Mesh Surgery Or Not?

Posted , 7 users are following.

A year ago last April the doctor performing a colonoscopy aborted the procedure five minutes in. He said the inguinal hernia had constricted the colon preventing him moving his scope beyond that area...and added that until I had a hernia operation he could not perform the colonoscopy. My question...should I go with mesh or not? Judging by the many stories of regret I think my decision is made. Your feedback is welcomed by me.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Come on Salal, only your doctor can help with this. All you see here is the bad stories. There are more success stories that nobody reports. I had incisional hernia surgery without mesh. That worked for 2 months. Often there is no alternative to mesh. My second surgery was a mesh surgery. This was successful but took 6 months for full recovery.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Go with the mesh. I had bilateral inguinal hernia repair with mesh, with no problems, and was golfing three weeks after surgery.

• Posted

I had surgery on 3/24/17 and my hernia was 11 cm which was almost 6 in wide mine was a paraesophageal hernia where the whole stomach went fully up into my chest fo 3 yrs I literally thought I was dying I had a colonoscopy and they went down the dr referred me to the best surgeon but I had many more test done before the surgery I have 2 pieces of mesh in my diaphragm because of the size of it ,it took me 6 or 7 weeks to feel better and I would do it all over again .i first started hurting in my back and under my left rib cage I even had my gallbladder out I was still in a lot of pain they told me it was phantom pain I told them bull and waited 3 more yrs and went to a chiropractor that's when it happened when he push on my back to crack It I screamed so loud everyone came running in that when I new I thought I was dying then I got the results that I had a upside down stomach or a paraesophageal hernia I looked it up on YouTube and watched the video of repair of a paraesophageal hernia I am now 15 lbs lighter and feel great don't let mesh scare you I'm telling you mesh isn't bad just follow dr orders some drs make you go on a liquid diet my doc said you can eat anything BUT BREAD AND MEAT OF COURSE I COULDNT BUT I FEEL IM ON MY WAY TO A FULL RECOVERY GO FOR IT YOULL BE FINE

• Posted

My mum Just had umbilical hernia surgery and they said to her they would use the mesh, because if it gets infected antibiotics don't work as the mesh isn't attached to your blood supply. She is overweight especially in that area but they still wouldn't take the risk especially as they had to re-sect her intestines where they had become trapped in the hernia. It does mean though that the chance of the hernia recurring is 50/50.

• Posted

Hello and thanks. Did you mean to say they wouldn't use the mesh?

• Posted

Hi there. Mesh works for some folks just fine and others it won't. I had a 4.5" round mesh implant for an umbilical hernia about the size of a quarter done in December 2016. Had a very bad reaction to the mesh and swelled up so bad had to wear maternity pants. Yes, I looked that pregnant. Went through numerous tests looking for what might be wrong but when nothing was found the diagnosis was being allergic to the mesh composition. So on May 11th, 2017 I just had my mesh removed and the doctor sutured my hernia in place. The pathology showed high inflammation so in my case it HAD to be removed or live with horrible swelling and pain the rest of my life. I have to be very careful, obviously, because the mesh does provide a much more secure form of protection for hernias, but personally if I had a choice, I would not opt for mesh due to the possible complications. I did not know I was allergic to it and there is no way for anyone to know a head of time. Trouble is I have been laid up now for weeks the first time and unable to run my shop, now same thing this time. It will be another 2 weeks before I can even THINK about going back in and the doctor did tell me I wouldn't be fully healed for a year. It's a 50-50 thing I guess. If the mesh suits you, all will be well. If not...well take it from me, it's no fun having 2 major surgeries within a 4 1/2 month period. Good luck on your decision Salal.

• Posted

Hello linda3750,

Thank you very much for your insight. I'm going to email next week. I was waffling and told them I would get back to them. I feel more confident for one reason. Should the " no mesh system" fail the opportunity to go to mesh should still be an option. I've appreciated everyone's feedback. It's great to know there are so many caring people out there. Thanks again.

• Posted

I'm sorry this has happened to you I hope you start to feel better .im stating not everyone has a reaction to mesh I believe it's how the dr sews it in to the surgery I have not had a lick of a problem but I did have the best surgeon there is and I have 2 pieces of mesh in me

• Posted

How right you are Salal! I would definitely try the no mesh first and then of course you can get the mesh if needed. It might mean 2 operations but I've had 2 WITH having mesh and then removal. Just better off without it in my opinion. Take care and keep us posted!

• Posted

Two surgeries is no fun.  The incesional hernia required 6 wks of bed rest each time.  I don't remember the exact percentage, but something like 50% of non-mesh surgeries fail.  Mine failed immediately.  I do feel that the mesh is there but I couldn't live without it.  

• Posted

Go with the mesh. I've had two inguinal hernia ops on right and left sides done, open with mesh. Both successful, and i can do nearly everything, i could do before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.