Merniers

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ok so the past few days my left ear has been hurting down in it really bad sharp pains this is the ear I have merniers in I went to my regular doctor yesterday and he said my ear drum was sucked in a lot witch let him know the pressure was off he told me to take zertec I'm not sure this will work I got up this morning and it's hurting bad and I feel blah not really dizzy just off balance a little. Can someone help tell me what I need I am scared to death that it's fixing to get bad the new ENT doctor I have said he doesn't want to give me anything till I see the neurologist I'm at a loss here I just can't get back down but I fear it's coming! Any suggestions would be great!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have a middle ear infection. Zirtec may help but adding a steroid nasal spray such as Beconaise or Avamys will likely speed up recovery significantly.

Beconaise is available over the counter in the UK but Avamys(stronger,better) is prescription only. If you have medication for Meniere's start taking it now as it is very unlikely to interfere with any tests you are about to have.

• Posted

Thanks neddyo. I really don't have any medicine for the Meniere's anymore other than Valium and meclizine for dizziness. But in all my years of having Meniere's I have never had ear pain and it worries me my regular doctor said my ear drum was sucked in. Maybe it is just a middle ear infection?

• Posted

I can't be of any help but I just want to say I'm sorry you are hurting and I hope you feel better soon.  Dealing with this stuff is so awful.  Take good care of yourself.  I hope you get some helpful answers from others.

• Posted

Ouch that sounds so painful. I would try some heat on it. Hot water bottle wrapped in towel would be best. Moist heat. If you don't have that then heating pad. Ibprophen for pain because pain is in the middle ear.

• Posted

Ouch that sounds so painful. I would try some heat on it. Hot water bottle wrapped in towel would be best. Moist heat. If you don't have that then heating pad. Ibprophen for pain because pain is in the middle ear. Make sure you are eating. Don't skip any meals.

• Posted

Thanks Angela. And yes it's hurting pretty good today I will try the heat and I'm trying to eat but I'm having to make my self

• Posted

I suspect your Eustachian tube is blocked - have you made any significant changes of altitude lately (flying, climbing etc). That might account for the ear drum appearance.
    • Posted

Naw neddyo I haven't been anywhere shoot I don't leave the house much. It has been really windy here.

• Posted

Hi Daniel 😃 I had the same thing a few weeks ago, here are a few things that helped me . Massage from my neck down my shoulders and up the back of my head and down . Relaxing the muscles around your head will help relieve some of the pressure in your eye . Sleep the less sleep I get the worst the fullness is in my head so try to get 8 hours sleep . Make sure your head is supported and there is no gap between your shoulders and neck make your pillow butterfly shaped to keep your neck and spine in line . Try to relax I know it's hard but stress makes things worst . Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks Tanya it does seem to make my neck sore also so this makes sense
  • Posted

Did the doctor say what is causing the sucked-in eardrum?  Meniere's disease does not do this.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist,

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Eleftherio he just said the pressure was probably off in my ear causing it. I got up this morning and it's hurting again pretty bad down in my ear. Do you have any idea what could be going on? I have never had ear pain before from Meniere's!

• Posted

Things that come to mind is either a blocked Eustachian tube, or otitis media (middle ear infection).  The pain is probably coming from the eardrum being stretched inwards.

• Posted

Eleftherio what is the best thing to do for it or what's the best thing to take to clear it up?

• Posted

You will have to ask ENT directly about what should be done in these cases.  My field is neurotology and I do not have experience in Eustachian Tube Problems.

• Posted

Ok thanks eleftherio. I will definitely be calling them today because I was thinking the pain wasn't coming from the Meniere's because it hurts all the way down my neck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.