Mesh incesional hernia repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

4 days ago i have had incesional hernia repair navel button using mesh. ReomoReomoved dressings todaytoday the what i am assassuming is the mesh purppurple is ststicking out

Is this meant to be like this and the mesh is going to be sticking out for life?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Eleanor,

Mesh should never be on the outside of the body. Is it possible that what you are seeing is the steri strip doctors use to help close an incision?

A steri strip can look a little mesh-like because they contain filaments.

If it is mesh, see your doctor immediately, because mesh outside of the incision creates an open communication to the inside of your body which is a clear route for infections. Keep it covered with a dressing/band aid in the meantime.

• Posted

please research mesh. It can cause a lot of issues and no it shouldn't be sticking out. Google it. I had pelvic mesh removed earlier this year but its made with the same polypropylene.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.