mertazapine and venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all i wanted to put my story out thier , ive been on venlafaxine for over

14 yrs , late 2014 i started to attend a weight group due to putting weight on over the years, while i was attending we had to fill out the usual forms and answer questions on how we felt , this went on for a period of ten weeks , afterthis they suggested that i needed counselling again which i have had on 3 seperate occasions over the yrs, the therapist that i spoke to at the weight clinc said i had been on venlafaxine far to long and that it wasnt doing anything for me now, he gave me some suggestions on other meds and natural alternatives.

so i decided to see my gp,

after explaining to my gp about what the therapist said , i must say at this point my gp sent me to this clinic for my weight. anyway my gp said that i shouldnt come off venlafaxine and that i needed counselling , i didnt know what to think so decided to send for counselling and to take me off the venlafaxine,

after a week of reducing my venlafaxine from 150mg a day to 75mg a day , i started to feel shocking the thoughts of i be better off not here went to me feeling very vunrable and the possibility of really acting on this, so went to doctor and i saw a different gp who put me on metazapine 15mg to be taken at night then 37.5 mg of venlafaxine in the morning for a week then the following week to stop the venlafaxine,

i stopped the venlaxine and that same day i had terrible dizzyness waves of nausia,shakes constant ringing in my ears. so the next day i took half of the venlafaxine tablet and i felt better. yesterday sunday i didnt have a tablet and all the symptoms returned , i just put up with it for the day and was hoping that a good nights sleep would help ,but today i feel terrible, the symptoms are still bad and on top of it i feel realy irritated and every little thing just frustrating me, im going to speak to my gp tomorrow and see what she says, i should do.

the metazapine that ive been on along side with the venlafaxine as helped me sleep great for the passed 3 weeks and the thoughts of suicide have dissapated for now. on the other side of metizapine im feeling bloated, stomach ache and diarrhea, out of breath sometimes when walking i cant get my breah, my legs ache, first 2 weeks i was exausted thats eased now,

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Tracy be careful as mirtazapine is well known to contribute to weight gain and if it's already your concern perhaps you could speak to your GP and ask about this aspect. I was put on mirta as I had lost a lot of weight, which I was able to regain wuickly but I can't really see the logic for a person who wants to loose weight, it helps with sleep but that's not enough. You're most likely suffering wothdrawals from the previous drug and need to be very careful as mirta can cause one of most horrendous withdrawals too. You can email people from the cita website, they're very good with helping though withdrawal from drugs. Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi 1980

Thank you for your advice,I will mention it to my

Go. I feel like the gp as our most off the pressure

on me with my weight. Yes Ido need to lose some weight but while at this clinic I was going through a rough time so probably felt negative at the time.

Now it's not so much to do with the weight it's the withdrawal symptoms I'm getting. Also I'm

Worried about this new medication met and what effects it might have.

• Posted

I felt I had to contribute to this discussion. I've been on venlafaxine (225mg) and mirtazapine (30 mg) for more than 6 years, with good effects and no weight gain at all. It goes to show, everyone is different in their response.
    • Posted

Hi pixie I'm so glad that it's working for you, just

need to get this sorted out. Thanks for your input.

• Posted

hello tracy50580, 

I read your story, I just wanted to say that I've been doing a lot of reading about how diet directly affects our health in all ways. This can really be for anyone struggling to try. In my research, I've found that people that have changed their diet (dramatically I might add) have seen dramatic results in the mental and physical states. All stories include people juicing, some vegan - not all, but a huge plant and fruit based diet, and a huge part of that raw. Fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, water, juicing, limited lean meat, (never fried). It sounds difficult, but I've been trying and it's not so bad. I've been doing this during my work hours only, trying to get the hang of it. I eat ALL day during work. Just everything I eat in the daytime is raw - a fruit, veggie, nut, or seed. I sneak in a yogurt sometimes, but always organic. There HAS to be another way to heal than constantly giving up one medication for another medication, and taking this medication to offset the side effects of that medication. It's endless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.