Mesh used for pelvic surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I had pelvic floor surgery over a year ago due to prolapse in vagina

Since then I have had urge incontinence Its not too bad but occasionally I cannot control my bladder at all. The Dr said it was menopause but I never had this before surgery. Also it took over a year to be able to have intercourse and when we do i feel something sharp inside me. This is getting easier.

I have started to hear about people having trouble with the mesh being used in the surgery and am getting very concerned.

Would love to hear from others.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maws. Go to your doctor and asked to be checked or referred back to a urogynaecologist. The stitches should be gone by now but mesh can erode the vaginal wall so don't leave it longer in case this is what is happening. Are you in UK? Where you had it done is different in other countries but here I believe they are supposed to use the new soft mesh. I refused it as I'm allergic to polypropylene, nylon etc, the cause a bad reaction in me. Get checked asap. X rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you I will go to my doctor and see what she has to say

All a bit worrying !

• Posted

I'm sorry, but I think the Dr. you saw re. symptoms is talking garbage when saying those are caused by menopause!! Those are not symptoms of menopause!!! They are just avoiding the issue of mesh. Do you know if the mesh was stitched in place? I've got mesh, but pretty sure mine isn't stitched there. It could be one of those stitches causing the problem if yours is stitched. I seem to think my Urogynae told me if placed correctly, at right tension, that it didn't need stitching. I don't have any problems (in fact stress incontinence was 99% cured after op) but I am worried when I think about the problems mesh is causing in some. I think it's recently been banned here in NZ! Ugh. Mine was 2 1/4yrs ago. My Urogynae told me pre-op that the cheap nasty Chinese mesh that started all the probs had long gone. Immmmm

• Posted

Hi Yes I started to hear about all the problems with mesh and it started me worrying

Heading back to my doctor this week

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.