help all types of migraines
  • Posted

Michaela,

I suggest you try reducing the number if periods you have per year. I used to have significant menstrual migraines monthly. I discussed it with my gynecologist, he suggested Seasonale birth control pills to reduce the number of periods I have to 4 per year. In the US they say there is not a "direct" generic but there are other brands that do the same thing. A generic brand I receive is called Jolessa. Your gyn will probably know what is covered under your healthcare system. FYI, it took a few months for my body to adjust and stop having break thru bleeding, but now I don't have any symptoms of PMS monthly or bleeding like before, plus it helps to only have 4/year to deal with feeling like hell overall just because that's the hands women were dealt.

I use Imitrex injections too. The generic sumatriptan is available in the auto inject pen. I hate the pen, but I take what I can get I guess. Maybe try asking by the generic name? If your neuro doesn't give a s?&t then maybe it is time to look for another doctor. It took me more than one try to find a doctor who cares about my pain and overall well being. Of course, they will still throw drugs at you, but having someone who cares and is willing to try different things is a positive. I alternate the Imitrex Injection with a nasal spray called Migranal to avoid developing resistance like I did with maxalt and other oral medications. The migranal is a pain in the ass to administer, it takes 30 minutes to get your doses in. You spray once in each nostril and hold your head chin to chest for 15 minutes to prevent the medicine from going down your throat, which is nasty and you don't want. After 15 minutes you do a 2nd spray and chin to chest for 15 more minutes. Though it is pain it actually works well for me, I normally take it with 2 fioricet and reglan. I find the combination of meds with any triptan is more effective than the triptan alone. If you don't have a go to combination, you could discuss that with your neuro. Personally, Phenergan makes me feel awful so I don't want it in my cocktail, but I do well with Zofran and Reglan. If migranal spray isn't part your healthcare system, the generic is Dihydroergotamine (DHE) it also available in nasal spray. I also receive DHE in the ER via infusion with Reglan and Magnesium for status migraines. My neuro calls ahead to the ER and gives instructions. It helps with them treating me like a junkie, when I've never taken opiates/narcotics for my headaches.

Toradol injections used to help me greatly in combination with anti-nausea and magnesium injections. Then I developed NSAID induced colitis (not pretty) so no more Toradol. Funny thing, my pain tolerance levels are pretty messed up, ulcerative colitis is supposed to be an extremely painful condition, so they automatically prescribed me Percocet in the ER, I didn't even ask for pain medication. I never took it, and the entire time thought this pain isn't s&@t compared to my migraines. Sadly they take the colitis more seriously pain wise than migraine, if they only knew.

I hear you on feelings, if this is what life is like why bother. Chronic pain can take you there, I have asked myself the same questions. You should find another doctor, their job is to help you. If they can't help you or at least try, they are failing you. I am finally getting some treatments that are helping me, multiple series of nerve blocks with lidocaine, marcaine and decadron plus trigger point injections these are intended to allow for nerve inflammation to settle down, it seems to be helping some. Next is botox, I am hopeful acter seeing what the blocks started to do. Do I expect to be 100% pain free, no, but to lessen my pain intensity is a big deal. I was in a state of status migraine most of the time, with just a few days remission in between, and still am but the intensity is starting to lessen. There is a form of treatment that will help lessen your pain, you just haven't found it yet, don't lose hope.

Jenn

• Posted

Personal20, I cannot believe that you can still get the injection. I will ask my GP if I can have them again.

It leaves me so weak. Does anyone else feel that this is a disability?

• Posted

you mean the injections leave you so weak?  If so this is natural for a while after using them and I have been instructed to rest a while, lie down  and have little snooze, while this effect wears off.  They are the best for getting rid of the headache fast though.

Goodluck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.