Meralgia Parasthetica

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had maralgia parasthetica in my left thigh since October 2006 when I had colon resection for colon cancer. The itching and burning in my thigh began about a week after surgery probably when I stopped taking all of the pain pills. The pain goes from the bottom outside of my thigh, up over my hip and ends at the left side of my tailbone. Because the pain is in my tailbone I usually cannot sit much after about noon. I am good when I first get up in the morning but as the day goes on the pain gets worse. I am taking Lyrica for it, and it takes the pain from about a 9-10 to a 4-5, which is much better but even that is not acceptable.

I have just moved to a new area and see my new GP tomorrow so I think I will ask him for a referral to a Neuro. My last Neuro said that they could do an injection that would kill the nerve permanently. Because this is so painful for me an is painful 24 hours a day, I may go for this option. He told me that after the injection that area will always be numb. But numb has got to be better than this.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I read your message regarding the problems that you have. I have the same problems and had the same surgery.

I go next week to see a doctor that will test me for any vitamins that I may be missing in my system. That is a start and after reading what you have it makes me believe that is what is wrong with me.

Thank you for sharing.

• Posted

I am a 46 year old male, who just had open heart surgery on Valentine's day 2017. I had an "LVAD" (Left Ventricular Assist Device) placed in my chest, which is a bridge to a now necessary heart transplant.

I have the exact symptoms that you describe, only it is in my right thigh. The symptoms, severe burning in the upper outside area of my thigh just started about 2 weeks ago. I have only experienced these symptoms in the middle of the night, but when I do, it is so painful, that it wakes me from a dead sleep, and recently has hurt so bad that it brings me to tears.

Anyone have any ideas as to why one would only experience the symptoms in the middle of the while sleeping? Also, has anyone found any stretching exercises or had Physical Theropy with regard to this condition that has proven helpful?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for any replies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.