Mental health in pregnancy

Posted , 1 user is following.

Looking for some reassurance and advice on behalf of my wife ,this is personal so she feels more comfortable if I write this on her behalf.My wife ran into an old friend who is pregnant.The friend told my wife that she at higher risk of experiencing post partum psychosis due to a history of mental health issues but didn't explicitly say what the mental health conditions were .

She told my wife that a history of mental health heightens the risk of developing postpartum psychosis .My wife has Generalised anxiety disorder and depression.she is now concerned that having these increases her risk of getting this if we were to have a second child .we already have a 4 year old son and my wife did not experience this after the birth of our son but did experience anxiety and post natal depression.There is a family history of post natal depression but not the psychosis.

We would like to have a second child but the vague information about how a mental health history could heighten the risk has now made my wife hesitant .so if anyone could provide some more clarification that would be appreciated.Also if developed how likely is it that sectioning/hospital treatment would be needed and for how long? .

Due to the vague information provided we really want more information before trying for a second child because we're unsure if the Generalised anxiety disorder and depression increase the risk or if its other types of mental health conditions that raise the risk which my wife does not have

Regards

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

looking for an actual doctor to reply too preferably

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.