Merina coil and Endometriosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've suffered with endo for over 25 years, I've been to see the gyne cons today with a hope of having a hysterectomy, but to no avail. Been told by the cons to try the coil....... has anyone else tried the coil and did it help??

Thank you in advance Karen xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Karen, why will they not consider a total hysterectomy? They have to justify that somehow.

I can't speak to the coil as it as invented after my total hysterectomy.

• Posted

Thank you for replying aitarg35939,

The consultant stated to me that they would rather try the coil then an injection to see if they worked before giving me a total hysterectomy and said regarding the implications of surgery and that I'm slightly overweight.

I felt I wasn't listened to and she basically discharged me into the care of my GP for the coil to be fitted. I'm going to ring my GP today and ask for an appointment to speak with them again.

thank you again for replying to me x

• Posted

Hi Karen, 

Ive had endometriosis since i was about 17 (i'm now 25) and had a laporoscopy when i was 19. Over the last year i have had all the same problems resurface and they told me to try the coil. 

I have had it for the last month and a half and its not been a great time. Ive had Mirena fitted. I've been bleeding ever since it was fitted (at sometimes quite heavily) and i've had the same level of pain i get during my periods which is quite intense. I also felt quite low at first, which i assume may be due to the hormonal changes but may just have been the constant pain and bleeding. Im not sure which.

It had started to ease off over the last week, although i have been trying alternative things such as vitamins that have been suggested to me to help. 

I'm hoping with time it will settle down, but just wanted to tell you how i have gotten on before you make a decision. I've read a lot of reviews online and know people personally who would really recommend it. My doctor also said there can be some bumps at first but these usually calm down after 1 - 3 months. 

I hope this helps! smile 

Chelsea xx 

• Posted

Hi I know this discussion was ahead ago but I am interested in knowing how u got on with the coil.i got it fitted during a laparoscopy last wk and in awful pain and non stop bleeding.it was pushed on me without any info. I don't want it in me if heard nothing but horror stories

• Posted

Hi, 

I’ve had it for coming up to a year now. The first three months weren’t great and I was in pain, bleeding and quite low! After six months it had settled down. The only thing I have (although still not sure if this the coil or not) is three-four very low days each month. 

It’s much better for me than the pill was and hopefully will keep my endo under control!

Hope this helps. 

Chelsea 

• Posted

Hi CSparks,

How is everything going with your mirena now? I too had the same experiences as you with my mirena at first. Things settled down after three months. I’m hoping it has settled down for you. 

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with endometriosis at the age of 22 after having constant issues with my periods since I was 12. During my laparoscopy, I had a mirena IUD inserted and I have to say it’s the best thing I ever did and I am thankful for listening to my gynaecologist. The first 3 months were tough, I had light red bleeding on and off (most days) and the cramps were quite painful. This eventually stopped. I have not had a period since, only light spotting and bleeding with occasional pain. The only downside to having the mirena is the pimples. I think this will only occur if you are prone to them though. It has gotten less over time. Did you decide to go with the mirena? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.