Metallic taste

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have a metallic taste in their mouth?  It is really debilitating. Wondering if it is a side effect of Boston Scientific scs. Reps at company claim they never heard of this before. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Not had any implants, but do suffer chronic cervical stenosis.  Had a strong metallic taste in mouth a couple of years ago, my gp put me on antacid prescription. When I got home I checked the meds on internet only to find that the side effects had bad worldwide press and many EU countries had banned them. Never took them, metallic taste went after a couple of weeks.

Mike.

• Posted

I have the Boston Scientific and I don’t have a  metallic taste in my mouth
    • Posted

So happy you don’t. Hope you never experience it. How long have you had your stimulator?
  • Posted

Hi Sharon43169,

I have not heard of it. But have you been taking any new medication lately? I ask because that happened to me and it was my medication.  Try looking up the side effects of your meds.  Just a thought.

• Posted

Nothing new! Have been researching for 18 months. Very frustrating.
    • Posted

The only thing I can think of is to see if your Dr. do some blood work to see where it is coming from. Good Luck 
    • Posted

OH OKAY...YOU SOUND UPSET...I HOPE YOU FIND THE ANSWER AND GET HELP THO...GOOD LUCK.

• Posted

Not doubting your claim that it is your implant, but what is your theory for the mechanism of action for the side effect--ie how does the side effect happen? I am just curious.  Why does just the Boston Scientific do it and not the St. Jude?  I know how it is getting mistrustful of the reps, I got so very mad about the lying with the battery life of the non-rechargeable.  They sold it to me as a 5-7 year battery and here I was getting a notify your doctor you need to change it out 6 months after insertion.  I was sure I got a dud, but no, they looked at it and said that I had really just used that much of the battery life in only 6 months.  Now how is that possible that you can sell a battery as lasting 5-7 years but it is possible that someone can run it down in 6 months, that just shouldn't be possible to do. You would think my legs would have been on fire at that high a rate of discharge of the battery. I thought it was incredibly false advertising and I had been lied to. No one should be able to run down a 7 year battery in only 6 months.  When that happens then you wonder what else they are lying about. At that same time I was on this board with Dee, who had been schnuckered into getting paddles instead of leads for her permanent placement and the entire St. Jude enterprise suddenly seemed very shady to both of us.  I am now a year past all that, I got a second SCS placed for my neck and I let that bad feelings about St. Jude cloud my judgement about my decision for my neck SCS so that I feel I have the inferior choice of SCS for my neck. So, you have to be careful when you start down the slippery slope of blaming and judging medical devices. They can suddenly take on an "evil life" unto themselves if you let them, if you gather enough negative information on them.  If you had talked to me a year ago I'd have jumped into a St. Jude class action suit as I was having to have the damn thing moved or replaced for the 3rd time in less than a year.  However, now, I love it. I have only come full circle because I've gotten to experience the limitations of the Nevro. I've gotten to experience the sheer relief of having the rare stimulation in my ankle with CRPS with my pain in the ass St. Jude SCS. That SCS I was so mad at is now programmed so that it hits both that ankle and my back and has reduced the agonizing ankle pain a bit.

Anyway, long post, but sometimes, you have to work with these "medical marvels" and the reps who come with them to get the best out of them. I had a debilitating side effect with mine--sciatica, and had to have surgery to get it moved. I'd still rather have it, and have no back pain as I write this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.