Metalwork pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I broke my ankle and the bottom half of my leg 9 years ago and have plates and screws put in place. I generally get an achy leg when its cold weather. Its been a little cold the last couple of days but now with the sunny weather the ache is still there and its radiating up my leg to my knee.

Is it the hardware that could be causing this? Would it be worth getting it all taken out?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello there! 

I just had my hardware removed this morning. I had a trimalleolar fracture and following ORIF around Christmas time last year. I know that it is not the same as having hardware for nine years, but my hardware definitely gave me aches when weather was cold of when it was rainy. I am also hoping to gain more flexibility with this surgery. I can update you on my situation in a couple of months if you wish. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi

I would like to know how you get on please.

At my last 12 week check up was told my metal work might have to come out as still in so much pain going back in 3 months to see.

After your surgery did it hinder your progress?

Do you have to rest again?

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Britta, 

I don't have much to report on yet. It has been only three days since the surgery. I am NWB for 5 days. I can say that there is no pain, just aches. It feels like a bruise on both sides of my ankle. There is no cast this time, just gauze dressings for padding and elastic tape to keep it in place. I am supposed to wear a boot, but  I skip it as I am staying home for now. I use crutches to get around. On day five I am allowed to remove wound dressing, start taking showers and start putting weight on injured ankle as tolerated. I am to see doctor in two weeks after the surgery for further instructions. Someone from hospital called me on day two to check on me. He asked me how do I feel, about pain levels and if there is a sign of swelling. There is no visible swelling. But I keep my foot elevated and iced as much as I can. I have worked from home today (computer work) and it was not bad.

I was giving hydrocodone acetaminophen after surgery, but I have not used it at all. Just plain ibuprofen does the trick for me.  I hope to be back to the levels I was before after two - three weeks and hopefully gain more ROM this time. Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to share my experience.

• Posted

Hello

Did you have it all removed?

Was it because of constant pain there?

Did this involve an overnight stay at the hospital?

Why do you have to be none weight bearing again?

Many thanks

• Posted

Yes, I had all of it removed nine screws and a plate.  I decided to remove all of the hardware as it was bugging me. I could feel it when I touched and my ankle was throbbing when weather is about to change. The surgery itself took about half an hour. My surgeon said that to removed only the plate it would take ten minutes, but I wanted it all out so it took longer. I stayed about another hour in post op. I was discharged home after that.  So all together it took from 9am (when I started paperwork) till 1pm (when I was in the car going home). I have to say that I have not stayed in the hospital even my first time around. They told me my first time that it depends on the pain level. So if my pain level would have been high and required drugs on the pump I would have had to stay. I am not sure why I have to be NWB for five days. I would assume that it is because that bones are brittle because of nine hols that are left from the screws. I would think it would be the same reason why they want be in a boot for two weeks. Just to protect the bones till holes fill up with soft tissue.

All in all it was much easier that the first time. I am longing to start walking again. Crutches are not fun.

• Posted

Thankyou for info

I am dreading my return for a check up but also am fed up with ongoing pain.

Please keep posted on your recovery

I wish you well

• Posted

Britta, 

I am on day seven after the surgery to remove hardware from my ankle. I started walking (in the boot) on day six. I started walking with two crutches, but figured out that I can walk without them pretty soon. Today is my second day walking and I walked 2900 steps today  + seven floors up and down today according to my watch. I have not ventured outside yet. May be tomorrow. Pain is tolerable.  I take ibuprofen twice a day.

• Posted

Morning

This is great news

Encouraging to read and gives me hope should I need this surgery also

Hope you carry on progressing well

• Posted

I was on my follow up doc visit today. Stitches were removed and I was giving an OK to ditch the boot. This is one day shy from two weeks since my surgery. I was told not to soak my foot for another week to make sure that incisions healed enough and not to run/jump/etc for another two weeks. Ankle is a bit tight on the heal side where there is a bit of swelling and on  incisions. All in all it is a piece of cake compared to the first surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.