Mesh for sagging urethra

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had hysterectomy i dec, now i have stress incontinence due to sagging urethra , i am having a mesh sling , has anyone had this , i believe recovery is pretty quick xx

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

please don't have mesh. In fact I thought it was banned at the moment. Join the group Mesh survivors on Facebook and see the horrors they have gone through. I believe they can repair without mesh using your own body flesh

• Posted

i believe it no longer used in england . i live in canada my surgeon assured me it was the best way and less invasive

• Posted

do all your research Mary beforehand. my friend in cal had it and has no end if issues. in fact she is thinking of having it removed.

• Posted

People are suffering dreadfully because of mesh complications There is a long waiting list of people waiting for removal in England Very few surgeons know how to remove mesh. Please do a lot of research. What ever your surgeon says it is not safe. Look on facebook. See the terrible stories.

• Posted

Look up Dr Elneil. one of the few surgeons able to remove mesh

• Posted

Hi there Mary ,

Ive had a long history of prolapse issues and surgery .

I have had a hysterectomy because of prolapsed uterus and 2 anterior and post posterior repairs and an entrocele repair . I had my urethra taped when the procedure came out in the early 2000's here in Australia .

In the late 90s I had a bladder lift quite a big surgery ( Cut across my abdomen ) that failed afterwards because I had to lift something so the Urethra was taped up was the answer for me. It was a quick and simple operation (10 mins) with no mesh so I’m wondering why they aren’t offering that to you instead .

I hope you can enquire about it because it helped me strsight away with the stress in continents even though my bladder is still prolapsed

• Posted

Tape Ribbon whatever they call it it is all mesh. It is plastic. Sometimes it takes years to have problems but if they come they can be very dangerous. Read up very thoroughly before allowing this foreign body to enter your body

• Posted

I actually didnt know that. way too late now though . thank goodness I haven’t had any trouble with it though. One thing though... I do not appreciate you 'fear mongering' women when we don’t know... it might be all okay.

I think we are supposed to be supporting and encouraging other women here. I think it’s not helpful to make women fearful on this site. I didn’t appreciate that at all !

• Posted

hi rose how long was the recovery when you had your urethra taped ?

• Posted

Hi I didn't mean to "fear monger" anyone I belong to a very large group of women all who have suffered from having mesh inserted. It is not banned in many countries for no reason. I wish someone had warned me !! I would have done more research and not just listened solely to my doctor. There is no need for mesh at all. I will not participate any further in this discussion

• Posted

I totally agree with you maws.. mesh is a terrible product place inside women.

in UK only a small amount of surgeons use it.

I also thought you were not scare mongering bless.x

• Posted

mesh is used in uk, I had it in Dec for severe uterine prolapse whenhad sacrospinal fixation. It can be used if patient correctly advised. It was the only option for me remaining and I trust the consultant. It appears perhaps, in the US in particular where it is banned, mesh was seen as a fix all where more conservative options could have been used.

It's a personal decision and I believe fewer complications for urethra than vagina

• Posted

thank you for your reply. my surgery is on tuesday ,i have lots of faith in my surgeon, and he said it would only take around 10 minutes to do

• Posted

yes Helen but only a handful of Urogynacologist will use it. my consultant us a proff and he will not touch it as the risks outweigh the benefits do I'm guided by him.

my friend had it done in Canada and had no issues.

• Posted

thanks. After having it myself it's unsettling having people say that cons outweigh the pros. I took 2 years to decide to go ahead after my anterior repair failed and prolapse worsened. I became unable to use a pessary to help as it would be pushed out and it impacted on all areas of life. Mesh surgery was my only realistic option, with a hysterectomy there is then a risk of vaginal vault prolapse which would mean further surgery. I hope that I am done, tho started bleeding today a week early for period and now fearful it is the mesh

• Posted

Thinking of you Mary. Im sure everything will okay . Im glad that youre feeling very comfortable with your surgeon . I can tell you from experience that I have never looked back from having it. it was my only option having severe stress incontinence because of a prolapsed bladder from the age of 18. I had the surgery in my 40s so I think I suffered enough ! Im now 60 .

This is just my own personal experience and I feel I am qualified to say it because of that. Others may have other experiences and that is their journey and they have a right to to say what they feel of course . but you have to take everything into consideration for your own peace of mind and life‘s journey

. so in view all of all that I’m hoping that all will go well I will say a prayer for you dear Mary take care xo

• Posted

as with everything we make the best choice for ourselves and go with the advice we are given and our instinct.

I'm sure everything with you will be smoothly all the way and I know thus us a very sensitive topic for women.

however with this forum we like to be honest and direct but also being good friends with our support and advice we share.

I send you healing hugs and for us ladies to be guided into the safest of hands of our surgeons and have faith we will all be happy healthy strong ladies that we all are.

hugs to you all especially you mary,we will do fabulously well.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.