Metallic clips left on my liver, after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the forums.

I had gallbladder surgery a couple of years ago. But I have only just found out (from reading the results of my CT scan as a result of ongoing gastro problems) that there are metallic clips on my liver hila(?), after gallbladder surgery. 

Is it normal for the clips to be left after surgery and why wasn't I informed about them?

Will they cause me any problems, in the future?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The clips used in gallbladder surgery are made of titanium. They stay in the body. This is something that you need to ask your doctor about.  Best of luck to you.  
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for your message.

Yes I will ask the doctor at my next appointment.

• Posted

You're welcome.  I know it's scary to contemplate.  I had upper jaw surgery years ago.  it was segmented and moved back.  I still have two wires that held it in place on ether side of my nose.  Somewhat discomfiting, but it's been 28 years...

• Posted

hi, i think most of us has this clip, i was always afraid it would slip off, ?? but i wasnt told either,think its standard practise,?
    • Posted

Hi 

Thanks for your message.

Yes that's my worry that they will either fall off... or pierce!

sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.