Mental health meds or Diabetes?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I have been on anti depressants for a while and recently switched in the past 3 months to Fluoxetine. My symptoms were bad at the start, but have recently calmed down lately and I've been managing alright aside from a few issues. My question is about a sudden fatigue that's struck on me and the fact I am always incredibly thirsty. My parents have noticed more than me, but I am drinking pints after pints of water. I never really feel hydrated anymore. I have also noticed that I am passing urine more frequently and some bowel issues. I have also had a couple of Migraines which is rather unusual for me. I woke up in the night incredibly confused, saw shapes that weren't there and my eye sight was flickering.

Honestly, with the amount of side effects I've had with the anti depressants. I am swayed to assume that they are the cause of these symptoms more than anything. Just wanted a second opinion as I've heard that these are common symptoms of Diabetes. Thanks.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi lmao on the same tablets as yourself the problem is when your depressed or have constant anxiety as l know there's different symptoms you will you get ad you recover its your body trying to fight the physical affects of the illness .

I don't be live it the tablets its the illness its self and when your ill as it is an illness you should be drinking a lot its good for your body maybe go have some test at doctors your blood might to thick that's what happened to me

• Posted

Hey, thanks for the info. I have booked up and am seeing a doc tomorrow so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it smile

• Posted

Hi Beezwax. I think you need to see your GP and tell them all that you told us today. They are the experts and I hope you call today. Please let us know. Diane
    • Posted

Hey, thanks. I am seeing a doc tomorrow as I'm still struggling with it (especially at night). I feel very fatigued in the day, but at night I wake up frequently urinating and also become very confused upon awakening. I sometimes don't know where I am and can't think straight. Then I'll feel awful in the morning and feel slightly better as the day goes on when I've eaten and had a coffee. I am hoping its due to my depression as that's something I can try and fix at least smile

• Posted

Hi Beezwax - the dosage of your meds may need tweaking. Talk to your doc. Meanwhile, be careful with the intake of water - too much will dilute your system with catastrophic results. The incidence with migraines might be a result.
    • Posted

Hey, thanks I will keep that in mind. I've just been so thirsty its been very hard to get it out of my mind to be honest. As you can imagine its worst at night when I've been asleep a few hours. I will wake up feeling like I do after consuming A LOT of alcohol. Like the sahara desert in my mouth lol. 

• Posted

I'm also on fluoxetine and had all of the same effects you have described. Good news is they will ease and eventually pass. It may take a couple of months till your system gets fully used to them but they should stop. If they don't and you can't cope with them go back to your doctor and discuss maybe trying a different kind. I had to try a handful until I found one that suited. I wish you all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.